X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bondi-boy View Post
    Really?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1111116296150

As a player Jack Gibson was a fearfully tough prop whose limited skills were more than compensated by his willingness in the tough stuff. He also enjoyed the underground gambling houses with their baccarat and two-up games that were protected by bribed police.

It was also Jack who brought the distressing news to the 1963 Wests dressing room just before the grand final kickoff against St George that the game was rigged.

Gibson told Wests that the referee Darcy Lawler had bet 600 pounds on St George. Saints won the highly controversial match 8-3.
    Nice use of precedent B.B. Argument made I think.

We could also throw in Kevin Humphreys' siphoning of funds to favor his favorite clubs back in the 1980s.

There has been corruption as long as there has been sport. My uncle told me of a player here in the Eastern Suburbs who had to move out of the area in the 60's because he threw the grand final of the local competition.

Comment

we received a penalty late in the second half close to their try line followed by another on the first tackle, followed by another, again first tackle, one commentator remarked, the penalties are starting to even up, to which his co- commentor countered with yes but with no metre gains for the Roosters.

Comment

As we saw many times in the last couple years, it is too easy for a referee to influence the result of an NRL game.

The biggest NRL scandal is yet to come and it will dwarf the salary cap and betting scandals. No doubt we will yet again see Gallop on his high horse implementing changes to problems after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
          As we saw many times in the last couple years, it is too easy for a referee to influence the result of an NRL game.

The biggest NRL scandal is yet to come and it will dwarf the salary cap and betting scandals. No doubt we will yet again see Gallop on his high horse implementing changes to problems after the fact.

How long do I have to wait for this to happen?

Comment

How long do I have to wait for this to happen?
            I am not saying it has happened. I am saying it will happen.

In a final some lowly paid touchie will get paid off to turn a blind eye to a player with a foot over the touchline, or disallow a try from a valid pass called as forward, or ignore a push in the back resulting in a try instead of a penalty

Comment

that has happened already !!!
              (well not sure about the touchie getting paid) but the rest.
              The Internet is a place for posting silly things
              Try and be serious and you will look stupid
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                yep it still hurts too!
                yeah all the way up to my throat..

Comment

Really?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1111116296150

As a player Jack Gibson was a fearfully tough prop whose limited skills were more than compensated by his willingness in the tough stuff. He also enjoyed the underground gambling houses with their baccarat and two-up games that were protected by bribed police.

It was also Jack who brought the distressing news to the 1963 Wests dressing room just before the grand final kickoff against St George that the game was rigged.

Gibson told Wests that the referee Darcy Lawler had bet 600 pounds on St George. Saints won the highly controversial match 8-3.
                  That is heresay.

Comment

Considering the referees are a vital part of the game, it's disappointing to say that there is not one I would call competent.

Yes, it's easy to miss things during play but considering how far the game has come technology-wise and how many idiots in pink there are on-field and upstairs, there's very little excuse for such poor refereeing.

Comment

Working...
                    X