YAK'S report - Wyong trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAK'S report - Wyong trials

I'm posting this on behalf of Yak who had some difficulties trying to do so himself.
    As usual Yak, on behalf of the Pen thanks for sharing your valuable feedback with us especially those of us who couldn't be there. We look forward to your Manly trial report if you venture out next weekend.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Ferguson – Probably only carried the ball 5 or 6 times. Had a couple of dummy half scoots early from
    the Wyong half. Wyong had a couple of sets on the Penrith line at different times early in the first
    quarter and produced very little with Cornish and Molan producing the wrong options, so Blake
    didn’t see any quality ball for a while. The play that he scored off was about the third time we’d
    been down there and the movement looked far crisper. Ferguson received the ball with a bit of
    space, put a nice left arm fend on his centre and kept driving to carry the cover over from about 8m
    out. His second try was a nice line run. He and an edge forward doubled up on the Penrith half and
    Cornish picked Ferguson the outside man and he went over untouched. Immediately after that he
    came off and spent the rest of the game with ice on the foot. His defence was very good while he
    was on. Put a couple of heavy shots on and I can’t recall a poor read from him. He looks very big and
    fit. First one out on the field, looked very hungry.
    Cornish – Was pretty poor throughout. Seemed to be standing a bit flat and quite often had to cut
    back inside because of Penrith’s linespeed. Had a couple of good touches and didn’t make any errors
    from memory, maybe one errant pass. Expected a bit more running from him because that is by far
    the strongest part of his game. Can’t see him getting anywhere near first grade even with a halves
    injury. Nice select pass to Ferguson for his second tries. But didn’t use him like he should have early,
    instead kept hitting the lead runner, and then wouldn’t even follow up with a short side quite often

YAK'S report - Wyong trials

McIllwrick – Went off the same time as Fergo and we didn’t see him again. His service was maybe a
    little off on their line early. But that improved and points came from it. Made a couple of good
    scoots from dummy half, picked his moments well there. Was strong in defence while he was on.
    Very competent in that area. Looks like he’ll be starting for Friend to start the season. But I’d say he
    and Mitch Williams will each get a good run there against Manly in the next trial.
    Kennedy – Looked fitter than ever out there. I’d say he’s down to 110-115kg from the 122kg he was
    at last year. Much more mobile in defence which is promising. Still has that similar movement into
    the line which looks a bit ineffective. Had more impact in his runs than Stromquist though, making
    10m most carries. Only the one penalty he was involved in.

Leuluai – Pretty disappointing really. Didn’t get much ball and really should have been used more on
    the line imo. Defended well while he was on. Had one damaging run where he bumped a few off and
    dragged a few more. Hopefully he gets involved a bit more against Manly.
    Papalii – Didn’t get on for a bit, maybe 30-40 mins in. His runs were infrequent but boy he’s got
    some power. Took 6 defenders to stop him and hold him up at one point in the second half. An
    enormous human and very fast for his size. They had him in the centres for portions of the game
    where he was just catching a cold. Might do very well playing on the edge off good halves.
    Holden Cup – A reasonable showing from the boys, considering the Penrith side had a bit more
    experience and they were missing their best two players in Mitchell and Butcher. A couple of players
    worth commenting on:
    Joseph Manu – Very exciting young player. Got a very Sheck-esque step on him. Made fools of a
    couple of the Penrith boys yesterday.
    Charlie Taylor – Wasn’t involved much playing centre. Made a nice run downfield in the second half.
    showed a bit of footwork and toe. Looks a fair way off the top grade to me though.

Piki Rogers – Played well at lock. Had some good runs supporting his front rowers and a couple of
    good offloads.

The No.8 – Without a match day program it was tough figuring out who was who. But I think this
    was Poasa Faamausili. He looked best of the forwards with some really strong runs and a few good
    offloads. Might have also been Shiem Mariner or Richard Skelton though

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post
      McIllwrick – Went off the same time as Fergo and we didn’t see him again. His service was maybe a
      little off on their line early. But that improved and points came from it. Made a couple of good
      scoots from dummy half, picked his moments well there. Was strong in defence while he was on.
      Very competent in that area. Looks like he’ll be starting for Friend to start the season. But I’d say he
      and Mitch Williams will each get a good run there against Manly in the next trial.
      Kennedy – Looked fitter than ever out there. I’d say he’s down to 110-115kg from the 122kg he was
      at last year. Much more mobile in defence which is promising. Still has that similar movement into
      the line which looks a bit ineffective. Had more impact in his runs than Stromquist though, making
      10m most carries. Only the one penalty he was involved in.

Leuluai – Pretty disappointing really. Didn’t get much ball and really should have been used more on
      the line imo. Defended well while he was on. Had one damaging run where he bumped a few off and
      dragged a few more. Hopefully he gets involved a bit more against Manly.
      Papalii – Didn’t get on for a bit, maybe 30-40 mins in. His runs were infrequent but boy he’s got
      some power. Took 6 defenders to stop him and hold him up at one point in the second half. An
      enormous human and very fast for his size. They had him in the centres for portions of the game
      where he was just catching a cold. Might do very well playing on the edge off good halves.
      Holden Cup – A reasonable showing from the boys, considering the Penrith side had a bit more
      experience and they were missing their best two players in Mitchell and Butcher. A couple of players
      worth commenting on:
      Joseph Manu – Very exciting young player. Got a very Sheck-esque step on him. Made fools of a
      couple of the Penrith boys yesterday.
      Charlie Taylor – Wasn’t involved much playing centre. Made a nice run downfield in the second half.
      showed a bit of footwork and toe. Looks a fair way off the top grade to me though.

Piki Rogers – Played well at lock. Had some good runs supporting his front rowers and a couple of
      good offloads.

The No.8 – Without a match day program it was tough figuring out who was who. But I think this
      was Poasa Faamausili. He looked best of the forwards with some really strong runs and a few good
      offloads. Might have also been Shiem Mariner or Richard Skelton though
      I was up watching the games as well and my best players in the forwards were Richard Skelton, and no12, saying that All the forwards played well, showed strength and pace and made some good breaks, a huge side. Jonny TS played well on the wing as well as . Would have loved to see the ball get out to Charlie Taylor more during the only 2 quarters he played, noticed he went searching for it, in that short time he showed some of his speed and his defensive game was rock solid with some one on one hits, the only outside back I noticed to make a good break / run on his opposite side. I am hearing from the club Robbo has big plans for this kid, he needs the ball in his hands and in space to utilise his speed and you won't catch him. staff have told me Taane Milne who is another good solid player will be one centre, Charlie Taylor the other centre and Latrel Mitchell will be fullback. Hetherington made some good solid hits as well and showed plenty of mongrel. This will be a great team, solid in the backline as well as the forwards, the Wyong Roos have always been a solid club with Mitch Williams, Fergo, Leivaha Pulu, Martin Kennedy etc they will go really well this year

Comment

And to think that some people wanted Cornish ahead of Pearce not that long ago.

I really hope that MLK's career can kick on finally. This really does seem like his last chance to break it in the NRL. Otherwise he may end up on the ESL scrap heap like Tasi.

I'd like to see Papalii eventually play as an impact player for 20 mins midway through the game off the bench. He looks solid.

Was that stromquist guy playing and was he any good?
        Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Interesting to see the comments about Martys bulked down and looking fitter...have to say the same from training pics about all the guys this year..notably JWH too.

Fitter and leaner than last year as a whole I'd suggest.

Watch out.

Comment

Thanks Yak & theGman.

Kennedy will be nothing different to what he was last year or the year before.

Comment

Love your work Yak/Gman.

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Thanks Yak. I always enjoy reading your match reports.

Comment

Thanks Yak.

I had heard that Mcillwrick has arthritis in his knees and it was affecting the quality of service he could provide and it was the reason why Canberra started to mold him into a lock, haven't had it confirmed by anyone at the club but a bit worrying if it is.

Comment

good reports thanks for the efforts

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                      Interesting to see the comments about Martys bulked down and looking fitter...have to say the same from training pics about all the guys this year..notably JWH too.

Fitter and leaner than last year as a whole I'd suggest.

Watch out.
                      Preferences for bulk vs fitter and leaner seem to change from year to year, depending on rule changes and/or 'interpretation' of the rules by the referees. With Robbo on the committee, wonder if he has formed a view that fitter and leaner is the way to go in 2015 and if so, why?

Comment

Working...
                      X