Cords on side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cords on side.

ROOSTERS captain Boyd Cordner has endorsed his club’s pursuit of Cooper Cronk, with the star halfback thought to be inching closer to a two-year deal with the Tricolours.

According to some reports, Cronk is just a matter of days away from inking a deal with his second NRL club after finishing his Storm career on the high of a grand final victory earlier this month.

While Cronk maintained his silence on his future, refusing requests to speak to journalists after the Kangaroos’ win over England, Cordner bravely fronted the microphones to talk about an issue that could potentially drive one of his best friends out of his club.

Speculation has ramped up in recent days linking Mitchell Pearce to the exit door should Cronk arrive to take his No.7 jersey, with Manly and Newcastle at the head of the queue to give him a new home if he’s released from his contract.

That would be a huge disappointment to Cordner, who believes the two star playmakers could work together in the same team, but he made it clear that no matter what Pearce did, he would be there to support him
    “What’s happening, is happening,” Cordner said. “You’ve got to face it and that’s reality, that’s what happens in football.

“At the end of the day it’s a business, Pearcey’s one of my best friends, I’ll support him 100 per cent of the way and like I said, it’s all speculation at the moment, there’s nothing been set in stone or anything, that’s as far as I know and I can’t comment any further than that.”

Pushed on his preferred playmaker set up if Cronk was thrown into the mix, Cordner said a three-pronged attack that also involved current five-eighth Luke Keary could be “a force” to be reckoned with.

“If it does happen and there can be a way to have all three halves playing at the same team I think, you know, if you can make it work then what a force,” he said.

“But it’s a long way away and nothing’s been set in stone, so I’m not going to comment any further on it.”
    Cordner admitted he had spoken to Pearce “a couple of times” since news of Cronk’s likely destination broke last week.

However, despite revealing he supported a move for his club to recruit Cronk, Cordner said he had not broached the subject with his Kangaroos teammate since they had come into camp.

“If a player like Cooper Cronk comes onto the market and you can get him for a good deal I think you’d be silly not to look into it,” Cordner said.

“If it does end up happening, or to be true, you’re going to benefit from a player like Cooper Cronk coming to your club, there’s no doubt about it.

“I haven’t chatted to Cooper, I’ve shown him the respect and given him space. He’s a grown man and I’m sure he’s looking after himself at the moment.

“He’s got a million questions coming at him, so I’ll just give him his space.”

Surely they had a quiet chat between teammates

Probably why Burgess targeted him, ha go Souffs
    Roosters For Ever

Comment

This line stands out for me.

“If a player like Cooper Cronk comes onto the market and you can get him for a good deal I think you’d be silly not to look into it,” Cordner said.

Comment

i hope Mitchell comes around to seeing playing at 9 as the best chance he has of winning the comp next year.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
          i hope Mitchell comes around to seeing playing at 9 as the best chance he has of winning the comp next year.
          I hope so too as I think if he has any hope of a further Rep career it's going to be at 9 not 7.. His Rep career at 7 is done and dusted at 28 years of age, he still has another 6 to 7 odd years left in him in 1st grade with no chance of more other than going to 9.

Comment

And it's not as if number 9 isn't important.
            Cam Smith won the Dally M as a number 9 last year.

Comment

i want to see ju ju in the centres, he has speed defence and determination

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                i want to see ju ju in the centres, he has speed defence and determination
                I rather see Latrell and Manu in the centres to be honest man.
                Originally posted by King Salvo 'Tedesco and Woods will be more than likely Dogs signings but both will give Tigers last shot - we are not in the race anymore'

Comment

Kinda confirms it's actually happening though 'ay? Like Cords isn't gonna discuss it if it's just BS rumours.

Sigh... why do we need Gronk? I really don't like Gronk and I think he's highly over-rated as a result of having been able to play for stacked teams throughout his whole career (i.e. teams that are expected to win).

Comment

He’s hardly going to say anything else. The two are currently in camp together. Such fluff in the media right now. Desperate for stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                      He’s hardly going to say anything else. The two are currently in camp together. Such fluff in the media right now. Desperate for stories.
                      Disagree.
                      think this is a well thought out response from cords. Would not surprise me if cords played a roll in stating as capt at season’s end that things need to change at easts. I noticed he walked from field immediately following the siren vs Cowboys. Losses hurt champions and this loss hurt cords.

i want cords as sole capt because of his leadership qualities. Sometimes leaders need to make tough decisions
                      Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Cords is towing the club line I suggest - he wouldn't come out and say this signing will be bad for the team and morale though which it sounds like it maybe. Apparently a sizeable number of members/ fans have contacted the club to voice their disproval in signing Cronk-some influential ones too
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 10-29-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                          Kinda confirms it's actually happening though 'ay? Like Cords isn't gonna discuss it if it's just BS rumours.

Sigh... why do we need Gronk? I really don't like Gronk and I think he's highly over-rated as a result of having been able to play for stacked teams throughout his whole career (i.e. teams that are expected to win).
                          No need to sign him - they are saying it will be 1 million a season - approx 1/9th of the cap- they have 12 players off contract in 2018- become free agents on November 1st - able to field offers from other teams

Comment

Originally posted by The Axe View Post

Disagree.
                            think this is a well thought out response from cords. Would not surprise me if cords played a roll in stating as capt at season’s end that things need to change at easts. I noticed he walked from field immediately following the siren vs Cowboys. Losses hurt champions and this loss hurt cords.

i want cords as sole capt because of his leadership qualities. Sometimes leaders need to make tough decisions
                            so when Cords comes off he captains the team from the sideline??

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                              so when Cords comes off he captains the team from the sideline??
                              lol.
                              Even though I pine for the days before the inter-change bench, I think we'd survive 9 or 10 minutes without Cordner.

Especially if we sign a halfback.

Comment

Working...
                              X