The one to blame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fred68 View Post
    Smiths abilityto leave clubs in a crap state at the end of his tenure is also remarkable.

Looks like he's started early with us.
    Surely you are taking the piss. How do you live every day with that cup so half-empty?

Comment

Smiths abilityto leave clubs in a crap state at the end of his tenure is also remarkable.
      The Eels made week 3 of the finals in 2007 the year after he left, with Michael Hagan as coach! It took Hages another year to destroy them.

I have been impressed with the Knights so far this year. They are currently riddled with injury and haven't had much luck, but they are playing great footy. I think Stone was a bit overwhelmed in his first season as a head coach last year, but that team that Smithy more or less assembled is a strong one and they are playing good footy with systems that are obviously still very much in the Smith mould.

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
        Smith isn’t loathed at Newcastle?
        By Jack Newton and his mate Singleton maybe.

The Knights fans that I know were devestated when Smith signed with us. At the time they were amazed at how he had turned bargain basement signings into top class first graders. Taia, Fa'aoso and Sau had played one first grade game between them the previous year before signing with the Knights, yet Smith transformed them into genuinely good players. He nabbed Sau for $10K from the Raiders and he became an international under Smith.

Andrew Johns spoke about Smith after a Monday night game on Triple M late last season. The subject came up as to how the Roosters had turned their fortunes around. Johns said: "It's undoubtedly Brian Smith." He spoke about how, after retiring, he had had the chance to do some assistant coaching with Smith at the Knights. Johns assessment was: "There is no one in the game with a better football brain. Brian Smith is an absolute genius of a coach."

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
          Surely you are taking the piss. How do you live every day with that cup so half-empty?
          It's either smiths fault or it's your fault....

Comment

Originally posted by junglefowl View Post
            The Eels made week 3 of the finals in 2007 the year after he left, with Michael Hagan as coach! It took Hages another year to destroy them.

I have been impressed with the Knights so far this year. They are currently riddled with injury and haven't had much luck, but they are playing great footy. I think Stone was a bit overwhelmed in his first season as a head coach last year, but that team that Smithy more or less assembled is a strong one and they are playing good footy with systems that are obviously still very much in the Smith mould.
            You forgot to mention smiths last year at parra when they could hardly win a game until he was shown the door halfway through & then Taylor was seen like a breath of fresh air by their players.

Comment

You forgot to mention smiths last year at parra when they could hardly win a game until he was shown the door halfway through & then Taylor was seen like a breath of fresh air by their players.
              you forgot to mention who abused you as a child so bad that caused to be such a negative C**T

Comment

Originally posted by punky rooster View Post
                you forgot to mention who abused you as a child so bad that caused to be such a negative C**T
                Maturity is obviously not your strong point. You can go have a cry now if you want.

Comment

I'll grant you this. If you get your wish and we decide to get rid of Smith at some stage, or he jumps himself, we should insist he goes immediately. His record when he is not under contract for the following year at a club -- early 2006 at the Eels, mid-2009 at the Knights -- is abysmal. There is no doubt he is an authoritarian, big-picture coach and he needs to backed all the way, or not at all.

There was a lot of politics going down in early 2006 at the Eels that was partly to do with Smith's relationship with various people at the club (following the decision not to re-sign him for 2007), and also the fact that a large number of player's contracts were in limbo. When things settled down they recovered to make the semi-finals under JT, with the team and structures that Smith had put in place. Ask JT about it yourself. He has a huge regard for Smith and not just because he's his current boss. I spoke to JT a couple of years ago when he had no professional relationship with Smith, and he had nothing but massive praise for him as a coach. It didn't surprise me at all that he jumped at the chance to work under him (and learn from him) again.

Comment

Maturity is obviously not your strong point. You can go have a cry now if you want.
                    yeah you got me...to bad i cant get more mature by bitching about everything

Comment

everything that fred68 & lydon have said in this post is spot on. I don’t care how far we got last season, smith is not right for the roosters. I know it’s early days but i think 2010 will be smiths only good year at the roosters.
                      word :d

Comment

It's either smiths fault or it's your fault....
                        Can't be mine, I'm innocent.

Comment

Reputation for being a master tactician,
                          Respected by players & staff based on his track record.His previous club should be devastated that he left,not relieved!
                          Someone that will make current players even better & draw big names & up & comers to the club.

Smith does not tick any of the above boxes,the guy lacks common sense. Some of the decisions Smith has made especially when it comes to team selections are not the sort of decisions a reasonably intelligent coach should be making. There is a very good reason why he has never won a premiership.

Smith is hated by everyone,everywhere he goes he is hated. Is this the sort of guy you bring to a club? NO player is going to come to the club when you have a coach that has the rep that Smith has.
                          Phil Gould
                          http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...1123-ixy5.html

"... Smith's ability to get the best out of his own team and identify the worst in the opposition. Smith has come in for plenty of unfair criticism over the years. He leaves himself open to such treatment because he doesn't follow the conventional methods most media types understand.

He's always been an innovator, a creator and a speculator. He is prepared to fail greatly in order to achieve greatly. The other great talent of Smith's is the way he recruits seemingly average talent and turns them into winners. He helps players realise their potential even though these same players may have previously played at a few different clubs in search of success. He has a gift for identifying those who can play a role within a team framework and then assists them to enjoy their contribution.

He loves the cloak and dagger stuff. The mystery of the team selection is one of his traits. People criticise his methods but I can tell you as an opposing coach it is a real pain in the butt when you are preparing your troops to take on one of his teams. Any coach who says different is a liar."
                          Last edited by junglefowl; 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Fully agree with your thoughts jf.

We need to have a beer one day but all I think we will be talking about is hookers

Comment

Rubba Loig is not a complicated game.

Crash it up for 5 and kick long for the corners on the last. If you get close to the line then draw and pass.

Score more points in 80 minutes you win

You listening Brain?

Comment

@ punky rooster

I practically run the emergency ward of a very busy hospital.Every day I handle shootings,stabbings,drug overdoses & brutally violent crimes against women.I’d say the last 2 make me very qualified to deal with SOME of the pathetic specimen of men we have in the NRL these days.
                                There are some pretty low female specimens out there too, who commit vile acts against men and children.

And there are other people on this forum with important jobs to do. Most of them don't bring them up by way of trying to prove the worth of their opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                X