Some positive signs going into the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some positive signs going into the season

I think there were many positive signs to take from the weekend heading into the new season. It's important that the club took this tournament seriously as it is a good indication of where the boys are at and how the depth is looking for the season.

- I think we looked very fit. Many teams looked quite tired over the weekend, early on in their matches. However we kept turning up in defence and the intensity across the two days was quite good and hardly dropped. If anything, our fitness let us down last season, largely due to the disrupted pre-season. But the boys looked in good condition and coped with the pace of the matches well. I think the fact that, unlike the other teams, the players were only subbed at the order of the coaches rather than at their own choice when they were tired, shows a great level of discipline in the group.

- Our defence was very good, especially through the middle. I think it's largely due to the fitness levels of the boys, as their scramble and desire in defence was very good overall. I know it's a completely different game to a regular match but the signs are their that our defence will be quite good in 2015.

- The depth looks good, especially in the forwards. Taukeiaho, Setu and Manu all showed positive signs, especially with their footwork which is a skill Robbo mentioned about them before the tournament. I also thought Mitch Williams was impressive and didn't disappoint, definitely proving he will be an option throughout the season.

- The regulars looked good and much sharper than last season. This is especially true for Maloney and Pearce, who look determined to have a big season. I thought they showed great leadership on the field and were crisp with their passing game and running.

I understand the game layout is very different to that of a normal league match, but on the whole I think the desire and attitude of the group is quite good heading into the new season. The fitness of the boys also looks good which will be valuable in the tough, opening rounds of the season.

Originally posted by rwbfl View Post
    I think there were many positive signs to take from the weekend heading into the new season. It's important that the club took this tournament seriously as it is a good indication of where the boys are at and how the depth is looking for the season.

- I think we looked very fit. Many teams looked quite tired over the weekend, early on in their matches. However we kept turning up in defence and the intensity across the two days was quite good and hardly dropped. If anything, our fitness let us down last season, largely due to the disrupted pre-season. But the boys looked in good condition and coped with the pace of the matches well. I think the fact that, unlike the other teams, the players were only subbed at the order of the coaches rather than at their own choice when they were tired, shows a great level of discipline in the group.

- Our defence was very good, especially through the middle. I think it's largely due to the fitness levels of the boys, as their scramble and desire in defence was very good overall. I know it's a completely different game to a regular match but the signs are their that our defence will be quite good in 2015.

- The depth looks good, especially in the forwards. Taukeiaho, Setu and Manu all showed positive signs, especially with their footwork which is a skill Robbo mentioned about them before the tournament. I also thought Mitch Williams was impressive and didn't disappoint, definitely proving he will be an option throughout the season.

- The regulars looked good and much sharper than last season. This is especially true for Maloney and Pearce, who look determined to have a big season. I thought they showed great leadership on the field and were crisp with their passing game and running.

I understand the game layout is very different to that of a normal league match, but on the whole I think the desire and attitude of the group is quite good heading into the new season. The fitness of the boys also looks good which will be valuable in the tough, opening rounds of the season.
    All it showed me was none of the lower graders are ready for first grade yet or shouldnt be there at all. Napa ad JWH are gonna walk the tight rope all season but are scary bastards.
    I value Toups on the wing ......really replace him ? let him go? where else are you gonna get a 6.10 big show to play on the wing..yeah slackened off a bit last year ...big deal ..he stays in my books.
    Maloney will be in hot and cold form like last year...me thinks.
    Defense wise we are always on the money attack wise we arent bad the 9's attack wise we were abysmal apart from Pearce maybe the lack of experienced back had some thing to do with it.
    We will miss Mini.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

The way we played against the sharks, will take us forward this season. We had composure, the sharks throw the ball around with no care. It was 9's, playing loose will win games. Id rather the structure we showed.

Comment

I agree. We might not have had the 9s style to win the comp but our defence was shit hot considering the early start. Pearce and maloney looking lethal. Jwh fitter than we've ever seen. We improved out of sight on last year's nines. We'll only be better when we can add friend, Jennings, fergo, cords and Guerra.

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned Aubs.

Comment

I thought he was just about our best runner. Still runs the best lines in the game.

Comment

Good call. Was our best by quite a way I thought.

Comment

I thought that to claim the nines was a bonus and that showing up was testament to promoting and representing the club. I think the focus was on getting our structure and halves combination in sync given our tough start to the season. Looked on track to ambush the cowboys in round 1 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by justjuice1992 View Post
                  I'm surprised no one mentioned Aubs.
                  Yes he was also very good. He'll be raring to go this year now SBW is out of the picture

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
                    All it showed me was none of the lower graders are ready for first grade yet or shouldnt be there at all. Napa ad JWH are gonna walk the tight rope all season but are scary bastards.
                    I value Toups on the wing ......really replace him ? let him go? where else are you gonna get a 6.10 big show to play on the wing..yeah slackened off a bit last year ...big deal ..he stays in my books.
                    Defense wise we are always on the money attack wise we arent bad the 9's attack wise we were abysmal apart from Pearce maybe the lack of experienced back had some thing to do with it.
                    We will miss Mini.
                    Spot on as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
                      We will miss Mini.
                      Bro' spot on except you forgot to say about Stapo's impressive performance and physiqeu.

Comment

Originally posted by SoS View Post
                        Bro' spot on except you forgot to say about Stapo's impressive performance and physiqeu.
                        Its a non event
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Working...
                        X