Spam epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

That's what it'll be... some guy's found a bug in vBulletin that they want to exploit for their own purposes, they've created a bot that exploits it and the bot will go around smashing vBulletin forums willy nilly.

Solution?
    1. Update to the latest security patches rather than updating every 10 years.
    2. Ban the accounts.
    3. Use stronger, bot-proof security measures (e.g. a good captcha). Somebody's automated the rego procedures successfully!
    4. Since vBulletin is a paid product, get some advice. Is this just spam or are there some security risks associated with it? For all we know, they've just scraped all of our e-mail addresses and stuff.
    I'm getting ****ing sick of the spam. vBulletin v5, which this site is built on, ships with stopforumspam

It is free.

Can a mod or admin please respond to this thread or by PM to tell me why it is not installed and activated?

If the answer is time - I'm prepared to contribute my 30 years of IT experience with telcos and banks to help get it done.

(also - the thread should be moved to Forum Suggestions IMO)
    Originally posted by jism
    I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Yep.

Surely it can't be that hard.

FFS its unbearable.

Comment

The mods and Admins are banning the bots & deleting threads every day.

Understand that we have no control over the actual website though in regards to updating the software or uploading patches.

As frustrating as it is for you guys to read it and see it clog up the main page every day it's even more frustrating for us who continually have to delete and ban them every single day. Trust me it isn't fun.

Comment

More research;

VB5 also supports a google anti-spam product "Recaptcha v2"

If either of these are too hard, t is also possible to (trivially easy) configure a custom profile attribute which is mandatory at registration and with a list of possible values.
          The attribute is basically "write the number 11 in plain text" and the possible values are Eleven, eleven, ELEVEN,...

I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
            The mods and Admins are banning the bots & deleting threads every day.

Understand that we have no control over the actual website though in regards to updating the software or uploading patches.

As frustrating as it is for you guys to read it and see it clog up the main page every day it's even more frustrating for us who continually have to delete and ban them every single day. Trust me it isn't fun.
            R6 - no offence, but you are wasting your time, you are battling a spambot. The process needs to be automated. Surely configuration of Plugins and VB5 attributes are able to be done?

Comment

Oh - and if you can't implement something as simple as anti-spam its time to find a new hosting provider, or DIY.

Comment

You're missing the point, As admins & mods we have no control over the running of the website.

I don't have the login for the CP, host server or Vb account. Not one of us does.

So yes it's an easy and simple fix, so is boiling an egg but if you've got no water it becomes impossible.

Comment

So you are saying "we" don't even have admin access to VB5 for thechookpen?

Are we using vBulletin Connect (possibly vBulletin Cloud)? I'd be staggered if there is no anti-spam capability for that implementation.

Edit: Connect supports Captcha.
                  Last edited by Flipper Hands; 09-10-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

The only person with admin access to VB5 for thechookpen is Chris.

The rest of us don't have permission.

As R6 said it is more frustrating for us as we have to deal with the spam.

Comment

Right, why can't Chris delegate that access? Or better yet fix the problem himself.
                      This is a simple configuration effort.

Sorry for my persistence, but manual deletion of spam from a spambot is soul destroying, for us, and you blokes as well.

Comment

Bump. As I didn't get an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper Hands View Post
                          So you are saying "we" don't even have admin access to VB5 for thechookpen?

Are we using vBulletin Connect (possibly vBulletin Cloud)? I'd be staggered if there is no anti-spam capability for that implementation.

Edit: Connect supports Captcha.
                          Only R2-D2 & C-3PO have access to VB5 over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Someone speaking my language.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

haha. One of your better ones. Over

FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper Hands View Post
                                Bump. As I didn't get an answer.
                                What more can we tell you? Chris is the only one that can make the kind of changes you suggest. Perhaps you should PM him.

Comment

Working...
                                X