PHil Graham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dice View Post
    I am not saying Graham is slow. I am saying he is fast and that his replacement should also be fast.

I remember that try quite vividly. He was slightly quicker than both Hayne and Linnett and slowed down to switch to right-hand side of Hayne before taking off again and getting a beautiful pass from Linnett.
    You cannot compare the speed of a guy carrying a football to a guy who isn't. Carrying the ball slows you down immensely.. Ask the players who is the quickest in the team and they will tell you Linnett easily.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
      Dugan does slow down and I think he is slow after 30-40M. Carney's intercept, he was going at half pace and running away from Dugan 2 lengths to 1 with Dugan at full stretch.

Gordon showed how slow Perrett is. With 10M start he chased him down in 40M. Against Manly, Matai was chasing (or should I say hopping on one leg) and Farrer was the other who was too far away and not the fastest fullback either. Perrett is one of the slowest wingers in the NRL, no two ways about it. But we don't have any lightening quick ones coming through at the moment.
      Kheralliah is lightening quick but I am not sure if he has the footballing ability to make it in First Grade.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
        I personally think he has been VERY harshly treated.

He was outstanding for us at the start of the year at centre - his first real bad game in my opinion was that loss against the Warriors.
        The question is, do you consider Graham to be one of the best 2 Centres in the club? If you don't, then he has to be judged and measured on his performances on the Wing and that is where he has been very dissapointing and why he should be considered surplus.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
          I don't think Perrett is as slow as people think. The try he scored against Manly showed he has some decent pace. Also I remember against Canberra he turned and chased Dugan quite easily.

Do you consider Dugan slow?
          Matai is a slug and played injured and Dugan is no speedster either. Perrett will always be one of the slowest wingers in the comp.

If Graham was playing on Carney's favoured side outside of SKD we'd be in awe of some of the tries scored. We are yet to see much of Carney's kicking game for a reason.

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
          You cannot compare the speed of a guy carrying a football to a guy who isn't. Carrying the ball slows you down immensely.. Ask the players who is the quickest in the team and they will tell you Linnett easily.
          I know Linnett is fast. Hayne wasn't carrying a ball.

Comment

Matai is a slug and played injured and Dugan is no speedster either. Perrett will always be one of the slowest wingers in the comp.

If Graham was playing on Carney's favoured side outside of SKD we'd be in awe of some of the tries scored. We are yet to see much of Carney's kicking game for a reason.
            Perrett isn't actually that slow. He has some toe on him. That try he scored against Manly showed it. He had very little space, but just put the foot down.

Sure, he's no Kevin Gordon. But he is definitely not one of the slowest wingers in the comp. Compare him to Covell, Burt, Elford, Turner, etc. and he's a fair bit quicker than those blokes IMO.

Also, Graham potentially scoring great tries is not a justification for his role in the team. He has had no impact on the wing. Yes, he was good for a couple of games in the centres. His defence, in the centres, is strong, and he is experienced. But on the wing, his kick returns are ridiculously soft, his involvement in attack is poor, and his dummy half running is hopeless.

Linnett and SKD are better centres. Leilua and Perrett are better wingers.

Where does Graham fit in?

Comment

Originally posted by BlindFreddy View Post
              Smith will introduce other young kids next season. Just generally, people like Tasi, Maliota, Lowe etc. might get a run, especially in the trials.

In terms of outside backs, I reckon we'll see Fine. M, Keirallah (who has been gunning it lately), and Naughton get a shot as well.

We don't need Graham. Experienced, but as soft as they come.
              You are spot on. You must know someone who is close to the action. Smith is already encouraging youngsters in the lower grades about the possibilities for next year if they keep working hard and improving.

Comment

Originally posted by Madduke View Post
                I'd say that while Folau, Inglis and Tonga (Matai hits heads, doesn't tackle) are gun attackers, their defense is somewhat suspect.
                Yet SKD is subject to weekly attacks about his "poor reads in defence" - even when he scores 3 or 4 tries.

Comment

Originally posted by fred68 View Post
                  You are spot on. You must know someone who is close to the action. Smith is already encouraging youngsters in the lower grades about the possibilities for next year if they keep working hard and improving.
                  By all accounts, it is one of the big things Smith has brought to the club - realistic, purposeful rotation of players, with long term goals, as well as the blooding of youth.

From everything I've heard, there will be more shots at FG for youngsters in coming seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post
                    Yet SKD is subject to weekly attacks about his "poor reads in defense" - even when he scores 3 or 4 tries.
                    I would hope that he doesn't read that shit.

Comment

I know Linnett is fast. Hayne wasn't carrying a ball.
                      It's not that simple though, a players speed can be related to the amount of work he has performed during the game. If it were in the opening minutes then everyone is fresh but Hayne had done an awful lot of work for Parramatta, I don't think Graham had done nearly as much work as Hayne. In fact the only reason Graham scored the try is because he didn't take the bomb, ironic in a way.

Comment

Look he's on contract for next year so the only reason he will go is if he gets a deal that suits both sides (which would probably mean a decent stint in ESL or going to an NRL club where he is guaranteed of playing at centre for another year or two) and presumably the Roosters free up some space to maybe pick up a big signing.

If he doesn't go, the Roosters will have someone who can play Centre very well and Wing competently. Linnett basically looks exactly like Phil Graham at his peak, so he probably has a lot to learn from Phil.

Either way, it's pretty much the definition of win-win.

That being said, I would hate for the Roosters to go deep this year and just miss out, let Graham go and then have either Linnett or SKD go down with injury for an extended period and suddenly we are VERY thin. Especially if Justin Carney doesn't pan out after a long lay off.

Comment

Originally posted by securitron_ch View Post
                          Look he's on contract for next year so the only reason he will go is if he gets a deal that suits both sides (which would probably mean a decent stint in ESL or going to an NRL club where he is guaranteed of playing at centre for another year or two) and presumably the Roosters free up some space to maybe pick up a big signing.

If he doesn't go, the Roosters will have someone who can play Centre very well and Wing competently. Linnett basically looks exactly like Phil Graham at his peak, so he probably has a lot to learn from Phil.

That being said, I would hate for the Roosters to go deep this year and just miss out, let Graham go and then have either Linnett or SKD go down with injury for an extended period and suddenly we are VERY thin. Especially if Justin Carney doesn't pan out after a long lay off.
                          Great post,totally agree with what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by securitron_ch View Post

Do you honestly believe Smithy is thinking any differently? I am sure he has someone else in mind to take his place or he is happy with a few guys to take the next step. That or Graham has asked for permission to negotiate because he has a good offer from ESL. Graham is no Mason and I can't see them releasing him for the sake of it. He has plenty to offer us still.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                              Perrett has his dummy half runs, what did Byrne have?
                              Byrne is immortalised in a special commisioned print released by Penriff showing Sattlers "miraculous tackle " that now hangs in a gazillion households in Western Sydney.
                              Last edited by rooster69; 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                                Do you honestly believe Smithy is thinking any differently? I am sure he has someone else in mind to take his place or he is happy with a few guys to take the next step. That or Graham has asked for permission to negotiate because he has a good offer from ESL. Graham is no Mason and I can't see them releasing him for the sake of it. He has plenty to offer us still.
                                No I totally agree but some of the hate on this thread would make you think he was the worst thing to ever happen to the club which is clearly not true. He has had some great games at Centre and has played out of position to cover a hole that we currently have nobody else to fill.

Everyone was saying Mini was crap and finished and blah blah blah when he was playing on the left wing too. Seems like the position is left wing/chookpen whipping boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X