Good read! Brian Smith Article about the Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half time View Post
    I thought Bowie played most of his career as a winger and sometimes centre. But my memory is not great nowadays. I think he even filled in at fullback a few times from memory.

He was also one my favourite players back then.

Out of interest, which were your other most favourite rooster players when you were a young kid?
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about Dave Brown.

Correct. He started with us on the wing before moving to fullback and the centres.

My favourite in those days was Noel Cleal.

Believe it or not I wasn't a fan of Horrie. I didn't realise how good he was then.
    Last edited by Johnny Tobin; 07-17-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Faairfax , Schubert and Artie. Then Horrie came along and McGahan and Gillmeister. Freddy, Ricketson and Mini have a special place in my heart, and looking forward to the day I hold SKD and Aubs in the same regard. I'll never forget what SBW did for us in two short years.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

As a kid he was one of my favourite players.

Looking back now I think he was massively overrated.

What did your old man say about Dave Brown? His old man must have seen Messenger.
        Dad said that in pre-war Paddington, the only two things people discussed (sports-wise) was Bradman and Brown.
        Naturally Brown was everyone's favourite, way ahead of his time.He stood out more because he never had hair, and apparently lack of eyelashes gave him a lot of grief.
        The Sports Ground had a speedway track in those days as well.
        My Grandfather was religious about Easts, never missed a game.Unfortunately I didn't know him.

Comment

They did call Brown the Bradman of League. He must have been something to see.

Comment

Crusher cleal was a big favourite of mine as a youngster, as of course was horrie. I also remember liking Ian Barkley but now I'm wondering if maybe I over rated him because not many speak about him. Anyone remember how many years he played for us before bozo stole him (with half our team) to manly?

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Dad said that in pre-war Paddington, the only two things people discussed (sports-wise) was Bradman and Brown.
              Naturally Brown was everyone's favourite, way ahead of his time.He stood out more because he never had hair, and apparently lack of eyelashes gave him a lot of grief.
              The Sports Ground had a speedway track in those days as well.
              My Grandfather was religious about Easts, never missed a game.Unfortunately I didn't know him.
              so true about Dave Brown who was a lifelong friend of my dear mum. such a pity the league messed with tradition of dropping the dave brown award for best and fairest on grand final day.browns parents had the dressing sheds down at bronte beach and attended waverley college like many notable roosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Half time View Post
                Crusher cleal was a big favourite of mine as a youngster, as of course was horrie. I also remember liking Ian Barkley but now I'm wondering if maybe I over rated him because not many speak about him. Anyone remember how many years he played for us before bozo stole him (with half our team) to manly?
                81-83

He still looks the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

An international; winger is supposed to have a passing game? Boustead was played out of position a lot when played in the centres but he always put in for us and his cover defence was exceptional
                  I would say more spectacular than exceptional. He always seemed to tackle them as they went over the line.

Comment

There was a Bigraphy written on Dave Brown ..I knwo who has a copy see if I can get my hands on it
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                      And you carnts said all those nasty things about me olde Dad.

Chook, Tommy its time for the Smiff Bros to rise for our Dad.

Good article, shame it wont find its way into the mainstream media.

Those new pills are really working for Dad.

I'm hoping for more than water bottles for my B'day this year.

Chook.

Comment

Working...
                      X