Roosters 2016 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Wait for Pearce to gain more experience????
    If this is the plan then apparently so.
    "The only time you start at the top is when you are digging a hole."
    - Jack Gibson

Comment

Anyway you look at it we will have a good team, the least positional changers the better for my money - SOH will straight swap for BBQ at 5/8, Fergo at FB simply because of his XFactor and size, SKD pushes in and Elliot/ Burgess on Wing , Aubs holds the Utility spot on bench.

Comment

If we couldn't win in 2015 I fail to see how we are going to win in 2016.

Comment

2016 is a new year , maybe we won't make the same mistakes as last year.
          With the proposed change to the rules maybe the subtle changes will suit us better.

Comment

Originally posted by Game Fowl View Post
            Anyway you look at it we will have a good team, the least positional changers the better for my money - SOH will straight swap for BBQ at 5/8, Fergo at FB simply because of his XFactor and size, SKD pushes in and Elliot/ Burgess on Wing , Aubs holds the Utility spot on bench.
            SKD was exceptional on the wing this year. Why consider moving him?
            Burgess and Elliott can wollow in reserve grade.

Comment

I don't think they bought Burgess for him to wallow in reserve grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
                If we couldn't win in 2015 I fail to see how we are going to win in 2016.
                Not if we continue to play as we have. The lols tried changing it up from the power game of 2014 to ball playing on the fringes but truth be known they weren't up to it.
                With the interchange rule modified in 2016 it becomes even harder now to win by rolling over teams like that week in week out. There has to be some respite in 'our game' for our pack in the way we play and we'll need more than the 2 & 5 taking some early hitups. It's just a matter of striking the right balance of aggressive go forward and the halves controlling play over the course of 80 min.
                - Jack Gibson

Comment

SKD and Toops are both better wingers than him. You can't disagree with this. SKD was exceptional bringing the ball back this year. His quick play the balls were also very useful. He can't be so potent from centre. I also don't think he has the skill at centre to set up his winger. This year was his best year since 2010. Why would you change his position?
                  Burgess has supposedly excelled in a second rate competition. I don't think he should be a walk up start in first grade in NRL.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
                    1-Tupou
                    2-Burgess
                    3-Jennings
                    4-Fergo
                    5-SKD
                    6-Pearce
                    7-Hastings
                    8-JWH
                    9-Friend
                    10-Napa
                    11-Cordner
                    12-Aubusson
                    13-SST

14-Moa
                    15-Evans
                    16-Liu
                    17-Guerra

yep thats my team. and sitting in the wings is a few 20s and wyongs guts who will do the pre season with us.

How do you think Toops will go fielding a grubber kick in the in goal area with the attacking team chasing through?

Comment

I think they bought Burgess expecting either Toops or SKD would leave and Roger would stay. A stuff up really.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                        How do you think Toops will go fielding a grubber kick in the in goal area with the attacking team chasing through?
                        he will kick it onto the moon.

Comment

But seriously folks,
                          this is the same thing Mini copped so much flak on here for.
                          A well weighted grubber with chasers is a dangerous situation for any fullback.
                          The fullback position, much like Toupo in the 2013 grand final, is still up in the air.

Comment

I think they bought Burgess expecting either Toops or SKD would leave and Roger would stay. A stuff up really.
                            I'd say you are 100% correct but IMO this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...
                            So I'll answer your question re Burgess on the other thread here...

Firstly I don't know anything for certain and I'll have likely seen no more of Burgess than anyone else here. If Burgess can make the transition to fb the benefit to the team is enormous. If we can fill the fb position with a 'budget buy' player and not have to fork out $350-450k it might mean we can hang onto another player for the immediate season or allow us the option to defer a decision until 2017. If Burgess holds down the spot this allows Nikorima to come into the team off the bench gaining experience at 6,7 and/or 9 as and when Robbo see's fit. This takes the pressure of Robbo and Latrell Mitchell if he is still short of where he needs to be. He can come into the team on the wing playing outside either Fergo or SKD and turn that combination into a threesome.

There's the overall benefit to club and team.

'Smokin Joe' has the speed to burn and I have been told he's working hard on his technique to gain even more. If he plays at the back for the Roosters the pressure will be on attacking teams to get the kick right and not leave holes in their defence or he'll cut through. He has the ability to link up with his support players and in turn he backs them up. He looks safe under the high ball with a good pair of hands but I conceed that to date it's not under NRL intensity on your own line with defenders bearing down on him. He will need work but so will the other candidates...

All I'm suggesting here is an option, no more considering we have no ideal solution or stand out player to fill the spot. How viable it will be will depend on Burgess 100%... is he here for a holiday or does he have greater aspirations? Does he want to work for the chance to prove himself and potentially transform his life via a massive payday if he can make himself a decent fullback.

I like you are sceptical of imports coming in to the NRL as so called superstars. Often they leave for home early. But I think this lad is different. For one he's humble and that's a great start if you want to begin to teach somebody. Also I wonder what our coaching and our strength and conditioning depts might find he has left in the tank... If he wanted to transition to fb could he want for a better mentor in Mini? Same goes for Latrell. I'm sure work with the AFL coaches will also feature.
                            - Jack Gibson

Comment

You are right. If Burgess works out well as a cheap option he will be a bonus. Earlier this year it seemed Toups was gone but then RTS left and things changed.

Comment

Umm not very well. Can you imagine how many times he would also be driven back into the in goal area for a dropout?

Comment

Working...
                                X