This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more "canoe"

I generally don't get involved with how people express themselves, but increasingly I find it irksome that the term "canoe" is being used for some of our players.

Its racist and it doesn't sit well with me that some of our players are called this. Look, I support any player who is playing for the rwb and I don't care what colour they are.

And I certainly don't judge their ability based on nationality.

C'mon guys, keep up with the times, cut out the canoe slurs.

Are you Brian Smith?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Morley View Post
      Are you Brian Smith?
      No mate, just a rooster loving fan for most of my life. Just don't go for the racist slurs. Not trying to change people either, but just feel that racist stuff should stay between the ears if anywhere! maybe wrong, i dunno.

Comment

I don't disagree with you. Being of "wot" heritage I suppose I'm used to racist slurs

My comment was based on smithy having a favor towards poly players

Comment

Kaffir lovers.

Comment

there's a general belief that polynesian players whilst possessing athleticism and talent often lack heart and fitness.. quite true in some cases more than often imo. FPN seems to be the epitome of this belief anywho

Comment

I agree, nothing wrong with a good racist joke but this is over the top. This club has always had great ties to the Polynesian community both player and supporter base wise I'd hate to see that put at risk because of a few people trying to be funny. It's ignorant to think that the players don't come on here and read these threads especially the younger players.

I'd hate to miss out on watching a player like Moga develop at our club because of a few idiots.

Comment

fair cop.

I have been guilty of it.

Recognising the feeling here I will stop

Comment

Hands up....I use it.

And I have no problems using it.

Political correctness gone mad.

We vilify every player, coach, and forum member for having an opinion, girlfriend, boyfriend, gimp mask, or false teeth.

It is what it is...a harmless reference.

Dont make it bigger than it is.
                  Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1972 View Post
                    I generally don't get involved with how people express themselves, but increasingly I find it irksome that the term "canoe" is being used for some of our players.

Its racist and it doesn't sit well with me that some of our players are called this. Look, I support any player who is playing for the rwb and I don't care what colour they are.

I agree.

I feel uncomfortable when I read this term on our site. I could understand why people of Polynesian descent may take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1972 View Post

Despite me thinking this world has gone crazy in regards to political correctness, I totally agree with you. There is no need for it. And yes it is racism. Not a 'harmless reference'.

If you wanna enlighten people to your thoughts that polynesian players are lazy because of their nature/culture etc, then take the time to write it.
                      Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Morley View Post
                        I don't disagree with you. Being of "wot" heritage I suppose I'm used to racist slurs

My comment was based on smithy having a favor towards poly players
                        Is that as in WotTF are you ?

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                          Hands up....I use it.

And I have no problems using it.

Political correctness gone mad.

We vilify every player, coach, and forum member for having an opinion, girlfriend, boyfriend, gimp mask, or false teeth.

It is what it is...a harmless reference.

Dont make it bigger than it is.
                          You gotta love the double standards regarding this issue, I offend if I use the word jew to describe someone but it's ok to use canoe?

Chook.

Comment

In NZ we just call them FOB's - Fresh Off the Boat, or simply just 'Freshie's', the're all pretty down with that

Comment

Expect an article from the Telegraph that Roosters board members have a racist culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X