Light Rail to the SFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Rail to the SFS

BARRY O'Farrell has committed to making a start on a light rail line through the city to the sporting grounds at Randwick and Fox Studios in this term of government.

In an interview to mark 100 days in the job, the Premier says a feasibility study into the line will be done within 12 months and "we will see light rail built in this city".

"A commencement [will be] made on new light rail tracks in this city before the next election," he said.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226091040649
    Good news, should boost the crowds a bit.

Someone closely related ot me wa the Chairman of Sydney Light Rail for over ten years.

Dring this time succesive Labor Governments had feasibility study after feasibility study into extending the current loop and running extra lines.

Due to the Transport Minister being appointed from the Rail Tram and Bus union (bus drivers union) and the main selling point of light rail being that it took buses off the streets and lightened traffic (but thereby took bus drivers out of jobs) there was no will to ever get this done.

Barry O'farrell doesnt need another feasibility study. There are 6 existing ones sitting in his draw. He needs cojones to not hide behind another one but read an existing one and the will to make a decision.

Just get on with it. Make it easy for people to get to the inner east and to games at the SFS especially.

Comment

I work on the Trains and am unfortunate to be part of the dysfunctional RTBU, as much as this light rail is needed, i wouldnt hold my breath, the bosses at the RTBU are in everyones back pocket.

Comment

Correct.

Its an old fashioned closed shop and Barry O and the Armenian both know it.

Good luck to them but progress if any will be glacial

Comment

There used to be light rail to the SCG, Showground...called trams.

Comment

What is the stat? Sydney had something like he second longest tram network in the world

Tore them all up like los angeles to get more people into cars. Thanks Ford and GM!

Comment

Working...
            X