Blake Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Ferguson

Ferguson Bins The Booze. Good to see some encouraging actions from him and hopefully it translates into good performances on the field which he is certainly capable of. Below is an article from 'The Australian'

Blake Ferguson is making a sacrifice for himself and his team.

“I am not drinking (alcohol) this whole year,” the Sydney Roosters winger told The Australian.

“I have been doing it since December last year. I wanted to sacrifice something. That’s something I do enjoy — I enjoy having a beer. You enjoy having a beer, heaps of people enjoy having a beer.

“I am willing to sacrifice a bit of enjoyment to make my team better and make myself better.”

Ferguson realises there will be those watching and waiting for him to fail. He knows there will be plenty of people, many cognisant of his chequered past, who question his ability to maintain sobriety for an entire year.

“I don’t really care,” he said.

“It’s something I believe in. I made a promise to myself. It doesn’t worry me. It’s not about what other people think — it’s about what I think of myself.

“If I am going to disappoint myself, that’s the worst thing you can do. It is about filling my own satisfaction and that’s what I am doing to satisfy myself this year.”

Ferguson’s commitment to stay off the booze comes with his career at the crossroads. The 27-year-old lost his Australian jersey at the end of last year and another incident on the drink, when he and teammate Josh Dugan made the errant decision to spend an afternoon at a pub only days before the final State of Origin game, meant the Roosters only handed him a one-year extension.

It means he is effectively playing for his future at club, state and national level. The opening few months of the season — the Roosters play the Wests Tigers in the first round on March 10 — will be crucial.

“I do want to get a bit of security,” he said.

“I have two kids so for me it is about building a future for them. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully by the end of April or something, there will be a bit of talk there.

“Until then, I am just happy to play footy. It’s very motivating. I have always been motivated to perform well whether it is contract time or not.

“I don’t mind it — I actually like it. But I would like to have the security as well for my children. That’s what it is all about — that’s why you play footy.

“I am looking forward to this year. The first two months I am really excited about. There are a few things there with NSW — I obviously want to get picked again for that. I’m going to enjoy the start of the year.”

Ferguson has been a mainstay of the NSW side and he spoke with freshly-minted Blues coach Brad Fittler on a handful of occasions when he first joined the Roosters.

Since then, their chats have been infrequent. Ferguson is hoping he starts with a clean slate.

“It’s not about sucking up to the coach,” he said.

“I know I want to play for NSW. I know how high I hold that jersey. For me, I just want to work hard, train hard, play footy. Everything should come after that.”

The same goes for regaining his Australian jersey.

“I don’t think I ever disappointed in the green and gold,” he said. “For me, I took it on the chin. I watched most of every game. For me, I took it hard in a way that I wanted to better myself. I went away and worked on myself mentally and physically.

“Hopefully I can come back this year playing some consistent footy. That’s what let me down.”

Originally posted by BenCumminsIsACheat View Post
    Ferguson Bins The Booze. Good to see some encouraging actions from him and hopefully it translates into good performances on the field which he is certainly capable of. Below is an article from 'The Australian'

Blake Ferguson is making a sacrifice for himself and his team.

“I am not drinking (alcohol) this whole year,” the Sydney Roosters winger told The Australian.

“I have been doing it since December last year. I wanted to sacrifice something. That’s something I do enjoy — I enjoy having a beer. You enjoy having a beer, heaps of people enjoy having a beer.

“I am willing to sacrifice a bit of enjoyment to make my team better and make myself better.”

Ferguson realises there will be those watching and waiting for him to fail. He knows there will be plenty of people, many cognisant of his chequered past, who question his ability to maintain sobriety for an entire year.

“I don’t really care,” he said.

“It’s something I believe in. I made a promise to myself. It doesn’t worry me. It’s not about what other people think — it’s about what I think of myself.

“If I am going to disappoint myself, that’s the worst thing you can do. It is about filling my own satisfaction and that’s what I am doing to satisfy myself this year.”

Ferguson’s commitment to stay off the booze comes with his career at the crossroads. The 27-year-old lost his Australian jersey at the end of last year and another incident on the drink, when he and teammate Josh Dugan made the errant decision to spend an afternoon at a pub only days before the final State of Origin game, meant the Roosters only handed him a one-year extension.

It means he is effectively playing for his future at club, state and national level. The opening few months of the season — the Roosters play the Wests Tigers in the first round on March 10 — will be crucial.

“I do want to get a bit of security,” he said.

“I have two kids so for me it is about building a future for them. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully by the end of April or something, there will be a bit of talk there.

“Until then, I am just happy to play footy. It’s very motivating. I have always been motivated to perform well whether it is contract time or not.

“I don’t mind it — I actually like it. But I would like to have the security as well for my children. That’s what it is all about — that’s why you play footy.

“I am looking forward to this year. The first two months I am really excited about. There are a few things there with NSW — I obviously want to get picked again for that. I’m going to enjoy the start of the year.”

Ferguson has been a mainstay of the NSW side and he spoke with freshly-minted Blues coach Brad Fittler on a handful of occasions when he first joined the Roosters.

Since then, their chats have been infrequent. Ferguson is hoping he starts with a clean slate.

“It’s not about sucking up to the coach,” he said.

“I know I want to play for NSW. I know how high I hold that jersey. For me, I just want to work hard, train hard, play footy. Everything should come after that.”

The same goes for regaining his Australian jersey.

“I don’t think I ever disappointed in the green and gold,” he said. “For me, I took it on the chin. I watched most of every game. For me, I took it hard in a way that I wanted to better myself. I went away and worked on myself mentally and physically.

“Hopefully I can come back this year playing some consistent footy. That’s what let me down.”
    Classic. This is a man who knows what he is talkin about, do you know what Im sayin?
    Every club needs a Fergo.

Comment

I want the monster that Fergo was in 2015 back man, especially from the final against the Broncos.

Hope he can back up his words with actions.
      Originally posted by King Salvo 'Tedesco and Woods will be more than likely Dogs signings but both will give Tigers last shot - we are not in the race anymore'

Comment

Sounds like assistant deputy vice captaincy material.

On a serious note, I reckon he's in for a big year. He's played with Cronk in the Aus team (albeit on the end of a red hot backline) and won the Aus team players player award. I rate him.

2017 stats are good in my opinion.
        APPEARANCES 22
        SCORING
        TRIES 11

ATTACK
        TRY ASSISTS 3
        LINEBREAKS 13
        TACKLE BREAKS 81

PASSING
        RECEIPTS 392
        DEFENCE
        TACKLES MADE 97
        MISSED TACKLES 33
        TACKLE EFFICIENCY Tackle Efficiency66.4%

RUNNING METRES
        AVG. RUNNING METERS 145.2
        TOTAL RUNNING METERS 3195
        Our back three should let us start off each set well.

A quick story from last season below if anyone interested.
        https://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...cdcb4d2c09747a
        You have cookies turned off To use this website, cookies must be enabled in your browser. To enable cookies, follow the instructions for your browser below. Facebook App: Open links in External Bro…
        Last edited by The Skeez; 03-04-2018, 12:31 PM. Reason: Link didn't work
        ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

What he is promising will not be easy.
          I wish him the very best of Irish.

Comment

Needs to just concentrate on his club footy and the rest as they say will take care of itself.

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I think cronk is going to bring 20% plus impovement in every member of the squad. Thats how high he is respected imo

Comment

He should also ban Mundine.

Comment

This will be his first season for a while that has had a proper offseason, no? I hope this will make a big difference.

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                    What he is promising will not be easy.
                    I wish him the very best of Irish.
                    Agreed. If it is his call and he is proud of it then it is great. However, IMO it is pretty extreme.

Oi and when was that second kid born?
                    Last edited by ism22; 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Fergo's job is to guard the sideline and never let anyone get past him on the outside.
                      The sooner he realises that the better.

Comment

Fergo is in for a big year. There will be plenty of love for him in here by seasons end.
                        FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                          Fergo's job is to guard the sideline and never let anyone get past him on the outside.
                          The sooner he realises that the better.
                          and prevent 40-20s lol.
                          Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post
                            Fergo is in for a big year. There will be plenty of love for him in here by seasons end.
                            Is this an intuition thing or you just happen to know the future?

I do hope your prediction or inside knowledge is on the money as a big improvement from Fergo means our right edge defense will be solid and he was an absolute weapon in attack before 2016.
                            Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

Originally posted by Parkway_Drive View Post

Is this an intuition thing or you just happen to know the future?

I do hope your prediction or inside knowledge is on the money as a big improvement from Fergo means our right edge defense will be solid and he was an absolute weapon in attack before 2016.
                              Nah mate. No intuition. No crystal ball. It’s a complete crock of...

I’m just hopeful but do have confidence in him to improve. There’s a very gifted natural footballer in there. He’s just got to let him out.
                              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                              X