Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roosters depth in 2018- not as good as people may think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters depth in 2018- not as good as people may think?

With the dust settled on 2017 and looking forward - We will have possibly 15 of the 17 players that played in the prelim final available in 2018- To add to those 15 (if we don't lose any of them if Cronk signs) is Tedesco/Manu and possibly Cronk - meaning we will have at least 18 players of NRL standard to be part of the 36 NRL Squad - 30 NRL players and 6 development players.

By looking at whom they have on contract for 2018 there is a lack of depth in a range of positions that will need to be filled by players with little NRL experience or none at all - Front row/Middle forward and Backs(centres especially) stand out as depth issues. Goal Kicking is also a problem unless Flash plays as he is far and away the best kicker in the club- will need to play either wing or centre one has to say in 2018 for this important role.

Bookies may have the Chooks as a premiership contender in 2018 as many on here also suggest -Although the worry is the lack of depth in a range of positions if injuries occurs.

What is the Roster for 2018 - 30 NRL players and 6 development by position or is the Roster still to be finalised - only a possible Cronk singing maybe holding this up but at least 35 of the roster would be known - 36 if no Cronk.
    Last edited by King Salvo; 10-25-2017, 03:31 AM.

Front Row - JWH, Napa, Tetevano, Collins, Eloni
    Backrow - Cordner, Aubo, Liu, Matterson, Smith, Brendan Santi (?), Butcher, SST

We really are light on in depth. I'm still hoping the club somehow works to get another big forward. An injury in the front row in particular and we're in major trouble.
    Maybe if Pearce or Keary go, that money will be put to another forward. Stupid business if they're just chasing Cronk and not addressing this depth.....

Comment

Originally posted by rwbfl View Post
      Front Row - JWH, Napa, Tetevano, Collins, Eloni
      Backrow - Cordner, Aubo, Liu, Matterson, Smith, Brendan Santi (?), Butcher, SST

We really are light on in depth. I'm still hoping the club somehow works to get another big forward. An injury in the front row in particular and we're in major trouble.
      Maybe if Pearce or Keary go, that money will be put to another forward. Stupid business if they're just chasing Cronk and not addressing this depth.....
      Unfortunantly I don't think there wasn't much available at the end of the season as far as decent props were concerned Graham and Tagatese from memory.

Comment

Sure, if we have injuries it will be tough. Same goes for every team.
        But if we don't, we are a serious contender, with or without Cronk.
        Plus it's possible that Collins, Eloni (everyone's favourite garbo) Butcher and Radley could step up to the plate. That gives us a bit of depth.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
          Sure, if we have injuries it will be tough. Same goes for every team.
          But if we don't, we are a serious contender, with or without Cronk.
          Plus it's possible that Collins, Eloni (everyone's favourite garbo) Butcher and Radley could step up to the plate. That gives us a bit of depth.
          I agree that our depth is probably no better or worse than everyone else, and all clubs are using extra cap space to upgrade their better players as their market value is increasing. 1x experiened pig is all we need. Having Aubbo in the centres didn't really hurt us, but having Aubo and Matto at the same time did. Flash gives us anither backline player to cover injuries. Buy you GF tickets now!

Comment

Zero depth in forwards. If one guy goes down we are in trouble.

Comment

Don’t need depth when we have Lindsay ‘Mullet Man’ Collins and future immortal Mitchell Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by roostersrule2 View Post
                Don’t need depth when we have Lindsay ‘Mullet Man’ Collins and future immortal Mitchell Paul.
                I have seen Mitchell Paul in action. He is the future of footy.

Could be the second rugby league god named as Stapo was the first.
                Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

Originally posted by Parkway_Drive View Post

I have seen Mitchell Paul in action. He is the future of footy.

Could be the second rugby league god named as Stapo was the first.
                  I’ve heard the only way to watch him in action is using solar eclipse glasses.

His future is that bright.

Comment

It does appear we will have massive depth in the halves though if all this media talk can be believed!!

Comment

I don’t think anyone thinks our depth is good. We will need a lot of luck with injuries.

Comment

Our lower grades have been pretty good for the past few years.

There must be something coming through.
                        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                          I don’t think anyone thinks our depth is good. We will need a lot of luck with injuries.
                          Same for all clubs these days.
                          Who can afford first grade back up halves under the current salary cap?

Having said that, we ain't got a recent example.
                          Last time our experienced playmaker thought he knew best off-field, we'd just let the wrong half go.
                          He could kick goals and all.............

Salary cap is poorly designed and applied, especially when the controllong body is still giving selected Sydney clubs financial help.

Comment

What do people expect, a squad of 25 rep players?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronterooster View Post
                              What do people expect, a squad of 25 rep players?
                              bronco pty ltd followers do, all the time...............when they ain't following vfl, soccer of ironman events......................................

Comment

Working...
                              X