Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those calling for Trent Robinson's head have got to be morons. Here's why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robbo made the same injury call with Pearce 2 years ago with his groin or calf injury coming into the Broncos prelim final, Hastings had filled the void very well, medical staff told Robbo Pearce could run in a straight line, the problem would be his lateral movement, Robbo was keen for Pearce to play, let the player make the call and lasted 15 minutes
    Bringer of Rain, Embrace the Hate, Freedom for All

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
      2013: Premiership on debut
      2014: Minor Premiership
      2015: Minor Premiership
      2016: 15th
      2017: 2nd

Aside from the Storm, no other team has had such a sustained level of high achievement. That's 4 TOP FINISHES IN THE PAST 5 YEARS. And as i recall hearing a few hours after the game, only two other teams have won as many or more premierships than in the last 15 years.

Not forgetting the For and Against records that have fallen.

And importantly, when you think about Robbo, think about this. The Head Coach is first and foremost a mentor, psychiatrist and motivator. The technical components come into it of course, but they are secondary. Bennett and Bellamy have had success that has dwarfed every other coach primarily because of these factors.

To win a competition you need a coach who the players WANT TO PLAY FOR and someone who can create a tight knit unit and rally everyone around the cause. Robbo is that man, without any doubt.

And there isn't anyone else available that could come close.

The one thing that IS up for debate is our attack coaching. Statistics show some sembalance of the Bondi Wall still remain. We had a great defensive record in 2017 (3rd in the comp), but our attacking record is very ordinary (8th in the comp). Given Robbo's background as a defensive coach, perhaps this isn't such a surprise.

I'd suggest we might require a new Assistant coach for attack. That's where the evidence shows we need improvement.

We are an exceptionally lucky fanbase guys, and although i'm also personally disappointed in last night there is a lot to look forward to next year. Just think of how many teams would want kill for our backline for next year for christ's sake:

1 Teddy
      2 Two - Poo
      3 Mitchell
      4 Fingers
      5 Flash
      6 Keary
      7 Piss
      Sure Stuart was sacked as Uncle Nick thought Benny was coming but later reneged- Stuarts record is similar- our backline isn't as good as others for next year- who will be the other centre (Flash will need to play wing being the only reliable goal kicker)- Fergo?- Mitchell and Fergo are error prone and lazy in defence/ Toops can be good and ordinary in the same game/ Flash will be solid - so Tedesco will need to a lot in attack- Manu will need to have a big offseason and fix many things in his game as Robbo lost confidence with him despite playing him in the last comp game - round 26- To be considered for NRL- It was his first season though

Tedesco
      Toops
      Mitchell
      Fergo
      Flash

Sticky's record

2002- Premiership on Debut
      2003- Grand final
      2004 Minor Premiers and Grand final
      2005- 9th - missed the 8 by 2 points
      2006- 14th

Comment

Originally posted by The distributor View Post
        No one is saying Robbo is a bad coach but you can't just ignore the stupid mistakes each week and the fact that his final performance is poor considering that he arguably has the best playing group in the league.

Maybe it is time for someone else to have a go?

Would you rather win a lot of games, or have an error free team?

You know which team had the least amount of errors this year according to official statistics? THE WARRIORS!

The wooden spooners, the Knights, also did well with their error count finishing 5th best in the league. How do you think Knights fans are feeling about that right now?

We need to improve our error rate, no doubt, but those that keep crapping on about it need to have a good look at the overall context before flying off the handle.

And who else do you think could do a better job as Head Coach?

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Sure Stuart was sacked as Uncle Nick thought Benny was coming but later reneged- Stuarts record is similar- our backline isn't as good as others for next year- who will be the other centre (Flash will need to play wing being the only reliable goal kicker)- Fergo?- Mitchell and Fergo are error prone and lazy in defence/ Toops can be good and ordinary in the same game/ Flash will be solid - so Tedesco will need to a lot in attack- Manu will need to have a big offseason and fix many things in his game as Robbo lost confidence with him despite playing him in the last comp game - round 26- To be considered for NRL- It was his first season though

Tedesco
          Toops
          Mitchell
          Fergo
          Flash

Sticky's record

2002- Premiership on Debut
          2003- Grand final
          2004 Minor Premiers and Grand final
          2005- 9th - missed the 8 by 2 points
          2006- 14th
          I think he's got some major flaws, but i don't think Sticky is as bad a coach as everyone likes to make out.

The Sharks and the Eels front offices were absolute basket cases when he was with them.

Mate, we've got the talent in the backline no doubt about it. The key to them performing next year will be COMMUNICATION. Robbo needs to get them telepathic with each other in defence especially. Part of me thinks Fergo isn't up to the task mentally (i'm talking decision making) to be a center. Perhaps Flash is a better choice, albeit he's a VERY small lad to be playing center.

Comment

The popularity of Robbo will come at the detriment long term to this club.

No coach should be too popular.

Fear and hate can be massive motivators
            barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
              The popularity of Robbo will come at the detriment long term to this club.

No coach should be too popular.

Fear and hate can be massive motivators
              Who do you think would do a better job as head coach of the Roosters right now?

Comment

Gus with Freddy as assistant

Comment

Gus was lost to the coaching game when he realised he can just put crap on anybody in the game, and get payed for it. Hammers the blues, but I don't see his hand going up for the job.

gutless gus.

Comment

We both know that won't happen.

I'll rephrase the question : who that is realistically available could do a better job than Robbo right now.

Comment

We both know that won't happen.

I'll rephrase the question : who that is realistically available could do a better job than Robbo right now.
                      Be Robbo's 6th year as coach next year overtaking Sticky as the longest serving consecutive Roosters coach - next year will be a tougher year than this one given that other teams are revamping their squads and I suggest we wont get away with so many tight wins as we did this year either-teams will have simple game plans against us and wait for the Roosters to implode and or lose concentration.

Next year NRL teams can have 30 NRL Players and 6 Development players- we have lost 4 of the NRL squad for next year in SKD(mid season)/Watson/Guerra/Evans- so they will need to be replaced(some others in this years 25 have not been re-signed too) - be interesting to see what the NRL squad will look like in 2018 as next year Teams can have a squad of 30 players and 6 Development players under the cap.

What has to change next year is having the players play as a team and play 80 minutes week in and week out - it's not Rocket science winning games - high set completions/ low errors and penalties/resilient defence including defending errors/ good kicking and kick chase game and taking your opportunities- Maybe Robbo should get in a sport psychologist to ascertain why they drop off in games and make such schoolboy mistakes with and without the ball.

I hope Robbo can get them to play 80 minutes week in and week out but he hasn't so far and that's the question - can he do this with a weaker squad in 2018 and with a number of players who cannot get any better as well - players he will bring into the squad in 2018 not only have to be NRL ready they also have to be able to put pressure on other players in the squad for their position. - Basically most players in the 17 are not under pressure for their spots which they need to be - this may reduce the number of errors players make and the lack of concentration for the full 80 minutes if they were.

Geoff Toovey/Des Hasler/Laurie Daley would be options if a change is made.
                      Last edited by King Salvo; 09-25-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I suggested the following when we first appointed our new coach last time:

Head Coach: JT
                        Assistant: Player management and communications - Robbo.

Still prefer it...JT has a great footy brain is a master tactician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

So you believe Jason Taylor should now be installed as head coach?

I think you've got it around the wrong way personally - the player manager is always the head coach with the assistants as the key tactician support.

The tactical gurus - such as Brian Smith, Hasler, Jason Taylor etc - have always been inferior to the player management gurus - such as Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson - in my opinion.

Comment

Im choking ...JT the guy is a fool we had great attack until he came back .
                            Im good for Robbo for next year >THE MAJOR bloke I would get is Dean Pay as assistant give him a year and let Robbo go to froggy land which is his intention anyway.Let Dean Pay take over no one will drop a ball again because he would belt the crap out of them.
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

That is the important constructive question......
                              Realistically Robbo has one more shot.....
                              So the constructive question rather than deal with speculation is who takes over in 2019 IF he fails?

I would take Dean Pay with Tooves as an assistant
                              barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Bit much expecting James Tedesco to coach the side and play fullback.

Comment

Working...
                                X