TV Rights Deal and the salary cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Rights Deal and the salary cap

So that's why everyone is re-signing until the end of 2017.

There's talk that with the new 1.7B Tv rights deal (all speculation I presume) the salary cap will increase from 7.5m to 11m.

That's a HUGE increase. No wonder the boys are only taking two-year deals!

Some very interesting times ahead for the club and the game as a whole.

Players knew there was a big TV deal coming in 2013 but still signed contracts beyond that with percentage clauses and bonuses written into their contracts.

I find it hard to believe the 2017 contracts are purely player and agent driven. Whilst they have power in discussions they don't have that much. It's clearly something the club and we're not the only club doing it seem are also having a say in.

Comment

How silly are some players salaries going to get, if not already high, 1.5-2million will be a inglis, thurston type player in a few years time.

Maybe we buy sheck back for a bargain 1 2mill in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
        Players knew there was a big TV deal coming in 2013 but still signed contracts beyond that with percentage clauses and bonuses written into their contracts.

I find it hard to believe the 2017 contracts are purely player and agent driven. Whilst they have power in discussions they don't have that much. It's clearly something the club and we're not the only club doing it seem are also having a say in.
        Break away comp headed by Uncle Nick ?

With credible game managers.

Comment

It has been speculated here previously that players are not signing beyond season 2017 due to the impending salary cap increase however the fact that only 4 of the NRL clubs being signed up to play in the competition beyond that season I believe is possibly playing a larger role behind the scenes. I wonder if other clubs are seeing their players reluctant to sign beyond the year their clubs license is due to be renewed. If this is a trend I would take the assumption that it is not coincidence.

Comment

I've heard that Google (yeah, surprised me as well) have already offered $2 Billion for the exclusive rights the next time negotiations come around.

They probably won't get them, but it shows where the game is heading if a company like that is prepared to blow Ch9 out of the water.

You'd imagine that their offer depends on there being a unified comp.

Comment

so hopefully in 2017 we wont see the drongos hog the friday night game week in and week out.

so far they have had 8 friday night games at home (only 12 rounds of footy are played at a home venue)

4 friday night games away.

all 4 of their saturday games were away games.

and they have 3 thursday night games 2 at home 1 away.

not bad considering our mate gyngil is the ceo of the news owned nein station.

time for a fresh breath of air running and calling the game.
              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2026 View Post
                Break away comp headed by Uncle Nick ?

With credible game managers.
                2026, This is more likely, at least this way the players don't have contracts registered with the NRL just in case there is the need to splinter off if demands aren't meet or even if the Administrators haven't stepped up their game.

Comment

And now Fergo signed until the end of 2017.

It's clear imo that it's about the new tv rights deal and its implications on the cap amongst other things.

Comment

I don't care that the Broncos get Friday night games cause here in Sydney it's most likely going to be the second game on Channel 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                      I don't care that the Broncos get Friday night games cause here in Sydney it's most likely going to be the second game on Channel 9.

It gives them a massive advantage to have a seven day turnaround constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

It gives them a massive advantage to have a seven day turnaround constantly.
                        At the end of the season when we are lifting the trophy, this won't be relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

At the end of the season when we are lifting the trophy, this won't be relevant.
                          Hopefully.

It's certainly relevant to where they sit on the table at the moment.

Comment

I heard a very interesting comment regarding the next TV deal.
                            I was at a function that Michael Maguire was speaking at and he was asked about the next TV deal. He said that the NRL should use it to regain control of the game from the media.

The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                              I heard a very interesting comment regarding the next TV deal.
                              I was at a function that Michael Maguire was speaking at and he was asked about the next TV deal. He said that the NRL should use it to regain control of the game from the media.

Control comes at a price and they want to get as much as possible because there is a lot of do re mi flowing out of NRL HQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X