Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roos split from the roosters

NRL split: Wyong Roos cut ties with Sydney Roosters

Richard Noone & Patrick Boddan, Exclusive, Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate
    March 1, 2018 4:37pm
    Subscriber only
    THE Wyong Rugby League Club Group’s board has voted to sever all ties with the Sydney Roosters in a bombshell decision that will send shockwaves through Central Coast rugby league.

The Coast’s largest registered club agreed to be the Roosters’ NRL feeder club in 2014 and has fielded a team in the Intrust Super Premiership — effectively the second grade of the NRL — since 2015.

The Wyong Roos were minor premiers of the competition last year and went into the grand final as red hot favourites but lost to Penrith in a heartbreaker. Eloni Vunakece stares down Penrith opposition in last year’s Intrust Super Premiership at Leichhardt Oval. Picture: Gregg Porteous
    The club’s board agreed in a majority vote to sever its five-year agreement with the Sydney NRL franchise at the end of the coming season, after four years.

The decision means it will also withdraw from the Intrust competition at the end of the 2018 season.

In a statement to members the board said the club’s philosophy remained simple: “Our club, our community, our commitment.”

“Our club consists of 55,000 members, our community is our lifeblood and always has been,” the statement read.

“Our departure from the NRL second grade competition will enable us to focus even more on our commitment to our community-based charity, the Roos Foundation, Wyong district junior and school rugby league development and junior sport in general.

“It will allow us to apply our resources towards the betterment of the Wyong Roos Senior Rugby League Operation, the Central Coast Rugby League Competition, the multitude of soccer and bowls players who depend on us and, most importantly, our members, the source of our resources.” The Wyong Roos want to funnel their investment into junior footy and other grassroots sports. Picture: CCDJRL
    THE DIVORCE: HOW IT PLAYED OUT

The Express Advocate understands the board had been split over the decision for the past two seasons with deep divisions between both camps.

Under the agreement, the Sydney Roosters paid Wyong a fixed amount at the start of each season, provided the bulk of the playing roster and paid or reimbursed Wyong for meals, travel and accommodation.

However Wyong Leagues had to recruit and pay the remaining players, provide six coaching and ancillary staff and cover the lion’s share of other costs to field a team in the Intrust competition. Wyong Roos picked up a large chunk of the tab for fielding a team in the NRL second grade competition. Picture: Wyong Roos Facebook
    The Express Advocate can also reveal the silvertails club from Sydney’s eastern suburbs even had the audacity to ask the Roos to change their name to the Wyong Roosters and adopt the tricolours’ playing strip in a major affront to the club’s proud history and the green and gold jersey which dates back to its origins in 1910.

Ultimately the board decided the investment — understood to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars — was not benefiting grassroots football or the development of other junior sports on the Coast, where the money could be better spent. Wyong captain Mitch Williams in action in the NSW Cup rugby league match against Illawarra Cutters at Morry Breen Oval.
    Of the team which lined up in the grand final against Penrith, 12 were contracted to the Roosters and five signed to the Roos of which just one, Mitch Williams, was a genuine Wyong juniors product with NRL aspirations.

The only other genuine Wyong junior was Luke Sharpe who had a brief stint with the West Tigers but was unable to secure a NRL contract despite playing well on the fringes.

THE FALLOUT: WHAT HAPPENS FROM HERE

The Roos will field teams in the Central Coast Division Rugby League, which the club was comprehensive minor premiers of last year.

Since its inception, many league fans have been cynical about the relationship not being a genuine NRL path way for local players.

However Wyong Leagues chairman Kevin Pearce said the relationship with the Sydney Roosters had been positive but the time had come to focus on grassroots development. Wyong Rugby League Club Group Chairman Kevin Pearce. Picture: supplied.
    “The amount of profit we’re extracting from the local community, we feel it’s better to reinvest that via the Roos Foundation and local sports,” Mr Pearce said.

The bombshell announcement comes ahead of the first round of the Intrust Super Premiership this weekend with Wyong squaring up against Cronulla feeder club the Newtown Jets at Morry Breen Oval on Saturday.

SPONSORSHIP THREAT: `STILL TWO YEARS TO RUN’

It will also cast a huge shadow over the future of the Sydney Roosters’ sponsorship of Central Coast Rugby League at a representative level, after the old Central Coast Centurions became an extension of the Roosters only last year.

The move, which saw our CRL Country Championship, ladies league tag, Harold Matthews and SG Ball squads adopt the moniker, including trading the traditional sky blue and yellow strip in for the tricolours made famous by the Eastern Suburbs club. Central Coast Centurions player Latrell Mitchell before the Coast changed their strip to the tricolours in the NSW Rugby League Harold Matthews Cup.
    Ironically, at the time of the announcement just over 12 months ago, then Rooster Connor Watson — a Central Coast boy who became one of the success stories of the partnership in its early stages — commended his club for the work they were doing on the Coast.

He suggested they had finally found the formula for success after many teams had attempted to tap into the region and failed in the past.

Despite this, Central Coast Senior Rugby League president Fred Hartup has no initial fears for the divisions relationship with the NRL outfit. Central Coast Rugby League president Fred Hartup (centre) and Sydney Roosters CEO Brian Canavan (right) were all smiles when the Roosters announced an affiliation agreement with Central Coast Rugby League in 2014.
    “Central Coast Rugby League has received no official notification from either Wyong or the Roosters but we don’t believe it’ll have any effect on our relationship whatsoever,” Mr Hartup said.

“I believe other clubs will be interested in partnering with them.

“They own Woy Woy Leagues and there are good facilities down there, The Entrance and Erina have both played at high level in the Ron Massey Cup — I think the Roosters will move on to another club.

“There are still two years to run on our partnership with the Roosters and I can’t see that being it.”

Comment has been sought from the Sydney Roosters.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...nymous&login=1

It never really made sense for Wyong to be playing at the state competition level, the Central Coast Roosters adding a senior reserve grade team to the existing junior grades makes the most sense - hopefully something can get done.

Comment

I feel like there's probably a bunch of other options for the club to choose from as far as teams to base our reserve grade side on, there has to be a ron massey level side somewhere that we can shove those 12 players into and make a nsw cup side.

Comment

They could use my back paddock as a home ground.
        As long as I get in for free.

Comment

its a lousy leagues club anyway, wouldnt go back 9in a hurry!

Comment

Who gives a **** about the leagues club????
            hows our local junior comp going atm????
            this was always about having a foundation to breed footballers for the future and we had a huge nursery to pick from.
            Inteally hope we don’t abandon our support of the area

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
              I feel like there's probably a bunch of other options for the club to choose from as far as teams to base our reserve grade side on, there has to be a ron massey level side somewhere that we can shove those 12 players into and make a nsw cup side.
              Yeah I am guessing we can stay in the Central Coast as usual, but sponsor a different regional footy team? Makes sense I guess... guessing the Roos got a place in a higher level comp but ultimately felt that they were losing their identity as a result of being the reserve-grade team for an NRL club.

I dunno if they woulda liked the drugs and shyte too? If I were some tradie who was top shyte in Wyong, I would hate to have some little brat from Brissie come along, punt me from a chance to play against NRL players, earn big $$$ to play park footy and then spend it on cocaine and shyte. I would hate playing with people like that and any other spoiled brat from the NRL squad who gets punted would punt a local player.

Anyway, I am sure we will move on. Is there an option of us just setting up our own club called the Roosters and coercing more talented players from the local comp to come over? Guessing we could do it for a couple of mil without damaging our bottomline.

Comment

why would the Roos really part way with the roosters. Is the arl boss beaty really pushing to grow the game to include a central coast team, or like rumoured last year that the knights were putting pressure on the roos to be affiliated with them no the roosters. it will be interesting to see where we can get another nsw cup team from to merge with. or do we just start our own up. could be a good coaching gig coming up maybe
                1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Why don’t we buy Souths and make them our feeder club? After all we do OWN them!

Comment

We should get even more support when we take our home games to Gosford now!

maybe take the blue bags back.

Comment

We won a premiership with Newtown as our feeder club - you could go and watch them on a saturday, too (which i still do btw)! I say we woo them back. Makes a lot more sense on a practical level for fans and players.
                      Last edited by ccfc bondi; 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Are there many fans in attendance when you go and watch Newtown on Saturdays?

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yeah I am guessing we can stay in the Central Coast as usual, but sponsor a different regional footy team? Makes sense I guess... guessing the Roos got a place in a higher level comp but ultimately felt that they were losing their identity as a result of being the reserve-grade team for an NRL club.

I dunno if they woulda liked the drugs and shyte too? If I were some tradie who was top shyte in Wyong, I would hate to have some little brat from Brissie come along, punt me from a chance to play against NRL players, earn big $$$ to play park footy and then spend it on cocaine and shyte. I would hate playing with people like that and any other spoiled brat from the NRL squad who gets punted would punt a local player.

Anyway, I am sure we will move on. Is there an option of us just setting up our own club called the Roosters and coercing more talented players from the local comp to come over? Guessing we could do it for a couple of mil without damaging our bottomline.
                          What planet are you on?

As a born and bred Central Coastie i can tell you with authority, most young tradies are up to their eyeballs in drug use - speed, 'eccys', weed, you name it.
                          If there happened to be any animosity against Nikorima, i'd purely be down to bogan jealousy about money.

Comment

There are 2 separate things here.
                            1 - the affiliation with Wyong Roos (a club) to play in the NSW cup.
                            2 - the association with the Central Coast JRLC (a district) which involes funing, clinics and junior rep involvlement.

By Wyong pulling out of the NSW cup agreement it doesn't mean that the relationship with the juniors will suffer, but there a couple of factors at play that may lead to a re-assessment of the relationship.

Out local junior league is going gangbusters at the mini and mod level especially, that is unless the colts stuff it all up
                            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Eyed Willy View Post
                              Who gives a **** about the leagues club????
                              hows our local junior comp going atm????
                              this was always about having a foundation to breed footballers for the future and we had a huge nursery to pick from.
                              Inteally hope we don’t abandon our support of the area
                              I know I'm bias, but I'm reading into this that they abandoned us.

Comment

Working...
                              X