• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooster's players caught skolling after match

Mini leads the way

Players take to the soft stuff after hot Sunday GLENN JACKSON
    March 23, 2010

SYDNEY ROOSTERS players drank water after their win over Wests Tigers on Sunday - no surprise there in this age of alcohol bans and new beginnings at the club. What was different, though, was just how much they consumed on this night.

''I skolled two big bottles straight after the game but I'd still lost 2½ kilos,'' winger Anthony Minichiello said. ''I had to duck off to a wedding after the game, and I was trying to drink all this water just trying to get myself going.''

Mitchell Aubusson, meanwhile, spent the off-season putting on five kilograms for his move into the forwards … then promptly lost all but 1½ kilograms in 80 minutes.

''It is difficult,'' Aubusson said. ''It's a lot of force-feeding, and then drinking a lot of fluids. Twenty-four hours after the game is probably the most important.

''I was struggling a bit, I've got to say. I had a good feed with my brother [James] after the game and just had to eat and drink and get all the fluids going. But I struggled to sleep, like a lot of the boys. I'm happy it's over, to be honest.''

Which is why this week is about more than just video sessions, fitness and the usual training drills for many NRL players. Two recovery sessions and urine tests, as conditioners check that the players are rehydrated, will dominate the build-up to their clash with Canterbury on Sunday.

For a number of sides, this week will be less about how they tear up the training paddock and more about how they recover. The Roosters' opponents during the weekend, Wests Tigers, will be another, having to play just five days after the Sunday scorcher.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
    To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
    At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
    Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
    The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

the effect of the extreme heat on Sunday will be Smith's major concern heading into the bulldogs match.

skill and speed wise we have the bulldogs covered across the park, but if the roosters are slightly off the pace thanks to the effects of the heat last weekend the bulldogs still have enough to take the points off us.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
      the effect of the extreme heat on Sunday will be Smith's major concern heading into the bulldogs match.

skill and speed wise we have the bulldogs covered across the park, but if the roosters are slightly off the pace thanks to the effects of the heat last weekend the bulldogs still have enough to take the points off us.
      Unbelievable - but true.

I can't believe the turn around to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
        Unbelievable - but true.

I can't believe the turn around to date.
        Too right, its like they replaced last years squad, with yours and my clones

Comment

Remember at the beginning of the season there was a bit of an uproar over the Roosters getting scheduled for consecutive Sunday afternoons with the associated Ch9 coverage? I wonder if any of those whingeing back then would like to swap places and play in the stifling heat for a third week in a row? Any takers?
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
            Remember at the beginning of the season there was a bit of an uproar over the Roosters getting scheduled for consecutive Sunday afternoons with the associated Ch9 coverage? I wonder if any of those whingeing back then would like to swap places and play in the stifling heat for a third week in a row? Any takers?
            Its not great from a footy point of view, but for the supporters its brilliant!

Nothing better than a sunny Sunday afternoon at the footy, I can't wait for Penrith in a couple of weeks.
            FONK

Comment

I hope we don't lose our Sunday day game advantage...we have a young side that is still full of energy when the older opposition start to get weary in the heat...it's a good conditioner for the GF too...

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteandbluester View Post
                Its not great from a footy point of view, but for the supporters its brilliant!

Nothing better than a sunny Sunday afternoon at the footy, I can't wait for Penrith in a couple of weeks.
                I wouldn't mind if the weather was a little cooler but Sunday footy is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                X