History of 6th-placed teams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of 6th-placed teams...

There have been 11 finals series since the McIntyre system was introduced.

In 6 of those years, the 6th-placed team has won.

In the 5 years that the 6th-placed team has lost, they have been eliminated after the first week on all but one occasion (i.e. either 7th or 8th have won 4 of the 5 years).

Going on history, the Roosters are a very good chance of winning. And even though a Canberra or Manly victory is improbable, history shows that losing 6th-placed teams are normally bundled out.

Come on Easts, you can do it!
    FONK

I like those odds.

Where did I leave the number of that Pakistani bookie?

Oh hell with it, I'll call Mark Waugh. He'll have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Madduke View Post
      I like those odds.

Where did I leave the number of that Pakistani bookie?

Oh hell with it, I'll call Mark Waugh. He'll have it.
      lol

Go Easts!

Chook.

Comment

I don't know why teams like the idea of the week off. An extra semi game against tough opposition has surely got to be a better preparation for a grand final than some pissy drills in the park.

Having said that I believe we were 6th in 2001 and got blown off the park by the Knights...the next year though ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
          I don't know why teams like the idea of the week off. An extra semi game against tough opposition has surely got to be a better preparation for a grand final than some pissy drills in the park.

Having said that I believe we were 6th in 2001 and got blown off the park by the Knights...the next year though ;-)
          If I remember correctly, we played in each week of the finals in 2002. It was intense but God each win felt better and better.

The rest as they say, is history.

Comment

History means bugger all come Saturday night. Good to see a lot of positive - albiet nervous - threads. Let's hope we can keep em coming for the next 4 weeks.

Comment

I think Canberra can do Penrith.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                I think Canberra can do Penrith.
                Won't be the first time.

And I'm not talking about football.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

I think it depends on what sort of shape a team is in. In 2002, we were match hardened and had great momentum. There is no way we needed a week off. But you look at Melbourne in 2008. Bellamy would have killed for a week off if he could have got it. They were playing busted and it took its toll. Manly on the other hand, got a nice freshen up and came out firing on the day and blew Melbourne away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
                    If I remember correctly, we played in each week of the finals in 2002. It was intense but God each win felt better and better.

The rest as they say, is history.
                    Good memories for sure:
                    1st week - Cronulla 32-20
                    2nd week - Newcastle 38-12 (will never forget Fitzgibbon's intercept try)
                    3rd week - Brisbane 16-12
                    4th week - NZ 30-8
                    "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                      Good memories for sure:
                      1st week - Cronulla 32-20
                      2nd week - Newcastle 38-12 (will never forget Fitzgibbon's intercept try)
                      3rd week - Brisbane 16-12
                      4th week - NZ 30-8
                      Or Mini's try saver on Rudder when the score was 10-6!

Comment

First Half

In the 23rd minute, Sydney opened the scoring with a try to Shannon Hegarty with Craig Fitzgibbon converting taking Sydney to a 6-0 lead. Not long after, Ivan Cleary got New Zealand on the board with a penalty goal making the score 6-2, which remained that scoreline until halftime.

Second Half

In the 46th minute, New Zealand took the lead for the first time through a Stacey Jones try and a Ivan Cleary conversion taking the scoreline to 8-6. Approaching the 60th minute, Sydney regained the lead with Craig Wing scoring the try and Craig Fitgibbon converting another to make the score 12-8 after a spectacular 40/20 kick from Sydney captain Brad Fittler. In the last 15 minutes Craig Fitzgibbon, Chris Flannery and Bryan Fletcher scored tries for Sydney with Craig Fizgibbon converting all three to take Sydney to a 30-8 win. By winning the grand final the Roosters also received $400,000 in prize money
                        How good is reading that. From wikipedia, they left out one important detail though... Fittler after having his head taken off manned up.

Comment

Beating Brisbane at the SFS was un****ingbelievable....

Comment

Be wary though, no team has won more than 5 games in a rown this season.

That is a fact that we cannot avoid when looking at runs and streaks, 5 games has been the max any team (including the dragons) have won in a row.

Currently the raiders are on 5 wins, if they win, they will break the trend....tip against the Raiders.

We are on 2 wins so far on our run, so, if we are to stick to this 5 game streak rule, we need the raiders and sea eagles to win so we get the week off and the grand final will be game 5.

Unless we or the raiders can buck the trend.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
                            To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
                            At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
                            Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
                            The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Not only will we win 6 in a row this year, we will go on and win 29 games straight next year for a total for 35 consecutive wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X