No announcement yet.

How far can the Roosters go this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can the Roosters go this year?

Before the game against the Rabbits, I didn't think the Roosters had enough fire in their bellies to build momentum to give the premiership a shot this year.

After Friday's game, I think there is a chance we can actually give it a shake this year. It will obvious need a bit of luck with injuries as is the case with any team. It would also be nice to get a favourable result from the refs.

Luck aside, our team looks to have the right structure with Anasta now at lock, Mini improving at fullback and Carney carving them up in the halves. We have a big in form pack and great halves. Teams in the past have won comps on that basis. Our outside backs still seem to be a week to week proposition, but Linnet has provided more depth in this regard and they are a solid backline rather than brilliant. More importantly, the team look to have spirit and fire to build momentum leading into the finals.

The most significant factor though is the lack of competition. St George are the standout, but are certainly not unbeatable. They still have the chokers tag to get rid of as well. The comp looks similar to that the year the Tigers played the Cowboys in the grand final - i.e. wide open.

I think the Roosters could knock over any of the other teams if they play at their best.

Thoughts?

on our day we could beat almost any team in the comp, the problem still is consistency, we are unlikely to be able to put the 4 wins together back to back in the semis to win the comp.

i'm just enjoying the fact we have restored some pride in the jersey over recent weeks and are far and away exceeding everyone's expectations for what amounts to a rebuilding year.

Comment

it won't take much to fall out of the 8 this year. I was playing around with the ladder predictor we will have to continue to step up

Comment

If we make the semi's it will be a big achievement

The positive spin is we are starting to see consistency especially with respect to defense and commitment for 80 minutes which was our biggest issue from 2009. Our attack and kicking game is starting to develop nicely.

If we can maintain those positives and also improve our go forward we can be a real threat to at least go beyond one semi final appearance.

We have improved out of site but the Bulldogs game is still in the back of my mind and we could relapse easily if we don't turn up.

Comment

FF, the Roosters that have played the last three games will make the finals but won't win the competition.
          The Roosters that lost to the dogs, sharks and cowboys will not make the finals.
          So, it all depends on which Roosters show up on a regular basis from now on till September/October.
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post

If we can maintain those positives and also improve our go forward we can be a real threat to at least go beyond one semi final appearance.

Ah, nice to see someone else has noticed this too. Some of the yardage sets against the vermin were woeful, particularly in the first half. The win has allowed us to gloss over this aspect of the game but I recall thinking just how poor the go-forward was at stages on Friday night.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Just had a look at the market odds. We are sitting at $23 and 9th on the tote.

I think this weeks game will say a lot as to whether we are actually building some momentum. I think I will put a lazy $50 on. Theres not too many teams around that can claim to have a hand on the trophy. The Dragons may have one hand on the trophy but the other is around their neck.

Manly are listed as 3rd favourite FFS! They aren't even in the 8 at the moment!

Comment

Manly are overrated this year. Have been since round 1.

Everyone expects Hasler to drag this rabble to the finals, but with the deadwood in their team plus their inconsistant halves, they have no chance aside from making up the numbers this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                  Ah, nice to see someone else has noticed this too. Some of the yardage sets against the vermin were woeful, particularly in the first half. The win has allowed us to gloss over this aspect of the game but I recall thinking just how poor the go-forward was at stages on Friday night.
                  The only forward to make over 100mtrs was Maubs, the rest of the forwards were sub 95.

The Dummy half running from Perrett, Skd and Mini was what drove us, all three of them popping over 120mtrs each.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
                  To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
                  At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
                  Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
                  The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                    It was much worse the week before against the Raiders, I think we have the skills in the team but we need to win the ruck a little more and Friend also need to inject some spark from dummy half at times.

Comment

I'm happily getting on the $20 odd we are at the moment.

Dragons will choke, Panthers lost a game where they had 80% possession, the rest cant be taken seriously.

Here we come.

Comment

We can win it....trouble is there's about 6 others who can win it too

Comment

Originally posted by Fleabag Fletch View Post
                          Thoughts?
                          Your assessment is spot on, I hold no fear for the 3 teams above us on the ladder, so there is no reason why we can't give it a shake this season. The last 3 weeks we have shown a consistent steel in defence, if we hold that the rest will fall into place and lead us deep into the finals.

Comment

tough 3 weeks so I am hoping having a bit of a longer turn around helps

Comment

If we can put 3 wins together, we could become a threat.

Can't wait for the Dragons to choke.

Comment

Working...
                              X