Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L
    Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
    I read somewhere in the last day or so that the GF was one of the highest rating in the last 20 years or maybe ever (perhaps someone else can confirm). Compare these ratings to the rating for the entire season and I am sure they still don't balance out.

The NRL and Channel 9 threw a massive hail mary imo. They bet the farm on Souths and in the short-term they have hit paydirt. However, in the long-term the credibility of the sport has taken a massive hit that will become more apparent over time. In reality they will never make the ground they have given away imo. Sport is meant to be a fair and genuine contest, not maufactured entertainment for the lowest common denominator.
    What he said.
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
      and don't hold your breath for a logical explanation as to why we receive so few penalties.
      The reason we receive so few penalties is because we're undisciplined.

No joke, that's what everyone says. Even though it makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

We simply don't deserve them.

That's why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
          I read somewhere in the last day or so that the GF was one of the highest rating in the last 20 years or maybe ever (perhaps someone else can confirm). Compare these ratings to the rating for the entire season and I am sure they still don't balance out.

The NRL and Channel 9 threw a massive hail mary imo. They bet the farm on Souths and in the short-term they have hit paydirt. However, in the long-term the credibility of the sport has taken a massive hit that will become more apparent over time. In reality they will never make the ground they have given away imo. Sport is meant to be a fair and genuine contest, not maufactured entertainment for the lowest common denominator.
          First GF I haven't watched since 1973. I refused to watch a team that I hate and a team that I despise when the result was a foregone conclusion. I couldn't believe the number of people who thought it would be a tight affair. The bookies knew what was going to happen and had Souffs as the shortest favourite in GF history. There was no way I was going to subject myself to the Souffs wankfest that Channel 9 was going to serve up. I think this glut of Souffs media will do a couple of things....it will attract some more fairweather/bandwagon fans....but it will turn the already crusted on NRL fan against them. The phrase 'Souffs is everbodies second team' will die as a result

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
            First GF I haven't watched since 1973. I refused to watch a team that I hate and a team that I despise when the result was a foregone conclusion. I couldn't believe the number of people who thought it would be a tight affair. The bookies knew what was going to happen and had Souffs as the shortest favourite in GF history. There was no way I was going to subject myself to the Souffs wankfest that Channel 9 was going to serve up. I think this glut of Souffs media will do a couple of things....it will attract some more fairweather/bandwagon fans....but it will turn the already crusted on NRL fan against them. The phrase 'Souffs is everbodies second team' will die as a result
            Agree emphatically.
            First time I've taken no pleasure in seeing the Berries lose a gf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

Also all the other teams "step up" their discipline against us.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                TOK how do you explain how Souths were the first team in 25 years to get over 200 penalties with the second best some 35 penalties behind?
                Teams play the same teams more or less. Did teams become ill disciplined when they played Souths this year?
                I believe penalty averages are down on last year yet Souths received over 30% extra to what they received last year.
                I don't have the stats but I would be interested to see how many back to back penalties they got this year compared to others.
                With that much extra possession you would agree that it is far easier to win games. Possession and momentum is what usually wins you games. It is also fair to say that the opposition can't really score without the ball so maybe that defensive record would not look so positive.

So say they didn't get the luxury of having those extra penalties and countless back to back penalties, you would have to say that they would have struggled to make the top 4. And 8th position was only 3 games off them.
                Souths play a power game, big forwards running through the middle with very quick play the balls and it's fact, they have the biggest forwards in the comp. Most teams to combat this would have to go to extremes to slow the big Burgi and their pack down. This involved slowing play the balls down by leg pulls , hands on ball, off side in the ruck and any other method designed to slow them down. It's my belief that Souths incurred most of their penalties around the ruck and due to these reasons. When you add this to their mistake free game plan and discipline in defence, they come up trumps in penalties conceded and received.
                Last edited by TDK; 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDK View Post
                  Souths play a power game, big forwards running through the middle with very quick play the balls and it's fact, they have the biggest forwards in the comp. Most teams to combat this would have to go to extremes to slow the big Burgi and their pack down. This involved slowing play the balls down by leg pulls , hands on ball, off side in the ruck and any other method designed to slow them down. It's my belief that Souths incurred most of their penalties around the ruck and due to these reasons. When you add this to their mistake free game plan and discipline in defence, they come up trumps in penalties conceded and received.
                  I bet you're a creationist.

Comment

Your right. Plus the luck always go's with the team playing the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie View Post
                      I bet you're a creationist.
                      No, just a realist who likes to call a spade a spade.

Comment

Rubbish! Souths were the kings of milking and crawling forward after being held instead of being told to go back and play the ball on the mark.. Hopefully the premiership win will see them on a level playing field in 2015??

Comment

• Originally posted by turk-283 View Post
                          Rubbish! Souths were the kings of milking and crawling forward after being held instead of being told to go back and play the ball on the mark.. Hopefully the premiership win will see them on a level playing field in 2015??
                          This. Also I remember inglis pulling marks side ways when playing the ball so they weren't square. I really remember him doing it against the dogs and ennis saying it to the refs.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk-283 View Post
                            If they change the wrestle rules again then their F@@ked.

Comment

No, just a realist who likes to call a spade a spade.
                              A realist would see the huge imbalance in the way the game managers apply the very grey rules that have evolved.
                              I don't like sport being "manufactured" to the extent we are witnessing, and I don't think the Burgii are the second coming.
                              They are just very naughty boys.

No sour grapes here, just a another realists opinion.
                              I think Souths received a huge leg up and the NRL are barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

If they change the wrestle rules again then their F@@ked.
                                Players need to start tackling around the legs again.. Its that simple! Pisses me too see wankers like Ginglis being allowed to stand in tackles [because defenders tackle high]when the thing he hates most is a player snapping his knees together and falling him like gangly dork..

Comment

Working...
                                X