Copley being shopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
    Funny thing is I reckon he has potential ..attacking wise shows some thing defencively -needs a good teacher ...dont I guess this means the great one is coming and teh centers will most likely be Manu and Latrell I would prefer a Manu fergo combo on the right and a Manu and Latrell Toup on the left is the great one for 2017 or 18? if we get him.
    I disagree with Bigchook's analysis (he seems to assume Copley's useless and nobody wants him). I have no reason to believe he's a bad player given he was injured all season...

But yes, dunno how I forgot Manu in my other post! Manu, Mitchell, Matterson, Fergo and SKD can all play centre. I don't know if he is so much better than those guys (who we already had on the books) that we NEEDED to sign him.

Comment

Maybe trying to free up some spondula for Teddy?

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
        Funny thing is I reckon he has potential ..attacking wise shows some thing defencively -needs a good teacher ...dont I guess this means the great one is coming and teh centers will most likely be Manu and Latrell I would prefer a Manu fergo combo on the right and a Manu and Latrell Toup on the left is the great one for 2017 or 18? if we get him.
        He's not a centre. No where good enough to defensively and doesn't have the speed to move laterally. He plays like a second rower out wide. We didn't need to spend 350k for someone like that. Matterson would be very similar for a third the price.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

I don't think copley was free, pretty sure broncos were footing about 50-80k for the 1st year, and i think we signed him for well over 300k, which is why i found it such an odd signing. He will be here for another two years at 350k if we don't find a club dumb enough to take him from us.
          That's right, we picked up Copley in mid to late January from memory. So the Broncos had already paid Nov-Jan 3 month portion of his contract.We just basically took over the terms for the remaining 9 months. Works out well if that player goes on to have a big year, which of course he didn't. Same situation with Jennings, we had already paid 3 months so parramatta got a good deal there.

Comment

Copley is a gun at backing up. He didn't show much other than that to consistently impress
            Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

> Jennings’ departure frees up significant salary cap space for the Tricolours with Copley’s three-year deal believed to be in the vicinity of $400K, with the Broncos paying a sizeable portion of his first year in Sydney.

All up he's cost us less than $400k for 3 years. He's cheap as chips!!!

The other piece of the puzzle is that we signed him before SKD had his court hearing. He was in the hands of the court and we had no idea how that was gonna go. A conviction woulda ended his career though (so we needed a backup option, with very few on the market and Jennings telling us there was no chance he'd stay).

Comment

In fairness, he came into a new team before he went down with a longterm injury and then came back late in the year to show a steady improvement. He won't be an X factor type of player but he can be a good steady influence out wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigchook View Post

The Jennings **** up is so underrated. We lost so many early games last season by so few points. Most scored out wide through poor decision making in the centres. What makes it worse is that he was bought last minute by an already over the cap parra side.
                  Problem is we could not afford to keep him. Besides that he was only worth the budget price we were paying for him. While I will forever remember some of the wonderful tries he scored, I will also remember the bucket loads of games where he did absolutely nothing and was on the bludge
                  The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                  Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post

Problem is we could not afford to keep him. Besides that he was only worth the budget price we were paying for him. While I will forever remember some of the wonderful tries he scored, I will also remember the bucket loads of games where he did absolutely nothing and was on the bludge
                    How could we not afford him? He was contracted for the year. We released him a year early knowing we'd lost roger and Jimmy. We'd made roger a large offer and didn't get him and then signed no one bar Copley who allegedly was on peanuts last yr. Maybe paki afu got his money.

Comment

Originally posted by kakaruk View Post
                      Dale isn't going to be missed by the chooks.Seems like somebody is cleaning up the mess that the recruitment and retention dept created the last couple of years.Wonder who is running things now?
                      Isn't uncle nick running recruitment after POS was sacked? And although it's definitely not gonna be as bad as losing jenko, dale did really pull it together in the last month or two of the comp both in attack & D, once he actually got some games under his belt. But i mean if it came down to copley or investing in Manu, the club would be silly to choose copley over manu

Comment

Copley was really good the past 2 months or so of the comp.

I think he's at least worth keeping around until Manu fully cements a spot in first grade.

Comment

Originally posted by roostersrule2 View Post

I think he's at least worth keeping around until Manu fully cements a spot in first grade.

I agree.... he came good after his long injury stint and did improve week in and week out of the bottom half of the year. When he was playing, Hastings wouldn't get the ball out to him as much as what Pearce did in the later half but I really did think him and Watson had a good combination of attack & speed especially in that Cowboys game.

Comment

Originally posted by roostersrule2 View Post

Agreed. I don't think Copley has had a fair chance to prove himself with us yet due to injury. Also, Manu still needs to be tested at first grade.

Hopefully there's some healthy competition amongst them (and maybe others such as Matterson) for that starting spot. Competition can't hurt...

Edit: I said it many times earlier (and was shut down) but IMO that was a big issue with Hastings, since signing him as a kid he was given the red carpet. I still wonder whether more time and more competition woulda gotten more out of him. Yes guys like Taylor and Cleary are (apparently) gun from day 1 (lets see them in 2017 if the teams struggle a bit) but not everybody is good to go at 18. Many mature into the role in their early (or late) 20's.

At my workplace many people are made seniors within 2-3 years. I feel that many miss out on a crucial stage of struggling/competing/developing and suffer later on because they lack the fire in the belly (and broader wisdom/maturity) that others who have had to fight for it often have.
                            Last edited by ism22; 11-29-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

ive never been a fan of crapley but the last few months he has shown glimpses of what a good footballer in attack he could be. his defensive mis- reads is what kills me. give him a decent pre season with the club and who knows. he may no longer be called crapley.
                              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Copley was ordinary early on, as were the other 16 players on the field with him.

Once he returned from injury I thought he showed glimpses of his potential.

His main problem was in defence. He couldn't read a picture book.
                                Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X