Roosters have no ego problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters have no ego problem...

This is an article in today's Australian by Brent Read. It was a genuine pleasure to read, especially Pearce's impression of Mini and his recognition of the 'team-first culture' that has permeated through the players. That's something that has been missing for a while in the Roosters. Thank god its back.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225899745976

HALFBACK Mitchell Pearce last night insisted the Sydney Roosters' lack of ego would keep the club's premiership campaign on track.

Pearce said the no ego environment, epitomised by captain Braith Anasta and fullback Anthony Minichiello, would ensure the club's premiership campaign was not derailed by growing expectation.

The Roosters started the season as wooden-spooners but their ascent to genuine contender was confirmed when they were installed as outright second favourites to win the premiership.

In response to another scintillating performance, this time a 48-12 win over the Eels at Parramatta Stadium which entrenched the Roosters in the top four, TAB Sportsbet shaved their premiership odds to $6. Only St George Illawarra is shorter.

As the pressure is certain to increase heading into the finals, Pearce warned the Roosters would stay grounded despite the elevated expectation at Bondi Junction, which could skyrocket should they make it six successive wins over the league-leading Dragons at the SCG on Sunday.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"With our side this year, there is no ego," Pearce said.

"Everyone in the side is genuinely in it for their teammates. Everyone is working towards improving.

"We're not really too fussed on thinking about winning the comp -- I can honestly say that.

"We genuinely want to win it for our teammates at the moment. You see any young guy come in the side or anyone come in through injury, they don't want to let their teammates down.

"That's why I think we're playing so well. No one is putting themselves first, worrying about semis and grand finals."

Pearce credited Anasta and Minichiello, who played his 200th first grade game for the club against the Eels and is expected to sign a new deal within a fortnight, for the unselfish attitude that has permeated the club.

"Braith has been a great leader this year and kept everyone grounded," Pearce said.

"Braith and Mini and those guys, they have played with that attitude a lot in their careers. You look at Mini. He has put the club before any decision in his career.

"He played his 200th game last night and bled for the club for 10 years. All he wants to do is stay at the Roosters and wants the Roosters to be successful.

"That team-first mentality bleeds through the side. We all just run off those guys. Everyone is embracing that culture -- don't go out there to let your teammate down."

The Roosters were exhilarating against the Eels, scoring four tries in each half. Between them, the Roosters' playmaking triumvirate of Todd Carney, Pearce and Anasta has instigated 35 line breaks and 33 tries this season.

The worry for opponents is the trio has only scratched the surface of their partnership.

"I think it can improve a lot," Pearce said.

"Me and Toddy have only played together in the halves four times. We have heaps of improvement. We have been saying to each other after the games that there's so much more we can do.

"The good thing is we both love our footy and want to be good. We both have that great passion for the game, so it helps."

As for Anasta, who has relished the switch to the back row, Pearce said: "Braith's natural game is running the ball, playing what he sees.

"He still has that great ability to ball play as well. But I think Braith plays best when he can chime in when he sees an opportunity."

this made me so happy reading this the boys heads are in the rite places coach smith is doing a fantastic job along with our two veterans of the team anasta and Mini alot to love about the roosters rite now and to them they see more improving thats just OUTSTANDING great read.

We are one of the most likeable teams at the moment every kid wants to be carney and have a jersey with his name on the back every one is loving mini again anasta is being the captain we all knew he was capable of being and the teams starting to gel really nicely combos building loyalty building its great to read and see
    We are the Fonk

Comment

Freddie made the same comment on The Roast yesterday - "There's no ego at the club. Zero ego."

Comment

Great interview, great attitude, the blend of experience from Mini, Ryles, Myles, Perro, and Braith combined with the enthusiasm of our youngsters is exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
          Freddie made the same comment on The Roast yesterday - "There's no ego at the club. Zero ego."
          I got the feeling that it might of also been a subtle dig at Willie after his comments that coaches should just let him run out there and do what he wants and that Freddy overcoached him.

I have no doubt that it is actually true though, but just thought there might of been something else behind it too.

Comment

Roosters players have no ego but Im developing one
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ace View Post
              I got the feeling that it might of also been a subtle dig at Willie after his comments that coaches should just let him run out there and do what he wants and that Freddy overcoached him.

I have no doubt that it is actually true though, but just thought there might of been something else behind it too.
              Me too!
              Originally posted by The Brain View Post
              Roosters players have no ego but Im developing one
              Really? I am terrified!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ace View Post

Yeah, I kind of got the same impression ...

Comment

Working...
                X