Not a Roosters Topic : Robbie Farrah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2026 View Post
    I think Lawrence signed a 5 year deal back in 2011 worth $1.7 mill. This at the time when he was playing for the Kangaroos and before he dislocated his hip.

It'd suck to be a Tigers fan at the moment. They are the true definition of a basket case club with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Yep. They can't even go into the market. They have no cap space even if they offload Farah. All the other clubs know how desperate they are so nobody would offer much for him at all - which is about all he is worth anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
      What a disappointment Chris Lawrence has turned out to be - not entirely his fault, as he has been incredibly cruelled by injury, which have stalled his career. He should be thankful the Tigers have stuck by him as long as they have.

I remember when he made his debut as a schoolboy and everybody saying the sky was the limit. The sky certainly fell in on him pretty quickly and how.

Will be interesting to see how the Farrah situation pans out - he is a proud bloke and I can't see him wanting to play reggies even if it is for $1M a year. And I reckon most NRL clubs will be loathe to get involved in any deal with the Tigers, as they know they are not guaranteed to hold up their part of the bargain. ESL may be his only option, which would be a bitter pill for him to accept.

JT hasn't picked his choice of clubs to coach very well has he - first the Vermin, now the Tigers. And he dodged a bullet with Parra as well.

NC

This could be the end of his career. Everyone knew it would take a few years to turn that place around but the pressure will start building. Especially when the media starts saying he made a mistake in getting rid of Farrah because they are still crap - when the reality is that was the first thing he had to do to turn the place around (the cap being the convenient excuse).

Comment

Farrah is like Gallen.

They think they are bigger than the club.

Getting rid of Farrah is a great move.

Sharks should have had the balls to punt Gallen. The way he carried on about playing Origin next season was a disgrace. Then the clowns sign him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

He acted the fool before he signed there and a marquee player. They relied upon it. Started going about building their whole club around him. He played the good sort in the media. He didn't tell them what was going on. Then he left them at the alter.

As I said, he put in a shocker. And it was a disgrace.

It's too easy to blame the manager. In this case, the manager had the shits with Gold Coast and that may have played a part - but at the end of the day it was his decision.
          I would question any business that shapes their organisation around the signing of a player when they know the deal hasn't been registered. I know the situation is ugly and it's partially due to how the rules are. But why should he look after the titans? He's trying to play two clubs off each other for the highest bid. Nothing wrong with it.. Players do it every season and if he wasn't as good as he is then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigchook View Post

I would question any business that shapes their organisation around the signing of a player when they know the deal hasn't been registered. I know the situation is ugly and it's partially due to how the rules are. But why should he look after the titans? He's trying to play two clubs off each other for the highest bid. Nothing wrong with it.. Players do it every season and if he wasn't as good as he is then it wouldn't be a big deal.
            With the dumb rule they have no choice.

Comment

While the Tigers salary cap position is atrocious, Taylor is using it as an excuse for getting rid of Farah. I thought from the start the two would clash. Both have similar prickly personalities. What I think is disgraceful though is that Farah wasn't told of Taylor's plans until 2 weeks from the end of the season. How is he supposed to get a decent contract elsewhere now? Very poor form from Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post
                While the Tigers salary cap position is atrocious, Taylor is using it as an excuse for getting rid of Farah. I thought from the start the two would clash. Both have similar prickly personalities. What I think is disgraceful though is that Farah wasn't told of Taylor's plans until 2 weeks from the end of the season. How is he supposed to get a decent contract elsewhere now? Very poor form from Taylor.
                I think JT is a dud HEAD coach. He found his niche here at the chooks just assisting. I think he will get the punt early next year when there going bad.
                It's a disgrace to tell your captain and star player two weeks before the seasons up to go find another club. It's almost like Taylor doesn't want him at another NRL club. He'd rather see him vanish over to England were you won't hear from him again.

Comment

That actually made it worse for them not him. The chances of another club paying more of his contract dissipated as Te time went by.

Comment

How many clubs have had issues with "back ended" contracts? Had we lesser men administering our cap we could have gotten into trouble over Sheck in an attempt to keep him.

Viva Le O'Sullivan.

Chook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                      Farah would be good at Souths. A clever footballer with a great kicking game. Even at this stage of his career he's got a lot to offer. He's beyond Origin I'd say but I can see him being a big signing for Souths. Very different style to Isaac Luke, but then Luke's struggled without the rolling go-forward of Sam Burgess and co. Farah will change up their game a bit.
                      He would be good at $ouff$ because he is rubbish. His kicking game cost them the 2010 spot in the GF just to mention one of many poor decisions over the years.
                      I am not really sure that Farrah is polarising but he is a very selfish player that is no good for any team
                      The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                      Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                      sigpic

Comment

The hard part for coaches is that they need to assemble the players they want to execute their vision. This generally takes 2-3 seasons but the game is so results driven that if you don't succeed with another coaches roster you get the sack. I think the players are having too much of a say in coaching selections. It's the coaches team not the captain. Farah is a great player, despite what has been said, but he is not a great leader or captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigchook View Post

The hard part for coaches is that they need to assemble the players they want to execute their vision. This generally takes 2-3 seasons but the game is so results driven that if you don't succeed with another coaches roster you get the sack. I think the players are having too much of a say in coaching selections. It's the coaches team not the captain. Farah is a great player, despite what has been said, but he is not a great leader or captain.
                          Agree. But Farah signed a contract in good faith. He forego income in the first two years of his contract presumably to help the club with its salary cap position. He forego that income under the expectation that he would get the extra money in the second half (backend) of his contract. And while the Tigers are now obligated to pay him that money, realistically the only way he will get that money is if he finds another club which is prepared to pay about half the money, while the tigers only have to make up the difference. At this point in time, his options are limited and overseas is the best option. This is unfair on Farah if he is forced to uproot and head for overseas. It is also ridiculous that a club can effectively bribe a player to stay under the pretext that they will get the extra money at the backend of their contract and then when that time comes, dump the player and expect another club and the player and his manager to sort out the mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

That actually made it worse for them not him. The chances of another club paying more of his contract dissipated as Te time went by.
                            Good point. It's stuffed both parties. But I disagree that the situation is worse for the club than Farah. The impact on Farah is more of a personal nature which can also impact on his family. If he has kids etc, having to uproot them all when he signed a contract in good faith and agreed to take his money backended for the benefit of the club. The guy deserves to be treated with more respect given his standing at the club and his role in its history. Would we have treated Mini if we treated Mini like that?

Comment

Agree. But Farah signed a contract in good faith. He forego income in the first two years of his contract presumably to help the club with its salary cap position. He forego that income under the expectation that he would get the extra money in the second half (backend) of his contract. And while the Tigers are now obligated to pay him that money, realistically the only way he will get that money is if he finds another club which is prepared to pay about half the money, while the tigers only have to make up the difference. At this point in time, his options are limited and overseas is the best option. This is unfair on Farah if he is forced to uproot and head for overseas. It is also ridiculous that a club can effectively bribe a player to stay under the pretext that they will get the extra money at the backend of their contract and then when that time comes, dump the player and expect another club and the player and his manager to sort out the mess.
                              I don't agree with players signing back ended contracts like that. Contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on now and players need to be more aware. But ultimately he has to be paid. I'd play reggies and get the money I was owed.

Comment

It was said by Paul Kent that Robbie Farah's manager requested that the club not inform Robbie and that the manager would find a deal and propose that to him first. It has not happened that way but so be it. Robbie Farah was more than willing to use the Parramatta Eels as leverage in his own negotiations with the Wests Tigers.

The Wests Tigers are in the same predicament that the Penrith Panthers were in by paying very large sums of money to keep young talent which made it difficult to recruit a squad around this taken in future years and to also retain the next group of young players. Jason Taylor can not be held responsible for the mismanagement of the Wests Tigers salary cap and if he deems that Robbie Farah is not providing a sufficient return on the salary cap space he is taking up then it is in the best interest for all involved to part ways. The Wests Tigers can not move forward with their squad while a player takes up $1,000,000 p.a. of salary cap space while not providing the expected performances.

Comment

Working...
                                X