Roosters talking to Coote as replacement for Minichiello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters talking to Coote as replacement for Minichiello

HOT on the heels of extending the contract of boom prop Tim Grant for another four seasons, Penrith have turned their sights to wrapping up Lachlan Coote long term.
    The Panthers this week put a three-year deal on the table for Coote - who is off contact at the end of 2011.

The Windsor Wolves junior knocked back a similar approach a few months back, and his faith paid dividends in what is understood to be a much-improved offer.

We've heard, however, the Roosters would also be interested in talking to Coote as replacement for champion custodian Anthony Minichiello, who is expected to finish up at Bondi next year.

bullshit - Mini should be re-signing for two years (or one year with the option of another if he stays injury free)

This has as much credibility as the Ferguson rumors

Comment

I like it.

Comment

The plan should be:

- try and get Coote at the end of 2011
        - if Coote doesn't come, re-sign Minichiello for one more year OR throw Ben Jones into fullback in 2012, and pursue Dugan at the end of that year

Both Coote and Dugan are very very good players, albeit very different.

Dugan is all individual brilliance - he breaks tackles, had a massive workrate, and tends to do it all himself, much like Hayne or Boyd. This playing style tends to produce a lot more errors, however, when they overplay their hand.

Coote is the more classic style of fullback, much like Minichiello or Stewart in their heydays. Lightning speed, support play, the ability to 'bounce' off players rather than shrugging them off. Limited playmaking, but still very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade View Post
          bullshit - Mini should be re-signing for two years (or one year with the option of another if he stays injury free)

This has as much credibility as the Ferguson rumors
          The Ferguson rumours were true - we did try to sign him, and next season will be Mini's last (at the Roosters anyway)

Comment

Isn't there anyone at either the Jets or the NYC team that the Roosters should be looking at first before they go looking for another team's #1?
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Mack, do you seriously think Ben Jones is going to play fullback for this club?

I have watched him all season. He is shite.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
                The plan should be:

- if Coote doesn't come, re-sign Minichiello for one more year OR throw Ben Jones into fullback in 2012, and pursue Dugan at the end of that year

Dugan is all individual brilliance - he breaks tackles, had a massive workrate, and tends to do it all himself, much like Hayne or Boyd. This playing style tends to produce a lot more errors, however, when they overplay their hand.

Coote is the more classic style of fullback, much like Minichiello or Stewart in their heydays. Lightning speed, support play, the ability to 'bounce' off players rather than shrugging them off. Limited playmaking, but still very good.

Comment

I don't like the idea guys.

But Brian Smith seems keen on Jones as a centre/fullback, rather than a half/hooker.

Comment

Jones is one of the only younger players in the squad Smith hasn't got significant improvement out of, although still very young his days at the Roosters must be numbered if he doesn't show something shortly.

Comment

I personally think left/right/out is his best position.

Comment

The plan should be:

I would take him over dugan tbh. i like fullbacks that do their job perfectly. dugan, hayne and boyd have good ball skills and particularly dugan and hayne are all individual brilliance as you identified however the lack of support play in all three of them and the way dugan and hayne in particular can get caught out/lazy in defence doesnt bode well with me. coote on the other hand is one of the best support players going around, busts plenty of tackles and has great acceleration as well as world class defence. and dont count out his playmaking ability either - the kid has played some halves as a kid and in the NYC before making the step up did a fair bit of ball playing and also goal kicked for a bit from memory so he would be the best replacement possible imo

Comment

I don't like the idea guys.

But Brian Smith seems keen on Jones as a centre/fullback, rather than a half/hooker.
                          Where do you get the idea that Smith is keen on Jones at all? He hasn't even been considered when the options were there to use him and for good reason.

Personally I think Naughton will be groomed as Mini's replacement if we can't attract a top class ready made fullback.

Comment

Coote is an absolute gem of a player..

We have no one in the lower grades that will come close to being as good as this guy..

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                              Where do you get the idea that Smith is keen on Jones at all? He hasn't even been considered when the options were there to use him and for good reason.

Personally I think Naughton will be groomed as Mini's replacement if we can't attract a top class ready made fullback.
                              Naughton has hardly been on the field at all this year, he needs a strong pre-season to stand any chance of breaking into the top grade next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X