Gordon Tallis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Tallis

Having listened to that great Braith Anasta podcast I then went on to the Gordon Tallis one.

I enjoyed when he was slotting Bennett.

I didn't enjoy a story he told about Super League.

He went with the rest of the Saints players to Phillip Street. All other ARL bound players were there. He waited for hours and one player at a time were called in to meet with either Gus, Bozo or James Packer.

He said that there was some kind of formula they were using for how much to pay players. A test player got X. An origin player got Y. First Graders got Z.

He had played Origin at that time.

He ended up in front of Gus.

Gus said that he was only a bench player so he could only have $150K or something like that.

He was upset by that and walked out.

On the way out James Packer asked him what was wrong. He said that Gus said he was only a bench player and he could only have $150K. Packer said, "Go and play for the Roosters and I will give you $650K".

He said that he considered it and the fact Gus only considered him a bench player made him choose to go to SL for $450K.

What could have been.

You know what he's a great player,but he's an even greater Farkwit!,so I'm kind of glad he didn't play for the Roosters.As for Gus,you can't always be right & he had to make some quick decisions at the time.Even the great Artie got it wrong,Ben Jones comes to mind.
    The world is full of Kings & Queens,who blind your eye's & steal your dreams!

Comment

I don't think a player like Tallis could really commit to the Roosters. He is a purebred Queenslander. I know he played for Saints but still.
      Was a beast on the field but always seemed to be a massive farkwit to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
        Having listened to that great Braith Anasta podcast I then went on to the Gordon Tallis one.

I enjoyed when he was slotting Bennett.

I didn't enjoy a story he told about Super League.

He went with the rest of the Saints players to Phillip Street. All other ARL bound players were there. He waited for hours and one player at a time were called in to meet with either Gus, Bozo or James Packer.

He said that there was some kind of formula they were using for how much to pay players. A test player got X. An origin player got Y. First Graders got Z.

He had played Origin at that time.

He ended up in front of Gus.

Gus said that he was only a bench player so he could only have $150K or something like that.

He was upset by that and walked out.

On the way out James Packer asked him what was wrong. He said that Gus said he was only a bench player and he could only have $150K. Packer said, "Go and play for the Roosters and I will give you $650K".

He said that he considered it and the fact Gus only considered him a bench player made him choose to go to SL for $450K.

What could have been.
        We dodged that bullet. He is one of my most disliked players and I would not have liked him anywhere near our team.

Comment

I dont believe anyone who says they would have hated tallis at our club it's the same as hargraves as soon as they play for your team they become loved

Comment

Gould on this occasion was right. Tallis was only a bench player.
            Without damn good forwards around him he would have been nothing more than average. With a good pack of workers around him he was very good.
            But I can't rate a forward that is incapable of playing more than 30 miins no matter how good
            Last edited by Kingbilly; 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM.
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

I think Gordy's great and would love to have had him in the RWB.

But we did alright without him - 4 GFs and a premiership while he was playing. Plus, he might well have gone to Brisbane anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                Gould on this occasion was right. Tallis was only a bench player.
                Without damn good forwards around him he would have been nothing more than average. With a good pack of workers around him he was very good.
                But I can't rate a forward that is incapable of playing more than 30 miins no matter how good
                I dislike Tallis as much as the next guy but a bench player? Damn. From my memory he was a devastating backrower. Did he play really low minutes throughout his career? Sorry my memory isn't that good.

Comment

Thats my memory of it and when he was on and not doing something quite good, he was as lazy as ****
                  The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                  Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                  sigpic

Comment

Actually come to think of it I mostly remember him as a guy who always seemed angry and of course for that time when he was flipping the bird to the NSW fans.

Comment

Sliding doors but maybe signing Tallis would have cost us two bonafide Roosters legends (and better players?) in Adrian Morley and Craig Fitzgibbon.

Two of my 5 fave Roosters ever so I'm happy how things panned out in that sense.

Comment

Who remembers when Freddy laid out Tallis off our kick off.. Got carried off the field... It may have been 2000
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

morley came about 8 years later what does he have to do with it

Comment

That explains why Tallis hates our club so much. He had a lot to do with turning Hodges against us and leaving on top
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

I remember a night game at SFS where he was playing for the Broncos. He had spiders on him. He absolutely smashed us. Sure, he pick and chose his times. He wasn't a worker. But neither was Fletch and many other backrowers.
                              Whether you love or hate him, Gus definitely undervalued his ability.
                              Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Working...
                              X