Brad Fittler should be the next immortal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Fittler should be the next immortal

Todd Greenberg has said that the NRL will announce the ninth immortal this year. If gossip is anything to go by, some are saying that Lockyer will get the gig. I think it should be Freddy.

Their record is pretty similar, played a lot of games for club, state and country and were often on the winning side.

For me, Freddy was a more damaging runner of the ball and was hands down a better defender.

I don't believe that Locky, great player, would have been so great in an ordinary team. I don't think if he'd come to the roosters when Freddy did he could have turned things around like Freddy.

Thoughts?

Freddy is streets ahead of Lockyer, who I always thought was treated very kindly by the commentators.

Comment

Freddy is ahead of lockyer every day of the week.. problem is that his persona on tv etc has turned him into abit of a clown.. always being laughed at.. i think that has hurt him in regards to people remembering just how great he was... all the while Locky and Thurston etc are treaated with respect all the time.
      My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
      My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

No man of the match awards for Freddy in origin or grand finals probably go against him when talking about the greats.

I think guys like kenny, meninga, sterlo, Mortimer, Lazarus should be mentioned before Lockyer though.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
          Todd Greenberg has said that the NRL will announce the ninth immortal this year. If gossip is anything to go by, some are saying that Lockyer will get the gig. I think it should be Freddy.

Their record is pretty similar, played a lot of games for club, state and country and were often on the winning side.

For me, Freddy was a more damaging runner of the ball and was hands down a better defender.

I don't believe that Locky, great player, would have been so great in an ordinary team. I don't think if he'd come to the roosters when Freddy did he could have turned things around like Freddy.

Thoughts?
          If Lockyer had of played for the Roosters & Freddy for the Broncos you would rate Lockyer higher than Freddy.
          Different sort of players IMO.
          I think they were both pretty good in there own way.

Comment

Can’t see Freddy ever becoming an immortal after his hallway dump; in conjunction with his comedic relief role in the commentary.

Comment

Mal Meninga or Freddy for mine with Mal probably getting it.... Damn Meninga was devestating in full flight and a great goal kicker to boot.

Comment

It has to be Norm "Sticks" Provan for the next immortal- has a playing record no one will match as well as being captain coach for 4 of the 10 premierships he won - had success coaching both Parramatta and Cronulla later on too. 68% overall coaching record success too.

We must have had a gun side to turn him down though "He was graded by St George in 1950 after being turned down by Easts the prior year"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Provan
                Last edited by King Salvo; 03-05-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Nobody has mentioned Shane Whereat? He's the value pick.

(I just looked at his Wiki. He played 148 games!)
                  Last edited by Johnny Tobin; 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                    Nobody has mentioned Shane Whereat? He's the value pick.

(I just looked at his Wiki. He played 148 games!)
                    JT -73 games (35 Chooks and 38 Parra ) Scored 148 points - JT You might remember what was the name of the tennis player we signed in the late 80's I think it was?

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

JT -73 games (35 Chooks and 38 Parra ) Scored 148 points - JT You might remember what was the name of the tennis player we signed in the late 80's I think it was?
                      Rob McClusky. One game in 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by keggs View Post
                        Can’t see Freddy ever becoming an immortal after his hallway dump; in conjunction with his comedic relief role in the commentary.
                        Myles did the dump in the hall on the central coast.

Freddy locked himself of his room later in the 2009 season and was naked at the time, I think it was in Townsville.

One of Menninga, Proven or Coote should be the 9th Immortal. These are some of greatest of the greats from a largely forgotten era by those who matter well apart from Menninga who deserved to be looked at before the more modern day players for me.

Sterlo was pretty good too, probably slightly shades Kenny who is my all time fave non Rooster player.
                        Last edited by Parkway_Drive; 03-05-2018, 04:40 PM.
                        Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

You would think Meninga or Provan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                            No man of the match awards for Freddy in origin or grand finals probably go against him when talking about the greats.

I think guys like kenny, meninga, sterlo, Mortimer, Lazarus should be mentioned before Lockyer though.
                            Freddy was best on ground in the 2002 GF by a mile.

And yet the history books will say:

Freddy no CCMs
                            DCE one CCM

That's why MotM awards should be ignored.

Anyway Freddy was a much more complete player than Lockyer. Better runner, passer and defender (by a mile).

Maybe I'm just super biased but I don't see how Lockyer is ahead. He was great but Freddy was a genius.

Comment

I wouldnt begrudge Freddy becoming an immortal. One thing about Freddy that no one can deny is his passion for the game of Rugby League. He does so much good for the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X