• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finch defends refs

Braith Anasta issues warning on poor decisions in run to the finals

* Margie McDonald, Stuart Honeysett
    * July 20, 2010 12:00AM

BRAITH Anasta has issued a warning that refereeing errors could cost a team a place in the finals.

With seven rounds remaining, just four points separate seven top eight hopefuls.

That has Anasta and many senior players concerned about a recent spate of poor refereeing decisions.

Anasta had a heated exchange with whistleblower Gavin Badger in Sunday's match against Canterbury and Souths coach John Lang lashed out at the referees after seeing his side lose to St George Illawarra on Friday night.

"It's such a tight competition at the moment," Anasta said.

"We're all doing our jobs, so it's important the referees do theirs. A couple of losses and you're out of the running."

Anasta acknowledged the role of a referee was not an easy one, although recent mistakes had been made by very experienced whistleblowers.

"Coming into the big games they've got to get the big, the tough, decisions right," Anasta said.

NRL referees coach Robert Finch rejected the suggestion that match officials could determine the fate of a club's season.

"There are 24 games that adjudicate whether you make the semis -- not one," Finch said.

"All of these statements have been trotted out for years on end and this is no different than any other at this time of the season when coaches and referees are under pressure."

Anasta had a running battle with Badger during Sunday's win over Canterbury and felt his side had been on the receiving end of several poor decisions.

They included play being called back for a forward pass from Anasta after Joseph Leilua had made a break and another try being disallowed after the Roosters lock was ruled to have knocked-on in the lead-up.

Finch was happy with the standard of officiating in Sunday's game and said the only questionable call had been the forward pass against Anasta
    . That call was made by former NRL player turned match official Henry Perenara.

"Everyone's complaining and whingeing because they want more footballers involved -- well it was a footballer who called it," Finch said.

"I don't think that was forward and we've gone over that with him today and he's acknowledged that."

Anasta did not take a backward step yesterday when asked to reflect on his running battle with Badger.

"It was tough. As a captain you've got to give respect to the referees week in, week out, but it's frustrating when you get some bad calls you feel aren't right," he said.

"But it's happening to a lot of teams at the moment.

"There's not much you can do about it -- you just hope it improves."

He agreed with Souths skipper Roy Asotasi that there appeared to be little point in trying to argue with referees.

"Once the decision is made, it's made. But you hope as the game goes on they get it right.

"When it keeps happening, it is frustrating."

Anasta chalked up his 200th NRL game on Sunday and admitted the anger at some decisions nearly got the better of him against Canterbury.

Finch also rejected calls from Souths chief executive Shane Richardson to scrap the dual referee system and revert to one official controlling the match.

"I've got no idea if it's going to be reviewed or not, but let me tell you, two referees is a must in the modern game," Finch said.

"The value it's added to our game . . . the rucks are cleaner than they've ever been. If you want to go back to grappling and wrestling and massive fatigue levels on referees, go back to one referee.

"But I've got all the stats to form my opinion that two referees is a massive bonus to our game."

fuk you finch you pig, just shows he has it out for us. the irony of this is that he is whinging himself..

The sooner this idiot is punted as ref's boss the better.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

what so he is fine with the bullscums forward pass leading up to their try, what a joke, it is clear there is a bias in the ref ranks and that the NRL want a St Merge vs Tigers grand final.

Comment

[QUOTE="The value it's added to our game . . . the rucks are cleaner than they've ever been. If you want to go back to grappling and wrestling and massive fatigue levels on referees, go back to one referee.
        [/QUOTE]

this guy is off his nut talking about two referees.. the rucks are cleaner!!!!!! what farekn game are you watching...

massive fatigue levels on referees... its there fukn job u idiot... have a cry

u are the biggest wanker i have ever seen more then ur dickhead son

Comment

This almost makes me madder than the terrible calls themselves, because this means nothing will be done about it.

If this prick doesn't acknowledge the chronic incompetence of his referees, then nothing will change.

The situation required him to face the press and say "sorry for an off day, and we are doing our best to make sure it doesn't happen again." Instead, we get bullish denials from the man who has done more to destroy rugby league than anyone else since Super League.

It is disturbing that he actually thinks such a performance is acceptable.

Finch is a cancer that needs to be removed from our game.
          FONK

Comment

"There are 24 games that adjudicate whether you make the semis -- not one," Finch said.
            That has got to be my favourite quote this year. Dismissing the importance of single games, especially at this time of the year that can push you into or out of the 4 or 8. That can cost you games on a weekly basis when it comes down to things like 1 or 2 wrong penalty calls in tight games. Or that those 24 games are 24 individual performances where the refs are EXPECTED to do a decent enough job so come this time your team can actually MAKE the semis. And he did it all in one sentence!

Champion.
            Last edited by Chickadee; 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Easy to see where Brett get's his incompotence from.

Chook.

Comment

I knew finch snr would do nothing !!!!

Fark me, how the hell does he keep a job !!! the refs, from now on, are to be known as Koalas !!!! Bloody protected species !!!!!

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
                To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
                At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
                Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
                The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

I was listening to Talkin Sports last night and Harragon defending the refs as having an ok game. He agreed the pass to BJ was not forward but disputed its importance because "the player had a lot of work to do to score"

He said the BA try ruling was correct because Anasta "clearly knocked on". I watched the replay when I got home and for the life of me could not see when Anasta's hand lost contact with the ball and/or ball propelled off Anasta onto Kimmorley before he regathered, despite all the slow mo replays

Referee blunders is one thing but when their "coaches" come out and justify the rulings, then fark me

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Morley View Post
                    I was listening to Talkin Sports last night and Harragon defending the refs as having an ok game. He agreed the pass to BJ was not forward but disputed its importance because "the player had a lot of work to do to score"

He said the BA try ruling was correct because Anasta "clearly knocked on". I watched the replay when I got home and for the life of me could not see when Anasta's hand lost contact with the ball and/or ball propelled off Anasta onto Kimmorley before he regathered, despite all the slow mo replays

Referee blunders is one thing but when their "coaches" come out and justify the rulings, then fark me
                    Would have been fair enough if say it was SKD who took the pass.. A 3 on one would not have been so certain

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Morley View Post

Yeah but that's Harrigan. The same guy who thinks the refs are doing a great job but are too scrutinised.

Did you hear Hughes' reaction to the try when Jenelle called? "To the letter of the law it wasn't a try". Plus apart from the Anasta forward pass he hardly saw what the fuss with the refs was all about. Couldn't believe the reaction from Gould. The only commentator in radio, TV and newspaper land to think that. The most freaken biased dogs and rooster hater in the land. He needs a decent smack across his oversized head.

BTW Anasta was on 2UE last night and said that a player knows when he scores a try and he swore the ball never left his hand and he scored a fair try. But he also understood after seeing the replay how they could come up with the decision but felt it was worthy of a BOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                        Would have been fair enough if say it was SKD who took the pass.. A 3 on one would not have been so certain
                        That tought came to mind as I was driving and listening

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                          Yeah but that's Harrigan. The same guy who thinks the refs are doing a great job but are too scrutinised.

Did you hear Hughes' reaction to the try when Jenelle called? "To the letter of the law it wasn't a try". Plus apart from the Anasta forward pass he hardly saw what the fuss with the refs was all about. Couldn't believe the reaction from Gould. The only commentator in radio, TV and newspaper land to think that. The most freaken biased dogs and rooster hater in the land. He needs a decent smack across his oversized head.

BTW Anasta was on 2UE last night and said that a player knows when he scores a try and he swore the ball never left his hand and he scored a fair try. But he also understood after seeing the replay how they could come up with the decision but felt it was worthy of a BOD.
                          I was only listening to them as I have driving home at about 6.30 so I missed Janelle's call

Hughes would have been fuming with the loss. He was only grilling Harragon last week about our play the balls against Souths and how poor they were and why we were not penalised/called up before the Aubs try. The farkwit was trying to influence Harragon to point out flaws to be watched - he may have succeed with the penalty count but not the result

Comment

The New FOFF must be resurrected until the turd is flushed.

Comment

Originally posted by OVP View Post
                              The New FOFF must be resurrected until the turd is flushed.
                              The new FOFSF

Comment

Working...
                              X