Roosters 2016 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters 2016 Predictions

To say I'm excited by what season 2016 offers Rooster fans is an understatement. At the heart of this is the expected tussells for the key positions in the halves and the fullback roles. Competition for these spots will be strong with these youngsters surely going all out to assert their claims longterm. I look forward to a new balance of youth, experience and versatility to our team.

Opportunities are seemingly everywhere. The need to fill existing positions not only guarantees competition among the players will be intense, but the fresh faces filling these key roles might afford a window of change that ordinarilly might not be possible, or necessarilly wise, for a reasonably settled and well performing squad of this calibre. How radical any of these changes might turn out to be will depend heavilly on the makeup of our spine (1,6,7 & 9) and the style of attack and brand of football that's seen as a natural fit by the coaching staff. Perhaps rather than dwell on any silver linings with the departures of Maloney and RTS the focus might turn to a more positive plan of restructure and rejuvination.

Either way I believe we are well placed to continue to be a dominant force and adding more strings to our bow. And for the first time in many seasons some very real pressure on a greater number of positions within the team. All things going well, this team will truly consist of contributions that over the course of the season will come from all 25 players within the squad.

So over to the crystal ball for a early lineup;

Joe Burgess
    Daniel Tupou
    Michael Jennings
    Blake Ferguson
    Latrell Mitchell
    Mitchell Pearce
    Jackson Hastings
    Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
    Jake Friend
    Dylan Napa
    Boyd Cordner
    Mitchell Aubusson
    Sio Siua Taukeiaho

Jayden Nikorima
    Sam Moa
    Kane Evans
    Aiden Guerra

Certainly not an easy list to compile. Some key ommissions that are not easy to make.

Agree? Disagree? Am I am I missing something?
    "The only time you start at the top is when you are digging a hole."
    - Jack Gibson

Have you seen Joe Burgess play? The guy may be a good finisher, helped by the fact he plays for one of the better teams, but he is very error prone. There is no way they will play him at fullback.

I do not think Fergo is a fullback either and you would only be weakening the center position anyway.

I hope that Latrell Mitchell has a great off season and is ready to give fullback a crack. I doubt it though. Nikorima has also played fullback in the past.
    Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Double - I get the feeling that Elliot will get a crack in the starting side first up. Though Mitchell shows tremendous promise, his defensive abilities are not good enough for 1st grade either at fullback or on the wing. yet.

I presume Burgess will also be in the starting line up - why would we have bought him otherwise? If this is correct, either Fergo, Tupou or SKD will be starting fullback. I would personally be a fan of giving Tupou a crack, I think he is starting to show much improvement and is starting to become more assertive and confident in backing himself.

I wrote this 2 days ago on another forum. My other thoughts (couldnt be arsed re-typing the thing!)

We have a very good roster and will be extremely competitive next year.

IMO we will finish the regular season around 5th - 6th.

We still have one of the best packs in the competition. A front row rotation of JWH-MOA-NAPA-EVANS is easily the best in the comp. Throw in SST and Cordners (who continues to improve significantly) runs on top of that! Combined with Pearce's kicking game I feel we will dominate field position in the majority of our games

I'm most worried about our fullback situation the most. I think as a running/defensive fullback Fergo can do the job, however this will restrict creativity as from what I have seen his passing/playmaking is woeful, and Nikorama is very green.
      As such, I would expect a big focus to be on second phase play/offloads from the likes of JWH, Moa, Evans, with fast movements via the halves out to our damaging centres and wingers to be a mainstay of our attack.

I think our halves will be fine. I don't get the Pearce hate at all - outside of Thurston/Hunt/Cronk he is the next best halfback in the comp. I think he has the potential to improve IF he can improve his performance between the ears. I also think he still panics and overplays and needs more subtlety. I'm confident he has upside and will improve, however I'm not convinced he is the right captain for our team.

It'll be great to see Hastings grow.

As good as Cordner, Maubs and Guerra are, I still think a glaring weakness if a lack of a ball-playing second rower. I think we need to move one of these three on before long (preferably Maubs - IMO I think he has peaked) and look at a Glenn Stewart/Mateo type. This will take pressure off the need for the fullback to be so creative with the ball and provide more attacking options.

Comment

Softcoqs We will win the premiership of course. I make the same prediction every year though.

Comment

Hi Steakface,
          I agree there's the potential for most of our players to hold down a particular spot and an argument can be made for a variety of reasons in most cases. I agree Elliot hasn't let the side down at all on what we've seen so far, and then there's the likes of SKD who I didn't mention at all. I believe most of these decisions will hinge on which players 'get' the bigger picture in attack, and those players the coach believes will grow or adapt in each position. Having said that, the Roosters team that eventually takes the field in 2016 will not be as stable as the team we have enjoyed for the past few seasons. It is hoped therefore, but still remains to be seen, whether any new combination has the potential to become even more than the sum of it's parts in a sense. I think this is the key going forward with a host of players potentially vying for a start and each offering something different. Only time will tell...

@John Corey,
          I have seen a little of the highlights of Burgess and you are correct he has errors in him. The unknown factor in my mind is how he potentially takes to the faster more rugged NRL style. I'm impressed by his kick returns which to my eyes come naturally. So I'm suggesting that as an overall WIP, while there are definitely aspects of his game that need working on, there might be some aspects that he already has covered to a large degree. A great benefit is having Mini's experience here as I expect he will gauge quickly if the kid is right for the job. Again, as I suggested above, I'd be fine knowing we have the right man in place if it means we get the odd hiccup along the way. Otherwise, we move on filling in the pieces.

IMO and it might sound odd at first, I think we have given ourselves too little to think about and master as a team. Perhaps too much focus or too narrow a focus more correctly. I liken it to the swing of a pro golfer that is in trouble... finding the groove again can be very difficult when the rest of your game is on song. But how often do you see golfers who have been 'thereabouts' suddenly burst from the pack and win successive titles. Confidence grows confidence in the individual and has the ability to inspire others.

However each of us see the current situation and crop of players we have, one thing for certain is growth and building confidence as a unit will feature prominently if we are to succeed.
          Last edited by Double; 10-08-2015, 06:42 PM.
          - Jack Gibson

Comment

Fullback is by far our biggest concern, a lot of options, but will any of them bear fruit, how soon is Tedesco off contract,lol

Comment

Why should Burgess walk into the team.?
              He's coming from an inferior comp, to the best team in the best comp.
              We have two proven wingers who both had great seasons, and a back up who scored 3 tries in his last appearance.
              Burgess should have to earn a spot through Wyong, imo...

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                Why should Burgess walk into the team.?
                No one's suggesting anyone walks into the team.
                He's coming from an inferior comp, to the best team in the best comp.
                Personally I don't care where he's coming from, only where he's going to.
                We have two proven wingers who both had great seasons, and a back up who scored 3 tries in his last appearance.
                Very true. So like me, you're suggesting we shift a winger to fullback?
                Burgess should have to earn a spot through Wyong, imo...
                I'm ok with Burgess and anyone else for that matter earning their spot to do so by any means that impresses Robbo.
                - Jack Gibson

Comment

Put mitchell at fullback, hes been training with the top squad all year, mini has been coaching him as well hes a future superstar i think he will go ok.

Comment

Fergo
                    Toups
                    Jenko
                    Elliot/SKD
                    SKD/Elliot
                    SOH
                    Pearce

Fark knows, maybe a new signing or Omar or Mitchell, or Mini come back.
                    Toups
                    Jenko
                    Fergo
                    SKD
                    SOH
                    Pearce

Fergo
                    Toups
                    Jenko
                    SKD
                    Burgess/Elliot/Mitchell
                    SOH
                    Pearce

Comment

Originally posted by Double View Post
                      So like me, you're suggesting we shift a winger to fullback?
                      Yikes.
                      Didn't mean to , but maybe there's no choice.
                      Bloody RTS.
                      If it has to be one of our current three-quarters, I'd give Toupo first shot.
                      Hope SKD stays on the wing.

Comment

Yikes.
                        Didn't mean to , but maybe there's no choice.
                        Bloody RTS.
                        If it has to be one of our current three-quarters, I'd give Toupo first shot.
                        Hope SKD stays on the wing.
                        It isn't easy.
                        I'm not saying I'm right either, but until you try to work through it you don't realise how many options/compromises depending on how you see it there really are.
                        I can understand those of us that want to keep the team as close to the existing one as possible and maybe that's the way to go.
                        I can also see a lot of potential benefit remoulding this team differently than we might be used to.

In coming up with my list I tried to consider the likes of key pairings, mixing some youth with experience off the bench etc. Again, just my take is all.
                        - Jack Gibson

Comment

and SKD is where? Wyong? Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
                            Double - I get the feeling that Elliot will get a crack in the starting side first up. Though Mitchell shows tremendous promise, his defensive abilities are not good enough for 1st grade either at fullback or on the wing. yet.
                            Did you watch the NSW Cup final? Elliott was dreadful, I can't see any scenario in which he gets first crack.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                              and SKD is where? Wyong? Not a chance.
                              Like I said, not easy. SKD enters his 10th year at the club in 2016 and yes I'm a fan. And I concede I have no easy answer...

Now I can't help but notice the quote in your sig... looking for less structured play and more variety up the guts essentially. And again I agree. This aint gonna happen if we leave the team intact and throw Mitchell in at the back and Hastings to 6. Does it not make sense then to blood more than Mitchell in the event he or someone else goes down? A member on here posted elsewhere they don't subscribe to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality and I agree. Versatility is the key I believe. You? What would you do?
                              - Jack Gibson

Comment

Working...
                              X