How do we address our error rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we address our error rate?

This is the big question and one which has been an obstacle to our team advancing to at least 3 grand finals. What can be done about it? We haven’t been able to get on top of it for years now and it’s killing us. What to do?
    “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Originally posted by roosterchook View Post
    This is the big question and one which has been an obstacle to our team advancing to at least 3 grand finals. What can be done about it? We haven’t been able to get on top of it for years now and it’s killing us. What to do?
    Solution...recruit players who don't make simple errors. Cowboys have plenty of them.

These days, defenders aim their tackling arm at the ball, top or bottom of the ball above or below the attacker's arm.

Hit it hard enough and most of the time it will come loose.

Kane Linnett, and Ethan Lowe used to play for us.
    Beaten by the 'Easts rejects' again!
    Baaah!

Comment

Robbo accepted the errors in recent post-match interview. There lies the answer.

My observation is the players are a bit like deer in headlights when the pressure is on. That tells me they are not doing enough skills training under fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
        Robbo accepted the errors in recent post-match interview. There lies the answer.
        Just protecting our players from ridicule by the media and society.

He could always scream at the players ...and slam them up against walls [or not]...although that tactic can often have negative results...see alleged super spray at Panthers resulting in star reportedly leaving soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

Solution...recruit players who don't make simple errors. Cowboys have plenty of them.

These days, defenders aim their tackling arm at the ball, top or bottom of the ball above or below the attacker's arm.

Hit it hard enough and most of the time it will come loose.

Kane Linnett, and Ethan Lowe used to play for us.
          Beaten by the 'Easts rejects' again!
          Baaah!
          I have to say Ethan Lowe was outstanding again last night, begrudgingly.

Thought we contained Taumalolo well though...god help us if we didn't.

Comment

My observation is the players are a bit like deer in headlights when the pressure is on. That tells me they are not doing enough skills training under fatigue.
            I think that training under fatigue and pressure is the key Dice. It's down to how we prepare and are coached to a fair extent.

Comment

Get rid of repeat offenders. SKD is gone now Fergo needs to go. Wingers have the easiest job in the game. Most wouldn't make 10 tackles a match. This means that the small stuff they do needs to be done right. From early in his career Fergo has been error ridden.

Comment

I agree a good start would be to demote repeat offenders.
                “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

not a big fan of the whole defend the errors mantra that Robbo runs with, the whole squad has been brainwashed that making errors is ok as long as the defense holds up, perhaps working to cut out the errors might be a better strategy.

no team is going to be perfect and errors will always happen, but accepting a high error rate just because we usually have a solid defense is just plain stupid, and it finally caught up with us last night.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

not a big fan of the whole defend the errors mantra that Robbo runs with, the whole squad has been brainwashed that making errors is ok as long as the defense holds up, perhaps working to cut out the errors might be a better strategy.

no team is going to be perfect and errors will always happen, but accepting a high error rate just because we usually have a solid defense is just plain stupid, and it finally caught up with us last night.
                    Problem is they are not defending these errors - they had the defence in 2013-2015 that could - our attack during that period was also significantly better as per our for and against differential shows - when not a high scoring team you can make it hard for yourself by conceding soft points - we got away with that most of the year - cannot be having the same mindset next year- need to improve in both attack and defence and all that goes into those areas- set completions/low error and penalty counts/ kicking game/taking the opportunities/resilience in defence etc

2013- 640 for and 325 against + 315
                    2014- 615 for and 385 against + 230
                    2015- 591 for and 300 against + 291

2016 - 443 for and 576 against - 133

2017 - 500 for and 428 against + 72

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Problem is they are not defending these errors - they had the defence in 2013-2015 that could - our attack during that period was also significantly better as per our for and against differential shows - when not a high scoring team you can make it hard for yourself by conceding soft points - we got away with that most of the year - cannot be having the same mindset next year- need to improve in both attack and defence and all that goes into those areas- set completions/low error and penalty counts/ kicking game/taking the opportunities/resilience in defence etc

2013- 640 for and 325 against + 315
                      2014- 615 for and 385 against + 230
                      2015- 591 for and 300 against + 291

2016 - 443 for and 576 against - 133

2017 - 500 for and 428 against + 72
                      so that say we have to improve by up to 30% TO WIN A COMP .tHAT ALSO TELL ME WE HAD AWESOME DEFENCE 2015 BUT FINISHED THE YEAR JUST LIKE LAST SATURDAY- STUPIDLY .Our defence in 2013 was more vicious a bit like 2002
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

so that say we have to improve by up to 30% TO WIN A COMP .tHAT ALSO TELL ME WE HAD AWESOME DEFENCE 2015 BUT FINISHED THE YEAR JUST LIKE LAST SATURDAY- STUPIDLY .Our defence in 2013 was more vicious a bit like 2002
                        We have the best hitters in the comp in Nappa and JWH unfortunately they got penalised for hitting too hard and got "gun shy" , maybe the point of contact needs to focus more around the midriff than the head ??

Personally I am against errors and I understand that "high risk equals High reward " but our errors are not even close to this, errors should equate to consequences if that means demotion or extras after training or handing out Stubbies at full time ( alla JT ) then so be it .

Comment

The answer is simple, if you make stupid errors then you don't play first grade until you can prove that you have fixed the problem.This is a coaching issue.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure that the message to journalists in the presser is the same message the players get in the sheds.

We made the most errors of all teams this season. Without the best defence in the NRL to back that up, which we didn't have, it must be addressed.
                            Last edited by Waylander; 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

We're rebuilding...looking for the next Fittler, SBW, Mini, Maloney etc
                              ...also, shoulder charges have been banned...one of our best defensive weapons.

Funny how when we get good at something they ban it, eh?
                              We were also good at fielding bombs in the in-goal and scoring tries...so they basically banned that by introducing the "7 tackles".

Oh well, looks like we'll just have to go with chicken-wings, crushers, wrestles, flopping, monstering etc next season...like other teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X