Leila MacKinnon's point of view on The Roosters & Carney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leila MacKinnon's point of view on The Roosters & Carney

Leila is a long time Roosters supporter. She features regularly on the NRL website.
    It's an interesting read for those interested. Leila makes good sense.

Roosters can't save Carney

I don't understand addiction or psychology and that's why I'm not going to add to the thousands of opinions that have been ventured about Todd Carney breaching a club alcohol ban last week.

Carney has admitted he has a problem with alcohol, and in February this year spoke about undergoing counselling and rehabilitation. I have no idea how hard he's been working at it, and I don't know how difficult it's been, and continues to be.

What I do know about alcoholism is that there is no easy solution. Those who are successful in tackling their addiction work at it for the rest of their lives, many of them with the encouragement and understanding of a group of fellow addicts. The Sydney Roosters can't save him.

Of course, a football club is more than just a business, and I have no doubt that the chairman, the board members, and many of the players will always help support Carney no matter what lies ahead.

But for the sake of the team, the fans, and the future of the club, those in charge have to decide whether or not Carney’s talents are worth the risks and the effort involved in dealing with a player with such a challenging problem.

The decision on whether to drop him can't be made out of fear of what effect it may have on him psychologically or financially. It doesn't matter what the club does; ultimately Todd will decide his own future.

The situation with Frank-Paul Nu'uausala and Nate Myles is much simpler. That two teammates, and presumably friends, of Todd Carney would go out drinking with him is baffling.

Everyone with an interest in NRL knows about his struggles with alcohol. Maybe his drinking buddies just don't appreciate the seriousness of the situation. Maybe they don't care about him.

And what of the rest of their teammates? Everyone on that team made a pact not to drink for two weeks. Captain Braith Anasta thought it might help them prepare for their next two games. If Nu'uausala and Myles didn't agree they should have said so at the time. Instead they treated their captain and their fellow players with disdain.

It would have been a breach of trust if they had snuck a quiet drink at home. What's worse, they went to the Golden Sheaf in Double Bay and the Courthouse Hotel in Darlinghurst - two of the most prominent pubs in the Eastern Suburbs.

Even without the cab driver blowing their cover, there's no question their big night out would have been exposed. They may as well have taken a bottle of vodka to training and told Anasta to jam his captaincy up his fundament.

That Nate Myles is leaving this year and joining the Titans makes no difference to me. For his own pride he should still be giving the Roosters 100 per cent. If I were a Titans player or supporter that's the kind of person I would want joining my team. If I were Nate Myles, that's the kind of person I would want to be.

Sure, it was only a few drinks, and no one broke any laws, but it's a question of loyalty. A team operates best when players love, trust and respect each other; when they know each other so well that they play on instinct, subconsciously aware of what any other team member will do at any time. When that happens their individual talents are lifted to another level; it's a kind of magic.

Nu'uausala and Myles are said to be remorseful and hopefully they can learn from what was a stupid mistake. If only Carney's situation were as easily solved.

He is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post

Leila is a long time Roosters supporter. She features regularly on the NRL website.
      Given that she's Gyngell's wife and he's a director on the Easts board...isn't her writing about this a conflict of interest to start with?

I'll read it, but it'll only be good sense if she's saying we should keep Carney and manage him.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
        He is gone.
        Good enough for me.

You have said a number of times that we hoped to get a premiership with him before he inevitably went off the rails. We came so close last year. With a decent referee performance who knows what could have been.

It's a terrible shame & I feel for him because he is obviously mentally unstable but NO-ONE is bigger than the Club.
        Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi-boy View Post
          I'll read it, but it'll only be good sense if she's saying we should keep Carney and manage him.
          Then you are going to be very disappointed.

Maybe you'll show your outrage by refusing to post here anymore.
          Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all.

Comment

So this is the board's decision, get her to tell us all?

Sheesh, why didn't the men step forward and tell us?

Anasta's alcohol ban was stupid, and of course was a disaster...well he got his no 6 job back as a result and got rid of Carney, so it wasn't all bad.

Comment

Bondi boy........maybe, just maybe, she could be writing a piece based on personal opinion....Or is she not allowed to have one???

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
              To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
              At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
              Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
              The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post

Roosters can't save Carney

Sure, it was only a few drinks, and no one broke any laws, but it's a question of loyalty. A team operates best when players love, trust and respect each other; when they know each other so well that they play on instinct, subconsciously aware of what any other team member will do at any time. When that happens their individual talents are lifted to another level; it's a kind of magic.

Nu'uausala and Myles are said to be remorseful and hopefully they can learn from what was a stupid mistake. If only Carney's situation were as easily solved.
                LOL

Myles was from the "leadership, love trust and respect each other" group and he virtually took Todd out drinking.

The only magic I've seen at the Roosters in the last few years was last year when Carney was fit.

'Loyalty'...bs, another 5 players reportedly broke the ban.

Comment

Very well written piece - I agree with everything she has said.

Nice to read a fellow female Rooster tragic's point of view on this issue. Even better when it happens to be the same as my own.

NC
                  Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Just another opinion-piece which is no more or less valid than mine or anyone else's.

My opinion is if Manly introduced stupid no-drinking rules, or pandered to the media sensationalism by severely punishing or sacking players each time they played up then Manly would be at the bottom of the ladder along with the Roosters.

Comment

Well, a good mate of mine was having a surf with gyngell last weekend and told him hes gone....dont know why he would tell him that, but I have no reason to not believe him

Comment

Of course he's gone, he was always gone once it was shown/decided Anasta is not a forward and had be no 6 on a permanent basis.

Comment

I don't think Gyngall has been on the board for quite some time. Happy to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Poppa Pump View Post
                            Then you are going to be very disappointed.

Maybe you'll show your outrage by refusing to post here anymore.
                            We wish!

Comment

Originally posted by supermario View Post
                              Bondi boy........maybe, just maybe, she could be writing a piece based on personal opinion....Or is she not allowed to have one???
                              She's allowed to have one...as are we.
                              Article just a little too 'convenient' for mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X