• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dugan denies speculation that he's poised to join the Roosters

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0505-uanv.html

DAVID BENIUK
    May 6, 2010

CANBERRA and Country fullback Josh Dugan has rubbished rumours linking him with rival NRL club the Sydney Roosters.

The 20-year-old rising star has echoed Roosters CEO Steve Noyce in denying he is Sydney-bound after the rumour mill was fuelled by Dugan knocking back a one-year contract extension with the Raiders.

Canberra boss Don Furner has gone to the length of showing the club's offer to salary cap auditor Ian Schubert in a bid to ensure any rivals for Dugan's signature play by the rules. Dugan is contracted until the end of 2011.

''I've been signed with Canberra since I was 16 and I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone or even have the slightest idea of what's going on,'' Dugan said yesterday.

''I don't really look into much of that because I know it's not true, my manager [Daryl Mather] knows it's not true, but there's people out there that believe it.

''I know what's happening and it's really my life and my career that I'm looking after and none of it's true. I've still got until next year, I'm not even allowed to talk to any clubs so I don't know where this has come from.''

Dugan knocked back Canberra's latest offer, which reportedly would have raised his earnings by $400,000, but said that did not mean he was leaving.

''In the end it's me looking after myself and I wasn't really happy with the deal,'' he said.

''But my manager and the club are working on that so we'll sort something out soon.''

In good news for a beleaguered NRL, Dugan pledged his future to the league.

''I've grown up watching rugby league since I was two years old,'' he said. ''I love the game and I don't think I could ever see myself playing union or AFL.''

Meanwhile, St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper has defended his absence from Country Origin sides, while officials remain cagey about his State of Origin chances.

Cooper received a blast from Country chairman Jock Colley after the former Test star withdrew from tomorrow night's showdown with City only to be selected for the Dragons' clash with Manly to be played 24 hours later.

Colley said Cooper would not be selected for Country again on his watch and should be barred from playing Origin after missing the past five intrastate Origin trials.

Cooper told Rugby League Week: ''It's disappointing that people think I didn't want to play [last year].

''I can't help getting injured.

''Yes, I did play that weekend for the Dragons but I needed four needles and couldn't train all week.''

AAP

Welcome Joshua
    Red, White and Bluesters!!!

Comment

Just imagine if we signed Dugan.

Pearce
      Dugan
      Hargreaves
      Carney
      Friend

You'd struggle to find any club with that quality of youth.

Surely we'd be first club on the petition to increase the cap

Comment

That should make Don Furner happy.

Of course if he admitted that he had spoken to the Roosters then we would be in deep shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
          Just imagine if we signed Dugan.

Pearce
          Dugan
          Hargreaves
          Carney
          Friend

You'd struggle to find any club with that quality of youth.

Surely we'd be first club on the petition to increase the cap
          Canberra

There's two from Canberra on ur list, ironically

Comment

Good - make up for stealing dave shillington

Comment

Watching him in CvC you can tell this kid is gonna be huge, there's no way we'd be the only club sussing him out.

Comment

Josh Dugan

NYC

2008 - 18 games, 14 tries, 18 linebreaks, 6 LB assists, 6 try assists, 150 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 169 metres

2009 - 6 games, 9 tries, 7 linebreaks, 5 LB assists, 6 try assists, 69 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 200 metres

NRL

2009 - 19 games, 1 try, 9 linebreaks, 2 LB assists, 4 try assists, 110 tackle breaks, average 20 runs for 192 metres

2010 - 8 games, 2 tries, 6 linebreaks, 1 LB assist, 2 try assists, 65 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 157 metres

+

CvC - 1 try, 1 linebreak, 5 tackle breaks, 18 runs for 209 metres

He is a tremendous talent, seriously. There are going to be some blistering young fullbacks coming through the NRL ranks soon. Tigers have Jake Mullaney, Panthers have Lachlan Coote, Rabbitohs have Malcolm Webster, Knights have Neenan Simpson, Broncos have Dane Gagai, Sharks have Nathan Gardner...and if the Raiders do lose Dugan by some chance, watch for young Hayden Hodge, he is a freak too.

A few years down the line, I would like to see a backline of:

1. Dugan
                2. Perrett
                3. Kenny-Dowall
                4. ?
                5. Blair/Moeakiola
                6. Carney
                7. Pearce

With the 4 position, Linnett has yet to show that he is up to FG standard yet, Tuigamala hasn't been given a shot in the centres this year, and Williamson has seriously dropped his form. I rate Towers and Naughton, but I don't see them displacing Perrett on the wing or Dugan at fullback, and Blair or Moeakiola provide more size on the outside flank.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
                  Josh Dugan

NYC

2008 - 18 games, 14 tries, 18 linebreaks, 6 LB assists, 6 try assists, 150 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 169 metres

2009 - 6 games, 9 tries, 7 linebreaks, 5 LB assists, 6 try assists, 69 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 200 metres

NRL

2009 - 19 games, 1 try, 9 linebreaks, 2 LB assists, 4 try assists, 110 tackle breaks, average 20 runs for 192 metres

2010 - 8 games, 2 tries, 6 linebreaks, 1 LB assist, 2 try assists, 65 tackle breaks, average 17 runs for 157 metres

+

CvC - 1 try, 1 linebreak, 5 tackle breaks, 18 runs for 209 metres

He is a tremendous talent, seriously. There are going to be some blistering young fullbacks coming through the NRL ranks soon. Tigers have Jake Mullaney, Panthers have Lachlan Coote, Rabbitohs have Malcolm Webster, Knights have Neenan Simpson, Broncos have Dane Gagai, Sharks have Nathan Gardner...and if the Raiders do lose Dugan by some chance, watch for young Hayden Hodge, he is a freak too.

A few years down the line, I would like to see a backline of:

1. Dugan
                  2. Perrett
                  3. Kenny-Dowall
                  4. ?
                  5. Blair/Moeakiola
                  6. Carney
                  7. Pearce

With the 4 position, Linnett has yet to show that he is up to FG standard yet, Tuigamala hasn't been given a shot in the centres this year, and Williamson has seriously dropped his form. I rate Towers and Naughton, but I don't see them displacing Perrett on the wing or Dugan at fullback, and Blair or Moeakiola provide more size on the outside flank.
                  Maybe young JP at centre?

Comment

I would love for that to happen, honestly, but JP is clearly struggling for a bit of form. He definitely has the raw potential though.

I like that SKD and Williamson are both off-contract at the same time, 2011. They are both similar players in the same positions. We should keep one, have them fight it out for the same position and whoever is showing the best form by the end of 2011, we should keep on.

3. the power centre - SKD or Williamson
                    4. the strike centre - Graham (if he is still fit and firing) or Du Plessis

As talented as Towers and young speedster Mark Kheirallah are, Sam Perrett has that speedy winger spot locked up, and the only way either of them could crack the team is if Anasta goes and we DON'T get Dugan, in which case Perrett should shift to fullback and Kheirallah to the wing, OR Towers straight into fullback.

Tuigamala should push for that centre spot too, he was put in the wrong position on the wing in FG, but at centre is where he shows the most spark and looks dangerous.
                    Last edited by The Mack; 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

i think u mean if we dont get dugan Mack

Comment

Originally posted by r*o*o*s*t*e*r*s View Post
                        i think u mean if we dont get dugan Mack
                        Correct, edited. Thank you =)

It is nice having some competition for spots, in terms of young talent and potential.

If Dugan doesn't come, we have Carney, Perrett, Towers, Naughton fighting it out for the fullback spot.

Perrett, Naughton and Kheirallah duking it out for a wing spot, SKD and Williamson pushing for a centre spot, Du Plessis and Tuigamala going for the other, Blair and Moeakiola out for the last backline spot.

Kheirallah is one of the fastest runners of the ball I have seen in a long while.

Comment

Working...
                        X