Newcastle prove the cap is crap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Knights have Gagai, Hodkinson, Uate, Jeremy Smith, the Sims brothers...etc. I don't feel THAT sorry for them.

IMO their biggest issue is that Wayne blew their salary cap hoping for a premiership in 2013. He got a close but no cigar result and then left them without juniors or money left under the cap.
    Geez, Hodkinson is poo, Smith is 36 and the Sims brothers are the most over rated players in the comp.....and they're Newie's star?

Comment

I think Tariq is supremely overrated. Korbin is pretty talented. Not someone you can build a pack around obviously.

I'd like to see the cap raised so that we are the highest paying code who can attract the best players in the world. But I want every club to be able to have a roster worth the same amount. I like the evenness of our comp and don't consider it contrived.

Comment

The team that finishes 16th gets an extra $1 million to spend on recruitment/retention the following season. 15th - $500k. 14th $250k.

The other issues are 1) Poor management. 2) Only 6 or so good/great coaches. 3) The missus doesn't wan't to live in Newcastle or Canberra.

Comment

How many sporting competitions in the world have a salary cap without a draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Braith Anasta's Wallet View Post
            How many sporting competitions in the world have a salary cap without a draft?
            What do you think Thurston would do if he was drafted by Canberra?

I know i'd rather play French or Japanese Rugby than live and play for Canberra.

Comment

Originally posted by 2026 View Post
              The team that finishes 16th gets an extra $1 million to spend on recruitment/retention the following season. 15th - $500k. 14th $250k.

The other issues are 1) Poor management. 2) Only 6 or so good/great coaches. 3) The missus doesn't wan't to live in Newcastle or Canberra.
              2 problems implementing that system, if the team that comes last has a million xtra cap they would then have to shed players to get back under the cap the year after that, and you would probably end up with a very mediocre last 2-3 rounds as the bottom few clubs stampede to come last once they are no longer in contention for the 8.

Comment

I know i'd rather play French or Japanese Rugby than live and play for Canberra.
                Who says that it has to be established NRL players being drafted?

The game is stuck between heritage and modern professionalism.

Comment

A team finishing last doesn't prove the salary cap is crap.

There's a shit team finishing last in every sport in the world, salary cap or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Braith Anasta's Wallet View Post

Who says that it has to be established NRL players being drafted?

The game is stuck between heritage and modern professionalism.
                    Established or rookies, it makes no difference. A player should decide who he plays for or it becomes restriction of trade.

Comment

Then the salary cap needs to be removed.

Comment

The NRL's share the love business model works more effectively than the salary cap.

No team will go back to back under the current administration! There will be more close contests and the ladder in and around the 8th position will always be congested.

Watch the Cows get reemed in the Preliminary final. The Broncos will vs a team that has no hope in the GF ala Souffs v Bulldogs 2014.

Comment

Don't knock living in the glorious nation's capital. We can't all live at your post code!

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

Don't knock living in the glorious nation's capital. We can't all live at your post code!
                            Sorry MR. I don't mean to offend anyone.

I read an article on how Tedesco amongst others including JWH rejected big offers from the Raiders and that's why i used the nations capital as an example.

I'd probably still opt for France though

After 47 years in Bondi i'm considering a move to da Shire.

Comment

yea...scrap the cap...lets watch brisbane win it year after year...awesome idea

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Expand on that when you got time?
                                Always find your opinions interesting despite the Tobinator jokes. That's just me.
                                Running outta steam atm, but this makes for a good debate I reckon,.
                                How can you say the cap creates equality when there is such inequality amongst the third party arrangements?

Clubs will always cheat the cap but the third party situation is outrageously unfair.

I know they are trying to allow clubs to keep the best players in the game but it's crap. There are other ways to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X