X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clubs [including Roosters] called to secret meeting

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby...L?ocid=U143DHP

Clubs called to secret meeting to delve into NRL's performance

© AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts A dozen club powerbrokers have been invited to a meeting at which they will be told the NRL's $50 million surplus has been overstated by about $30 million.

A dozen club powerbrokers have been invited to a meeting at which they will be told the NRL's much-vaunted $50 million surplus for the financial year has been overstated by about $30 million.

Representatives of 12 of the 16 clubs will gather in Sydney on Thursday to discuss the performance of head office. Four chairs - Wests Tigers, Newcastle, St George Illawarra and Gold Coast - weren't extended an invitation because they are viewed as being beholden to the governing body because they have been given emergency funding or have independent directors appointed by the NRL on their boards.

A leading accounting firm has been engaged to look over ASIC documents in relation to the NRL's financial position amid claims the trumpeted $50 million figure wasn't as impressive when exposed to greater scrutiny.

It's understood independent accountants have pored over the figures to reveal the surplus is about $20 million, a significant drop on the previous financial year.
    The next opportunity for the clubs to raise concerns with Rugby League Central will come at an official meeting of the NRL and club chairs scheduled in Melbourne after the second State of Origin game.

While the financial performance of the game is a concern for some clubs, other grievances will also be aired. Other issues to be discussed include crowd numbers, a rise in executive salaries at head office and the impact of the government's stadiums strategy. Clubs such as Manly and those in Sydney's western suburbs believe their infrastructure needs aren't being met and will miss out in ground upgrades if plans to build a 65,000-seat facility in Moore Park go ahead.

"There is no consultation when they are making these decisions," one source said. "You can't tell me we are in a better position now than when the commission was put in place."

There are also concerns that clubs that are well run will be pressured into accepting NRL-appointed "independent" directors to their boards.

#####

Here we go again!
    The well run clubs should tell the NRL "NO!" ...no independent directors/Chairpersons on their boards.

They should also tell the NRL just why the crowds are down etc.
    Last edited by bondi-boy; 05-21-2015, 07:03 PM.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist too know why crowds are down, with every game of the round covered by either free to air or pay tv, and expensive admission prices, to the grounds, its no longer the working mans game. The penny has finally dropped you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

The list of things wrong with the NRL is very, very long. Numbers are down because the NRL has destroyed our game and people have had enough. As stated above the price of admission is too high. In my opinion it is ridiculously high. NRL is going to become more and more of a minority sport imo. Bring back the biff and the shoulder charges.

Comment

People are turned off the game when results are pre-determined ...

Comment

The shortfall could well be the avenue for Packer and Crowe to step in and partner the NRL hence them having that scumbag Richardson in at league central

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
            The shortfall could well be the avenue for Packer and Crowe to step in and partner the NRL hence them having that scumbag Richardson in at league central
            Where do you think this $30m went, it all went on Richardson's lunches
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
              The list of things wrong with the NRL is very, very long. Numbers are down because the NRL has destroyed our game and people have had enough. As stated above the price of admission is too high. In my opinion it is ridiculously high. NRL is going to become more and more of a minority sport imo. Bring back the biff and the shoulder charges.
              Yeah $45 a piece for a working class game is a bit. I'm a member because members get it MUCH cheaper.

However, a few mates simply won't go to games with me because they can't justify that kinda coin within their budget.

They make all their money from media deals. If they put the price down to $15 a ticket and didn't force fans to fork out big bucks MONTHS ahead of the finals, would games be more accessible?

Comment

Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post

Agree with this.

A. I thought David Smith was hired to do the business.....cause he ain't got a clue about league
                B. Good on you guys.....make it safe for the kids to play......it's boring to watch. Killed the goose that laid the golden egg
                C. Everyone knows that the NRL is over governed........trim the fat David
                D. Handled the asada issues poorly and only served to protect himself..dud leader
                E.afl is kicking your butt....look at GWS. They deserve success.
                F. Too expensive to go to games.
                G. The NRL is a all about wagging the dog. People ain't that stupid
                barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                  B. Good on you guys.....make it safe for the kids to play......it's boring to watch. Killed the goose that laid the golden egg
                  The NRL top layer don't give a flying eff about kids playing the game, I know people that have heard comments from the heirarchy that confirm this

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                  G. The NRL is a all about wagging the dog. People ain't that stupid
                  The NRL is all about $, nothing about RL
                  The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                  Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post

Triple quarter pounders?

Comment

the NRL doesn't pay their bills either. Ive been waiting since Late Feb for my pay. Im a Level 2 sports trainer and did 3 days first aid with the nrl Masters, and still haven't been paid. WTF.

If the nrl did abit more for the game instead of letting nein run the game it would be in a better state.

Whats the point of going to a game for $45 to watch one game of Firsts and one game of NYC. Why don't they include nsw cup and q cup games with the nrl games weekly. Not every team could play weekly but more bang for the buck would get asses on seats.
                      1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Trent_Robinson View Post
                        Triple quarter pounders?

quadruple double chin

Comment

The NRL top layer don't give a flying eff about kids playing the game, I know people that have heard comments from the heirarchy that confirm this

The NRL is all about $, nothing about RL

hit the nail on the head KB, out of sight out of mind, they rely on the clubs, who then rely on the local districts who then heap pressure on their local clubs, with no finance or plan put forward. I heard from a couple of reliable sources that 15% of players are unfinancial at seasons end in the Penrith junior league, no wonder clubs are struggling financially. The poly boys are playing not paying then moving to union

Comment

That made me laugh out loud.

If the club allows an 'independent' director, we'll get one like that dippy mooncow Renee Castle.
                            SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny. View Post

That made me laugh out loud.

If the club allows an 'independent' director, we'll get one like that dippy mooncow Renee Castle.
                              Surely that raelene castle character is just Magda sbanskis latest spoof.

She can't be real.

Comment

Working...
                              X