• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 was OK

Never tire of watching this.

Some observations....

How fast on his feet was Big Artie?

How good was Monkey Mayes at sniffing out a try?

Harris was a beast - centres of his size, power and pace just weren't around in those days.

How good was it to see referees awarding tries that looked like tries without hesitation? Not the Kentucky Fried Bullcrap let's look at a dozen replays to try and find a way to disallow a try - the beyond reasonable doubt standard applicable to a criminal trial - spare me days.

Comment

I was very lucky to have witnessed the 74-75 era every weekend, they were a sublime team.

Comment

The support play was a massive feature. And Schubert was near unstoppable. Imagine the scoreline in the GF if Harris and Fairfax hadn't been injured

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
          I was very lucky to have witnessed the 74-75 era every weekend, they were a sublime team.
          likewise. unheralded players like greg bandiera and ian baker were solid but the the orignal axe - bunny reilly a true champ.coach gibson was a big fan of bunny reilly.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post

likewise. unheralded players like greg bandiera and ian baker were solid but the the orignal axe - bunny reilly a true champ.coach gibson was a big fan of bunny reilly.
            I often wonder if the Axe would make it in the modern game...thoughts?
            Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Schubert was a beast with a fend that left an indentation on the opposing players melon.

The game is so structured these days. We've lost all that beautiful flowing support play.

Comment

Originally posted by The Axe View Post

The defenders are and always will be the corner stone.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCoq View Post
                  The defenders are and always will be the corner stone.
                  Agree with what you say, BC.

Bunny would go low and was smaller than Friend. He could not play back row, possibly only hooker. If you look at the Rooster video, you do not see him feature in attack. I only recall a run out of dummy half.
                  Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Agree with what you say, BC.

Bunny would go low and was smaller than Friend. He could not play back row, possibly only hooker. If you look at the Rooster video, you do not see him feature in attack. I only recall a run out of dummy half.
                    Bunny Reilly had speed and his build slightly more athletic than Friends. Both players workhorses. Bunny wasn't featured so much in the vid but I have fond memories of him making breaks one in particular when he was injured playing out on the left wing at the old sports ground where he made a long break to but Ronny Saddler in for a try against Saints.Reilly was like Aubo - a must have in the team.

Comment

Interchange rule would reduce his value somewhat.
                      The axe was a rugby league player , I'm not sure what this modern game is.............

Comment

I think the hard workers of that era would stand a chance...

Comment

Working...
                        X