Carney too Fullback it's a Done Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tries Off Kicks View Post
    Of course, the halves combination can accept no responsibility for the 2009 disaster

Nothing to do with them
    Everyone has to take responsibility but it's too hard to judge players in a bad team, if you go back over the past few season the halves combination as Smith pointed out has been one of the better ones in the competition.

Basing it on half a season like you did just above is a little rash, Braith might have been suited to lock 2-3 years ago but no longer... he's a very solid ball player these days and I doubt he could take the defensive workload. I can see why Smith is hesitant on moving him to lock when it has been dominated recently by those who can consistently make 40 tackles a game.

Comment

If Carney is fullback for 2010, we are bottom 4 specials.

One of the strengths of Carney is his kicking game i.e. Ability to get 40/20's etc
      Now many fullbacks do you see regularly kicking. Yep, about none. What a waste.

I can't wait to Souffs smash us. Maybe then Smithy will wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rhodes View Post

One of the strengths of Carney is his kicking game i.e. Ability to get 40/20's etc

Bowen & Hayne do it quite regularly, no reason why Carney can't.

Carney's main strength is his running game, picking it up as a second or third receiver and running at the line, he can still do this from fullback although we miss a little bit of his creativity before and into the line if we play him at the back.

Biggest worry is how he will go under the high ball and his positioning at the back, playing Mini there is certainly the safer option imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tries Off Kicks View Post
          Of course, the halves combination can accept no responsibility for the 2009 disaster

Nothing to do with them

But its okay for you to lay the blame solely at their feet?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rhodes View Post

I always thought you were a toothless souffs fan.At last you have admitted it...

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
              I don't know where people get off saying Braith + Pearce has been a failure...they were 2 of very few that actually had a go most weeks last season, can't help it when you have blokes outside you that are either second rowers out of position, disinterested or can't catch a flipping ball or all of the above (*cough* Sa *cough*)

In 2008 with one genuine finisher out wide in Amos we had no issues coming 4th - time for the armchair experts to shut the **** up and leave the coaching to Brian thanks.
              Spot on. Gees, we haven't even played a trial and the season has already been declared an abject failure!

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
                great post, two years ago Anasta and Pearce were tearing it up and everybody was giving them great pats on the back. How quickly we forget.
                I remember a stack of tries off kicks, not too much else..

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
                  great post, two years ago Anasta and Pearce were tearing it up and everybody was giving them great pats on the back. How quickly we forget.
                  Let's see how they go with a proper coach.
                  Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                    In the one proper season together they finished 4th under mediocre coaching with a very ordinary centre pairing, that's a failure? 2009 don't even bother - the team was heartless, soft, every inept concept you can come up with. We could have scored 40 a match and still would have lost most of the matches with how pathetic that mob was.

I want to see Carney at 1 before writing it off, unlike the supposed experts on this place.
                    The other season in which they played more than half the season together we were running last..

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
                      They were our playmakers and failed.. In 2008 when teams worked out our game plan, 5 hitups and a kick to the Wing on the 6th we struggled to win a match.. We won something like 3 of our last 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
                        I'm not solely blaming them for 2009. Just saying that if they can take some credit for 2008 then they can cop some blame for 2009

If they are the halves combination again in 2010, the Roosters will not trouble the good sides

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                          The other season in which they played more than half the season together we were running last..
                          I think 2009 had more to do with attitude than ability.
                          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

I remember a stack of tries off kicks, not too much else..
                            When your centres are Mitch Aubusson and Setaimata Sa what would you expect?

Comment

They were our playmakers and failed.. In 2008 when teams worked out our game plan, 5 hitups and a kick to the Wing on the 6th we struggled to win a match.. We won something like 3 of our last 11.
                              I didn't realise Braith and Mitch wrote the game plan.

Like I said, mediocre coaching + lack of options out wide doesn't give your halves many options, the kick to score or Toops, Braith combo down the right was all we had in 08 and we still won 70% of our matches because the effort and belief was there.

If Brian wants to go with Carney at fullback, then we should at least see it before blasting the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                                Bowen & Hayne do it quite regularly, no reason why Carney can't.

Carney's main strength is his running game, picking it up as a second or third receiver and running at the line, he can still do this from fullback although we miss a little bit of his creativity before and into the line if we play him at the back.

Biggest worry is how he will go under the high ball and his positioning at the back, playing Mini there is certainly the safer option imo.
                                Once or twice a game is regularly?

Carney previous running game was good because teams didn't know whether he was gonna run or pass. As a runner only at fullback he will be very predictable.

we miss a little bit of his creativity before and into the line if we play him at the back.

Sounds like you don't like the idea yourself. Either your a fence sitter or perhap just like to be a sheep and go with the establishment all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X