• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European union bid by Anasta

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012431,00.html

European union bid by Anasta

Bret Harris and Brent Read | May 26, 2009
    Article from: The Australian

SYDNEY Roosters captain Braith Anasta is being shopped around rich rugby union clubs in Europe, hinting at a possible switch of codes.

An informed source in Europe told The Australian that a player manager was trying to gauge if there was any interest in Anasta in England or France.

Anasta is managed by former NRL star Craig Gower's agent, Greg Willett although a different representative is believed to be spruiking the 27-year-old Rooster in Europe.

Gower, who is playing for French club Bayonne, will make his Test debut for Italy against the Wallabies in Canberra next month.

Another former high profile NRL player, Mark Gasnier, is playing for the Ewen McKenzie-coached Stade Francais in Paris.

It is understood Anasta, a former NSW State of Origin five-eighth, was unhappy about playing fullback in the Roosters' 48-6 loss to Penrith last weekend.

While it appears Anasta is interested in joining his former NRL mates in European rugby, the Roosters have indicated they would not release him from the last two years of his contract.

"I haven't heard any rumours to that effect," Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said.

"He is the skipper here. He plays a really important role. He has another two years to run."

Noyce admitted everyone at the Roosters was struggling as the club battled a woeful start to the season.

The Roosters have only won three games and coach Brad Fittler moved Anasta to fullback in an attempt to spark the team, but it did not have the desired effect.

"Everyone is disappointed at the moment," Noyce said. "We're not winning football games."

Anasta was chased by NSW Waratahs at the end of 2004 when he was with the Bulldogs, but he decided to stay in league.

Rumours. Smoke. Fire.
    The way I feel at the moment just about all of them can p!ss off to union.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If he left I don't think he would be a huge loss. His ball playing and passing skills leave a lot to be desired IMO.
      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
        If he left I don't think he would be a huge loss. His ball playing and passing skills leave a lot to be desired IMO.
        Not to mention the fact that he seems to have gone MIA lately.
        I would like to know the Roosters' win/loss record since he took over the captaincy as I suspect it won't make for flattering reading.
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

he flirted with the tahs a few years ago, but he said playing rep footy ie: Blues and Australia were his goals...well i doubt he will make it back

he will go to union

Comment

Like O'Meley his form has taken a nose dive but would we able to find a replacement 5/8? Or is that fullback now?

Comment

.. Let him go. I believe Symonds is nearly an exact red head replica of Anasta as he has the size, kicking game and running game just like Anasta's. And Tansey will always be the back up 5.8 off the bench. Also the money which will be freed up from leaving Anasta would let us re-sign players like Shack and a couple juniors and also free up a little bit of money to buy a YOUNG mobile back rower and not just another big name who will let us down.

Comment

How do people think we would go as a complete package in European Rugby..

Complete team including coaching staff off to France tomorrow..

Comment

I wont believe it until the Roosters announce it....

I think he will be a loss if he were to go, and not just for my own personal agenda..........In a bad lot there have been plenty of times that Braith was the only person out there having a go......

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
                    I wont believe it until the Roosters announce it....

I think he will be a loss if he were to go, and not just for my own personal agenda..........In a bad lot there have been plenty of times that Braith was the only person out there having a go......

While i'm not an Anasta fan,i never question his effort..

Just his ability..

And his attitude..

And his leadership qualities..

And where his attacking game disappears to in 2nd halves..

Apart from that i'm his biggest fan

Comment

Originally posted by Horrie Is God View Post
                      While i'm not an Anasta fan,i never question his effort..

Just his ability..

And his attitude..

And his leadership qualities..

And where his attacking game disappears to in 2nd halves..

Apart from that i'm his biggest fan

Glad to see you havent just jumped on the bandwagon then.......:

Comment

I don't see it!!!
                        I always think he is one of our hardest workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                          I don't see it!!!
                          I always think he is one of our hardest workers.

Yep he works hard..

I just want the Anasta "pre 2008 Origin" back..

He has been on the slide since Game 3..

The captaincy has hurt his game..BAAAAD..

Can't question his effort though..

Comment

Working...
                          X