Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An objective view on the eagles game

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...320-1c2b7.html

Manly thoroughly deserved yesterday's emphatic victory over the Roosters. It could be suggested the Roosters were their own worst enemies, and contributed to their own demise with repeated ill-discipline and fundamental errors. A lot of this is true.

However, to report on this game and suggest the result came about by any means other than the Sea Eagles' dynamic effort would be totally unfair on the Manly club.

The Sea Eagles won this game through their courage, grit, determination and great defence. They displayed a spirit and character that was far too powerful for their rivals. To put it in simple terms - Manly were too tough for the Roosters. Players love to be a part of victories like this one.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    I also suggest yesterday's contest could well have seen the emergence, or better still, the confirmation, of our game's next superstar in the shape of Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran. Such dominant, virtuoso displays are rarely seen from one so young.

Foran was brilliant. In recent seasons, he has given notice of his tremendous potential but with this performance he took his ability to influence a game to a whole new level.

Until now Foran has been recognised for his crafty playmaking abilities and his seemingly innate football instincts. This has often drawn the comment that he was born to play rugby league.

He again showed us all his attacking skills during the course of this contest. But it was the fierceness and brutality of his defence that stamped him as more than just another pretty footballer.

It wasn't just the magnitude of his hits either, many on players much bigger than himself. It wasn't just the try-saving cover defence that saved the day when the Roosters looked certain to score, although this certainly helped. More importantly, it was the timing of these contributions. He imposed himself on the game and he willed his team to victory.

When Manly needed him most, Foran delivered. He inspired his teammates and he lifted their resolve. He galvanised his men into a togetherness that could not be denied.

For the first 45 minutes of the match, you had the feeling the Roosters would probably end up beating the injury-depleted Manly side.

The Roosters, however, kept shooting themselves in the foot with a string of unforced errors and untimely indiscretions that confirmed their status as one of the most penalised teams in the NRL.

The Manly boys were in there punching away, and had somehow managed a narrow half-time lead. But it seemed whenever the Roosters held on to the ball, they had no trouble scoring points. So when the Roosters scored just after the half-time break to secure a 16-14 lead, one suspected they would knuckle down and complete the task.

The next five minutes of play from the Sea Eagles stood the game on its head. Led by Foran, Manly suddenly found a surge of physicality that was so motivated and so powerful, it completely changed the momentum of the match.

Manly wanted victory more than the Roosters, and it showed. Their second-half tries were not brilliant, but they were a result of sustained pressure on their opponents.

Manly were willing to hurt to gain victory. The Roosters were not. Manly were prepared to play tough. The Roosters were not. It was only fitting the football gods smiled on Manly's effort. The Sea Eagles soon had their noses back in front, and were never going to be denied from that point on.

Following the Roosters' narrow-escape victory over South Sydney last weekend, I wrote: "The moment they think success is all about talent, they are vulnerable to self-destruction. The moment individuals start to play the solo hand, the team mentality suffers. Their ill-discipline on Friday night came as a result of poor attitude control, plus a lack of respect for their opposition and even the referee."

I further suggested the Roosters would "be deluding themselves if self-appraisal didn't address the real reasons why they found themselves into so much trouble during the contest".

Well, perhaps it takes a loss before teams can be as honest in their self-analysis as they need to be. The Roosters went sideways and backwards far too often. They put pressure on each other with ill-advised passing and poor control. They wanted to play fancy, and had no answer to the confrontation Manly gave them.

There are two ways to play this game: the easy way, and the right way. The Roosters chose the easy way every time. If they needed a loss to snap them into reality, they got it good yesterday. Manly smacked them. There is no getting around that.

He is pretty much spot on, especially about us choosing the easy way.

Come on piggies, time to roll up the sleeves and do it the hard way.

Comment

Great article. Thanks for posting. Totally agree, Manly just wanted it more.

It's killing me when I read in the other threads how we need to change this or that player and suddenly it will all be different. The Roosters are stacked with talent in EVERY position + 4 man bench. More than any other team in the NRL in my unbiased opinion.

The Roosters just need to take a leaf out of Manly's book and work harder as a team.

Comment

Round 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Comment

the desire isn't there like it was late last year and i think the favoritism is hurting us aswell, the players seem to like being the underdogs and flying under the radar, but when you;re the talk of the town and in the top 3 premiership favorites, complacency sets in...

Comment

It's still very early days....remember last year, WLWLWL until we hit a good patch....

I noticed that we struggled in sunday arvo games in the early rounds last year- couldn't handle the heat! Worst was the dogs game. Go figure? Two teams playing in the heat- one team can do it, the other can't.

Lets not get into a panic just yet. But i will admit, it sucks seeing the boys under perform, knowing what they can do on their day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1972 View Post
              It's still very early days....remember last year, WLWLWL until we hit a good patch....

I noticed that we struggled in sunday arvo games in the early rounds last year- couldn't handle the heat! Worst was the dogs game. Go figure? Two teams playing in the heat- one team can do it, the other can't.

Lets not get into a panic just yet. But i will admit, it sucks seeing the boys under perform, knowing what they can do on their day.
              Yeh i remember last year, the painful, inconsistent first half of the season and yes we struggled on hot days, because as you said only one team can really dominate in those conditions. BUT...if we're gonna start the season like we did last year and use the same excuses for our losses that we did last year, then doesn't that mean we haven't improved as a team???Now that worries me more than anything i saw on the field!!!

Comment

it's still the same as last year and it's completely unacceptable that we haven't been able to fix the attitude.

Imo, though, apart of it comes back to Smith in the free-reign he gives the boys in attack. If we were to become mechanical and boring like the Dragons, this stuff wouldn't happen too often with a set game plan to play to each week

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post
                  it's still the same as last year and it's completely unacceptable that we haven't been able to fix the attitude.

Imo, though, apart of it comes back to Smith in the free-reign he gives the boys in attack. If we were to become mechanical and boring like the Dragons, this stuff wouldn't happen too often with a set game plan to play to each week
                  that "free-reign" thing is only in attack, doesn't explain our poor defence and conceding penalties without the ball...

lot of little problems around our defence, i don't mind the free-flowing attack, but defence needs to be solid and disciplined, right now our's isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Worthless View Post
                    Great article. Thanks for posting. Totally agree, Manly just wanted it more.

It's killing me when I read in the other threads how we need to change this or that player and suddenly it will all be different. The Roosters are stacked with talent in EVERY position + 4 man bench. More than any other team in the NRL in my unbiased opinion.

The Roosters just need to take a leaf out of Manly's book and work harder as a team.
                    You only have to look at this weeks lineups. The Dogs have a bunch of nuffies, and our team is studded with internationals. Whats the bet our forwards get owned again.
                    Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                      You only have to look at this weeks lineups. The Dogs have a bunch of nuffies, and our team is studded with internationals. Whats the bet our forwards get owned again.
                      Dogs have one of the best packs in the comp. It will come as no surprise if they roll us in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1972 View Post

We looked pretty good despatching Souffs and Wests in the first two rounds in warm conditions.

We were woeful (and that's being kind) in round 3 against the Dogs. Easy to look for excuses such as the heat, but it had no affect on us the previous two weeks.
                        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
                          Dogs have one of the best packs in the comp. It will come as no surprise if they roll us in that area.
                          I don't see how players such as Tolman, Kaisano, Foster, Halatau, Payne and Paea are any better than our forwards.

In fact, I'm not sure we would want any of their forwards.
                          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                            I don't see how players such as Tolman, Kaisano, Foster, Halatau, Payne and Paea are any better than our forwards.

In fact, I'm not sure we would want any of their forwards.
                            I would take Tolman in a heartbeat.. Can't say I have seen Kaisano but he comes with big wraps.. the rest are so so.. If Eastwood comes back early then he will give us problems.. On paper they aren't anything special in the forwards but you can bet they will roll their sleeves up. Games aren't won on paper. We have beaten the Bulldogs away only once or twice in 20 years... The odds are certainly stacked in their favour. You also forgot Frank Pritchard.. goes alright...

Comment

Our matches against the doggies are always tough. Toss of the coin, as long as the boys show up this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X