Wille Fires a shot a Roosters Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wille Fires a shot a Roosters Fans

"WILLIE Mason is hardly worried about the abuse he will cop from the Roosters faithful at the Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow night.

"There will only be 7000 there on a Monday, so it's hardly a huge build-up," Mason quipped yesterday.

Mason expects to be public enemy No 1 - again - when he runs out for the Cowboys against his former club.

And he was at his wise-cracking best before the showdown with the club that punted him at the start of the year, revealing:

* He has no ill feelings towards any of the Roosters board and remains in contact with chairman Nick Politis;

* His famous "fat blokes in suits" comments was not directed at the Roosters board and only upset "fat blokes in suits - all the fit dudes didn't care";

* Todd Carney was a classy player who needed to be shut down;

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

* His knee was fully recovered and there was no reason his best football was not ahead of him;

* Salary-cap dramas and Test football had not taken any of the limelight off his Roosters showdown.

Mason, who showed he remains popular in Sydney as he posed for photos with fans at the airport, said he had given no thought about his Bondi Junction homecoming.

"It's just another game for me," Mason said. "I'm sure the fans will give it to me. If they're not my home fans, most other fans give it to me anyway, so I'm not expecting anything less. It will take a lot to get under my skin.

"I didn't leave under bitter circumstances, I've got nothing against the club and they've got nothing against me.

"I'm still good mates with all the boys and administration, and I still speak with Nick a lot.

"Brian (Smith) has watched me play for 11 years, he knows what I can do, but I've got nothing to prove to him, the Roosters or anyone else."

Mason, who enjoyed dinner with Carney and Roosters enforcer Nate Myles last night, said he had regained fitness and was keen to force his way into the Blues side for the Origin opener on May 26.

He knows his huge price tag always brought expectation at the Roosters, something he failed to live up to because of injury.

"I didn't think I was up to playing at that level, Origin or City-Country, at any stage last year," Mason said.

"But anyone who has had a knee operation knows it takes 18 months before you're back to your normal ability, and it's about that time now for me. I feel I'm back to playing at nearly my best.

"I'm excited about going forward and playing good football and those (rep) jerseys come with playing good football. I can only get better."

Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello, who faced Mason on Friday night in the City-Country clash, said of tomorrow's match: "He is a funny bloke, we certainly miss him around the club, but I'm sure the fans will like to say some words.

"When people change teams they have friendly banter, but it won't faze Willie. He'll just laugh it off."

What is wrong with anything he said????

Comment

Originally posted by pearcesworstnightmare View Post
      What is wrong with anything he said????
      nothing - but he is still a tool !!

has he cashed his tab tickets from round 26........that would be my sign for the game

Comment

He is probably right about the crowd size, but I will be spitting expletives left, right and centre on Monday night!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post
          nothing - but he is still a tool !!

has he cashed his tab tickets from round 26........
          LOL thats the exact same comment i said to a mate of mine on face book.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
          To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
          At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
          Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
          The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

I'm indifferent to Mason so he won't be getting a rise out of me.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If Willie Mason brings a few extra thousand to the game it will be the best thing he has done for the Roosters in a long time.

The parting of Willie Mason and the Roosters has probably been as good for Willie as it has been for the Roosters. He is having a real go for NQ and there is talk of an origin spot (though imo there are plenty ahead of him).

Although I am glad he is gone, it shows how much a major knee injury takes out of a player. The Roosters have lost a few players (for various reasons) now after poor years coming back from knee injuries (Monaghan, Mason, Hodges) - all have gone to have much better seasons the year after.

I hope Cherrington and Cordner are given plenty of slack when they first come back.

Comment

There wasn't a large crowd at the Roosters vs Canberra game and that was a very interesting night.

Bring it on.

Comment

This is true Loz, but I dont think that any of those from far north QLD are going to be any match for the Chookpen.....

Besides, those who hailed from the south were a very "special" group of people......

Comment

Here's hoping Willie takes the opportunity to visit his shonky mates in Sydney and places a bet on the Roosters winning tomorrow night.

Comment

the only diff with cherro is that he has osteoarthritis.

Comment

He is certainly careful about what he says about the Roosters.

"Me and Nick still talk..."

"I've got nothing against the club..."

Pity the club has something on him that ensures he keeps his mouth shut.
                        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                          He is certainly careful about what he says about the Roosters.

"Me and Nick still talk..."

"I've got nothing against the club..."

Pity the club has something on him that ensures he keeps his mouth shut.
                          That is working both ways unfortunately

Comment

Big willy is potentially a great player, but he is in it to make money and do enough to cover his arse and that is all. He reminds me of mundine in boxing, big headlines but not really beating nobody.

Comment

We shoulda made him captain
                              Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Working...
                              X