D.T. Article about Pearce at Lydon's request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.T. Article about Pearce at Lydon's request

Mitchell Pearce wants to explore opportunities with other clubs following Roosters pursuit of Cooper Cronk

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-large, The Daily Telegraph

AN angry Mitchell Pearce has told Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson he wants to explore opportunities at rival NRL clubs in anticipation of the Cooper Cronk signing.

The 238-game halfback is under contract for another two seasons at Bondi Junction but privately feels let down by the club’s decision to secure the Kangaroos halfback in a deal that will be announced next week.

The Daily Telegraph understands Cronk will fly to Sydney after the Test match against England on Friday night before a formal announcement early next week.

Pearce did not return text messages on Wednesday. He is preparing for a holiday in the United States next week before returning home to sort out his future.

As reported in The Sunday Telegraph, Manly hope to partner Pearce in the halves with their captain, Daly Cherry-Evans, which would allow Blake Green to accept a long-term deal with the Warriors. The Roosters decision to chase Cooper Cronk has put Pearce’s future in the spotlight.
    He has spoken to Robinson twice in recent days about what Cronk’s signing will mean.

“He’s very upset,” said one of Pearce’s closest associates.

“He loves the Roosters and always wanted to be a one-club player.

“Yet he feels that, for everything the club has done for him, he deserves better for a player who has been there 10 years and played nearly 240 games.”

A number of clubs, including the Manly Sea Eagles, the Cronulla Sharks and the Newcastle Knights are closely monitoring the situation.

It is a delicate position because Pearce has not yet been given permission by the Roosters to negotiate elsewhere.

Officially he and his manager Steve Gillis can’t talk to rival clubs while his contract has two years to run at Bondi Junction.

Yet Roosters insiders concede it probably only ‘a 50-50’ chance that he will stay.

This despite Roosters supremo Nick Politis telling The Sunday Telegraph he would not release Pearce. Pearce has been with the Roosters since 2007.
    “I want Mitchell to play here until he’s 35,” Politis said.

That position appears to be softening.

Why keep a player on $800,000-a-season who doesn’t want to be there?

The bonus for Pearce is that rival clubs will more than match the money he is on at the Roosters.

Manly coach Trent Barrett is keen to allow five-eighth Green the opportunity to take up a multimillion-dollar long-term offer from the New Zealand Warriors but can’t make a decision until he gets an answer on Pearce.

While Pearce’s future is in doubt, the Roosters have confirmed Cronk’s inevitable signing will not affect either Boyd Cordner or Jake Friend as co-captains.
    SUPER DRAGON!

He feels "let down"?????????????????????????????

Welcome to my world , pearcey.;

Comment

I'm holding my water until he leaves the club. I've been burnt before with promises of paradise, only to get caught in a Vagina dentata.
      SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs , and put down to a choice of two you would have to choose Cronk over Pearse. Management have bitten a big bullet here and good on them. One more bullet to bite is releasing Friend, but I don't know if they will be able to handle that one in the same sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
          You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs , .
          And you can't make a puppy without roo............................................ sorry, that'd be low even by my standards.

Comment

Working...
          X