Roosters 2016 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

Did you watch the NSW Cup final? Elliott was dreadful, I can't see any scenario in which he gets first crack.
    What I am saying is what I think will happen.

I agree with you to an extent. I'm not 100% sold on Elliot as a long term prospect yet.

Due to the fullback situation, I think Robbo will be very, very reluctant to start the season with a debutante in the backline - whether that be Mitchell/Burgess, Nikorama or whatever. Elliot has first grade experience and has an existing combination with his center partner, and I think Robbo will play safe and go down this route first. Elliot wasn't resigned for nothing.

The only way I think we will see a rookies in the backline to start the year is through injury or seriously exceptional trial form.
    Last edited by Steakface; 10-09-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Isaac Liu absolutely positively will be in the 17. And rightly so.

So work around that, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

I'm hearing you... Liu in, now who to cut from the 17.
        Aubs maybe and lose his coverage, surely not Boyd. Maybe cut Guerra... Aus & S.O.O rep player? S.S.T?

Help me here Tommy...
        "The only time you start at the top is when you are digging a hole."
        - Jack Gibson

Comment

It's a very good question. We have amazing forward depth.

I just feel certain that Liu will be in the 17. Perhaps 4 forwards on the bench.

8. JWH
          10. Napa
          11. Guerra
          12. Cordner
          13. Liu

14. Evans
          15. Moa
          16. SST
          17. Aubo

I'd love to see Nikorima given a crack at fullback. A ball playing option out the back could really help alleviate the pressure on the halves... of course I suggest this with no idea regarding his ability in the no.1 jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Double View Post

I'm hearing you... Liu in, now who to cut from the 17.
            Aubs maybe and lose his coverage, surely not Boyd. Maybe cut Guerra... Aus & S.O.O rep player? S.S.T?

Help me here Tommy...
            Nikorima and Aubs covers the utility role, like we've always done at full strength.

Nikorima still hasn't proven anything yet.

Comment

What about Hastings at fullback? He has played there in rep games and also in his juniors so the position is not totally foreign to him.
              A full off season there and some guidance from Mini could help.
              The only potential negative is that we would have to change our style of attack because I don't think he is very strong with his runs from dummy half.

Comment

Originally posted by JAF View Post
                What about Hastings at fullback? He has played there in rep games and also in his juniors so the position is not totally foreign to him.
                A full off season there and some guidance from Mini could help.
                The only potential negative is that we would have to change our style of attack because I don't think he is very strong with his runs from dummy half.
                They might try that and give Matterson a crack in the halves.

Comment

After reading the article in the paper about his sacking from the roosters and trying to turn his life around with the help of Sonny i wouldn't be surprised if Meehan comes back to the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

At full strength, we'd have to have four forwards on the bench to work around that.
                    Liu does deserve a spot I agree.

Mind you, a couple of injuries occur, and the problem is opposite.
                    Imagine JWH and Evans are suspended, and Cordner or another gets injured?
                    Without Matagi and Meehan, the forward depth don't look so great.

Comment

Anyway you try and cut this team, 25 doesn't go into 17 and some very talented players will miss out. The question is who...
                      With the exception of Burgess potentially playing FB, I've got to think Robbo wanted it this way. Burgess if he's able to make the transition is just a bonus.

No doubt holds us in good stead come origin time, and origin offers players another opportunity... like when S.S.T. came into his own in 2015.
                      Nikorima and Burgess are substantial $ investments so one would think they are thereabouts early. Nikorima will likely need to bide his time making way for Lui to remain on the bench. Mitchell / Burgess with respect to the FB position could go either way depending on early indications. SKD's place in the side however is the one most under threat IMO... I like him in our side and would like to see him finish on his own terms whenever that might be, but I don't see it TBH. His holding down a wing spot becomes a virtual cork for future development remembering that 'future' means nothing like it used to in the modern game.

Otherwise, there is a plan to let some players go or let some of our recent signings simply wither.
                      - Jack Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by kakaruk View Post
                        After reading the article in the paper about his sacking from the roosters and trying to turn his life around with the help of Sonny i wouldn't be surprised if Meehan comes back to the club.
                        Meehan would still qualify for the 20's if they still have one.
                        - Jack Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by JAF View Post
                          ...The only potential negative is that we would have to change our style of attack...
                          Or you could see the glass that's about to be poured as half-full and not half empty.
                          - Jack Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by Double View Post
                            Anyway you try and cut this team, 25 doesn't go into 17 and some very talented players will miss out. The question is who...
                            With the exception of Burgess potentially playing FB, I've got to think Robbo wanted it this way. Burgess if he's able to make the transition is just a bonus.

No doubt holds us in good stead come origin time, and origin offers players another opportunity... like when S.S.T. came into his own in 2015.
                            Nikorima and Burgess are substantial $ investments so one would think they are thereabouts early. Nikorima will likely need to bide his time making way for Lui to remain on the bench. Mitchell / Burgess with respect to the FB position could go either way depending on early indications. SKD's place in the side however is the one most under threat IMO... I like him in our side and would like to see him finish on his own terms whenever that might be, but I don't see it TBH. His holding down a wing spot becomes a virtual cork for future development remembering that 'future' means nothing like it used to in the modern game.

Otherwise, there is a plan to let some players go or let some of our recent signings simply wither.
                            SKD's position is under no threat whatsoever. One shocking mistake aside, he was one of the teams best players in 2015 and his metre's out of our own territory and fast play the balls were vital to getting our set's off to a quick start and allowing the forwards to hit the ball up with opposition defences back pedalling. With RTS gone he will become even more important as he was the other player most responsible for getting our sets underway. Laugh all you may like but he may be given a crack at fullback next season.

Comment

As I said, IMO it's unlikely that SKD will hold down a wing spot for too much longer. Incidently no one is laughing either. The make up of next years 17 is anyones guess at this stage and likely to go through several revisions until a combination is settled on.
                              - Jack Gibson

Comment

He'll have just turned 28 at the start of 2016. Hardly over the hill.

He's easily our best winger and will be one of the first names on the teamsheet IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X