Mini's still the one for Rooster greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini's still the one for Rooster greats

SYDNEY Roosters team of the century fullback Russell Fairfax has questioned the logic behind shifting Anthony Minichiello to the wing in favour of Todd Carney.

In a move designed to re-ignite the Roosters' attack, new coach Brian Smith has outlined a blueprint to use Carney as a ball-playing No 1 similar to Newcastle's Kurt Gidley.

The call means the Roosters' favourite son Minichiello will be restricted to roaming out wide on the wing, where he first burst into the NRL as a teenager in 2000.

Not everyone is behind the move, with club legends Fairfax, Arthur Beetson and Luke Ricketson all pushing for the 2005 Golden Boot winner to be utilised in the more familiar No 1 jumper.

"I don't know if Mini would be as effective out there to be quite honest. I'd rather see him playing fullback," Fairfax said.

"Hot sides have hot fullbacks and Anthony Minichiello's got that turn of speed. He's got power and he loves that creative licence to roam all over the park.

"If Mini's fit, he could be the best fullback in the world. And let's face it, that would add a whole lot of ammunition to the Roosters' backline."

Regarded as the world's premier custodian before a four-season injury curse, Minichiello still harbours a desire to call the fullback jumper his own.

Over the past four months, the Roosters flyer and new coach Smith have had several discussions about the plan - with the veteran coach confirming the move was far from set in stone.

"It's not too bad. Smithy and I have had quite a few chats about the key guys in the team being multi-positional in terms of playing seven, six, one and lock," Minichiello said.

"There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be back at fullback at some points during games and in the first part of the season. But my main focus is just trying to play the whole season."

Since the start of the 2006 season, Minichiello has managed only 33 out of a possible 97 matches as he has battled neck, back and ankle injuries.

Smith pointed out how Minichiello played five-eighth, wing, centre and fullback for the Roosters last season and stressed the move would depend on how Carney, a half or five-eighth at Canberra adapted to his new role at the back.

"Nothing's permanent, no one should break out in boils. If it doesn't look like it's going to work then that's one of the luxuries knowing Mini can play fullback," Smith said.

Beetson reasons the sky is the limit once Minichiello, who is off contract at the end of the season, proves he's fit.

"We tend to forget how good he was before he was injured. That's the sad part about it," Beetson said. "He was the best fullback in the world, keeping people like Billy Slater out of the Australian side."

Ricketson added: "There's probably no one more damaging at the back than Mini, so it's a bit of a sacrifice having him on the wing."

The Roosters are an unbalanced side with the addition of Carney. I really don't like Mini not being the custodian but I'll keep an open mind on the subject.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Oh great, armchair heroes undermining Smithy already....no surprise it's a telegraph article either......PLEASE JUST LEAVE US THE **** ALONE FOR ONE DAY.

Comment

We have one too many five-eighths (Braith and Carney). We have one too few first-grade tested centres (Graham).

That is the problem.

This left us with the option of moving Anasta to lock, and then shifting Aubusson to the other position - which is what I thought we would do. The other option was move Carney to fullback, Mini to wing and SKD to centre, which is what Smith seems to be running with now.

Comment

Poor old Russell, loves his name in print.
          He certainly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

While I don't necessarily disagree, there are reasons I agree with for doing what Smith is doing. I also remember Mini in the cowboys game and he was disgraceful in that game
          The Internet is a place for posting silly things
          Try and be serious and you will look stupid
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with Russell. If Mini can stay fit he will be a better fullback than Carney will ever be. And whats more we finally have a class 5/8th in our team since Freddy retired and what do we do play him at fullback.

I hope Carney fails in teh trials at fullback because I reckon he could be the best 5/8th in the comp

Comment

in all honsty, we will see mini play at fullback, Carney will assume the role in attack, Mini on defence and kick returns, don;t be suprised to see that

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
              To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
              At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
              Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
              The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Dolphin View Post
                I agree with Russell. If Mini can stay fit he will be a better fullback than Carney will ever be. And whats more we finally have a class 5/8th in our team since Freddy retired and what do we do play him at fullback.

I hope Carney fails in teh trials at fullback because I reckon he could be the best 5/8th in the comp
                Thats a tough call on Todd. He's an up and comer with the future ahead of him, just like the young winger Mini. I hope he succeeds, Mini isn't going to be around forever, and I think we need long term consistancy in the 1,6,7 and 9. Whilst I wouldve preferred seeing him in the halves, that obviously isn't going to happen yet so this is without a doubt the best option!

Comment

Mini in his prime was the best in the business - the golden boot and rep jerseys prove that beyond any doubt - but he is 4 years with no consistent football and chronic injuries. It is a huge call to talk about the 2010 Mini in the same way as the 2005 version.

Comment

So Mini has had 3 interrupted years due to injury...as bad as it has been it has more than likely extended his playing career...he is a fullback...an explosive one at that as well...Mini to fullback and Carney to 5/8...any other experiments will delay the inevitable...

We will see Anasta puttin up midfield bombs until round 7 or 8 and then SMith will make the call and put Mini back to fullback and push Anasta to lock and ingnite Carney to razzle dazzle with Pearce...hopefully it won't be too late...

PS Brian Smith...if you want to win a comp in your life...play the strongest player in his rightful position...get it right for once...you've been trying for 25 yrs now for runner up medals only...look for the g spot...it will bring you multiples...

Comment

Mini at his best has no peer at fullback, but I like having him on the wing, after all the injuries hes had i think it will be less pressure on his body, i know he has the heart of a lion, and he will still be able to contribute as a fullback whenever needed. A lot of people think that after last years debacle we have no hope this year, but with a fit mini back as an inspiration and example to the young guys and all the other talent we have i think we will be in the semis for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                        Oh great, armchair heroes undermining Smithy already....no surprise it's a telegraph article either......PLEASE JUST LEAVE US THE **** ALONE FOR ONE DAY.
                        This is why we have the first 5 or 6 games on free to air television. EVERYONE is interested to see us fail. We have the luxury of being the most wanted to watch team in 2010.

I say enjoy the critics and general interest in the Roosters year. No wonder Steggles got on board....we have had more interest and news coverage in the off season than any other team

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFella View Post
                          SYDNEY Roosters team of the century fullback Russell Fairfax has questioned the logic behind shifting Anthony Minichiello to the wing in favour of Todd Carney.
                          WRONG! Mini is the Roosters team of the Century Fullback!

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                            What rubbish, he has a valid point that a lot of people agree with.

I don't think Mini can get back to his best but I do think he is an adaptable player who is still far and away our best option at fullback.

I have no idea why you would sign one of the best 5/8 / halfback's in the game to play him out of position. I keep hearing that it's to keep the halve pairing together which makes less sense IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post
                              What rubbish, he has a valid point that a lot of people agree with.

I don't think Mini can get back to his best but I do think he is an adaptable player who is still far and away our best option at fullback.

I have no idea why you would sign one of the best 5/8 / halfback's in the game to play him out of position. I keep hearing that it's to keep the halve pairing together which makes less sense IMO
                              I just dont get why Smith wants to keep an under preforming halves combo together, rather than get something new going.

I just hope that Smith has taken note of Haynes game, and plays him in a similar role. I just don't think Carney will handle the high ball as well as hayne does.

Comment

Working...
                              X