Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right side..

Read this on NRL:

Matterson also said he has enjoyed the chance to link up with Cronk as part of a new-look Roosters right edge.

"Because I've been training in the back row I've had a lot to do with Cooper, Joey Manu and Fergo (Blake Ferguson). As a group we've been having a right edge mentality," he said.

"[Cronk] has brought clarity to the team, especially to the right edge. We've got a defensive structure that's kind of new but as a team at training it's worked. It's still early days but the likes of Joey Manu, his defence has improved dramatically, Fergo as well. Cooper has made a big impact on my defensive movements.

"He's really good at not engaging if he doesn't have to. Because if you engage into a tackle then you're taken out for the next play. So if they do hit the back runner and he holds up it's an easy three on two… Coops is doing his job by not taking himself out of the play to help the centre."

Now, none of them are renowned defenders. I am not convinced on Matterson just yet; Cronk goes alright for a halfback and the other two, well.. I now get the feeling that we just need to score more point down that side than we leak.
    Sydney Roosters back-rower Ryan Matterson is desperate to prove he warrants a starting back row spot as he looks to form a new right-edge combination with star recruit Cooper Cronk.
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Cooper usually stands about 5 metres off side when he's defending his own goal line. Be interesting to see if we get away with it as much as he did when he was wearing a purple jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
      Cooper usually stands about 5 metres off side when he's defending his own goal line. Be interesting to see if we get away with it as much as he did when he was wearing a purple jersey.
      Storm was the most penalised team in the comp last year, if he didn’t get away with it then,doubt he’ll have any luck with it here.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

Storm was the most penalised team in the comp last year, if he didn’t get away with it then,doubt he’ll have any luck with it here.
        Oh he got away with it alright. 100 penalties wouldn't have even been proportionate to how often he stood offside.

Nothing grinded my gears more as an opposition supporter than seeing him 5 metres off side shutting down every play we ran down his side. Twice as bad when it came to Origin level.

Now nothing will make me happier than watching him doing it back to the Storm and shutting down their every player when we play against them. A dish best served cold.

Comment

We are much better with Aubbo defending there than Matterson, who is a disaster next to Manu in defence.

Comment

We havnt had a plugger defender since Ricko retired .
            Radley has the right attitude and game to do so but wont have a permanent firsts spot yet .
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

In attack, I can see Cronk getting Matterson to run the same lines as Felise Kafusi did last season. Kafusi had an enormous season just running the one line pretty much and being used at the correct time. There is no reason why Matterson can't have a season like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
                In attack, I can see Cronk getting Matterson to run the same lines as Felise Kafusi did last season. Kafusi had an enormous season just running the one line pretty much and being used at the correct time. There is no reason why Matterson can't have a season like that.
                And Kevin Proctor before that
                ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Oh he got away with it alright. 100 penalties wouldn't have even been proportionate to how often he stood offside.

Nothing grinded my gears more as an opposition supporter than seeing him 5 metres off side shutting down every play we ran down his side. Twice as bad when it came to Origin level.

Now nothing will make me happier than watching him doing it back to the Storm and shutting down their every player when we play against them. A dish best served cold.
                  Can only hope, might help that we finally have somebody who can string a few words together and the refs respect.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                    Can only hope, might help that we finally have somebody who can string a few words together and the refs respect.
                    Friend is still captain however.

Comment

Working...
                    X