No announcement yet.

another big late season game another flop of an attacking performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have long thought our attack had a massive structural flaw with our second rowers being massive roadblocks, the ball gets to Cordner/Liu and rarely gets promoted from there.

for whatever reason we can't get a constant flow of ball to Latrell or Manu.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
      have long thought our attack had a massive structural flaw with our second rowers being massive roadblocks, the ball gets to Cordner/Liu and rarely gets promoted from there.

for whatever reason we can't get a constant flow of ball to Latrell or Manu.
      Our 2nd rowers used to be the strength of our attack, This has definitely changed with Cronk coming in...

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Our 2nd rowers used to be the strength of our attack, This has definitely changed with Cronk coming in...
        Guerra was a special for it in 2015.(Roadblocking) Jennings probably left because of it lol. I dont disagree that they used to be our strength of attack especially that double block play in 2013.Is Cronk having dreams of proctor/kaufusi in a storm style of play? Liu looked a bit off tonight.

Comment

not for a while now, we used to have that face ball that led to a tonne of tries for our second rowers, but that was figured out in 2014, its not just isolated to Cronk coming in

Comment

Originally posted by Maxy Walker View Post
            We need JWH. He gets the attack moving forward. Without him we lack the punch up the middle and were just drifting side to side hoping for something to happen.
            You have nailed it Mr Walker.
            Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
            South Sydney Forever

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

not for a while now, we used to have that face ball that led to a tonne of tries for our second rowers, but that was figured out in 2014, its not just isolated to Cronk coming in
              Boyd Cordner has gone from 8 linebreaks in 18 games last season to 2 in 18 this year. I don't know about it being figured out, it just became less prevalent.

We definitely play a very different style with our second rowers than what Cronk was used to at Melbourne.

Cordner has definitely improved his willingness to progress the ball in the last couple of months, Crichton will certainly be a bit of a changing of the guard.

Comment

Boyd Cordner has gone from 8 linebreaks in 18 games last season to 2 in 18 this year. I don't know about it being figured out, it just became less prevalent.

We definitely play a very different style with our second rowers than what Cronk was used to at Melbourne.

Cordner has definitely improved his willingness to progress the ball in the last couple of months, Crichton will certainly be a bit of a changing of the guard.
                For his 8 linebreaks last year, would be interesting to see the breakdown when they occurred. Whether they mainly occurred before his calf and knee problems that have afflicted him since last year's origin, I don't know?

This year he has played strong but looks to have lost half a yard of pace due to dodgy legs.
                Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
                South Sydney Forever

Comment

That was always a strong facet of Cronks game, his short passing on the edges, mainly to hard running edge backrowers ie Hoffman, Proctor, Kaufusi .. and that’s how he started this year, playing to Matterson only for Ryan to get injured
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by PRIDE View Post

For his 8 linebreaks last year, would be interesting to see the breakdown when they occurred. Whether they mainly occurred before his calf and knee problems that have afflicted him since last year's origin, I don't know?

This year he has played strong but looks to have lost half a yard of pace due to dodgy legs.
                    4 from his 12 games prior to injury, 4 in his 6 games post injury.

Runs or gets hit on too many overs lines, he's at his best when he's running unders and getting hit on the chest at pace. That's the line that keeps the defenders honest.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                      That was always a strong facet of Cronks game, his short passing on the edges, mainly to hard running edge backrowers ie Hoffman, Proctor, Kaufusi .. and that’s how he started this year, playing to Matterson only for Ryan to get injured
                      He plays differently with his second rowers though, he hits them and looks for variation in their play.

Pearce on the other hand would use his second rowers for variation in his play.

What I mean by that is take Proctor for example, Cooper Cronk would hit Proctor and either look for him to put on a wrap around play, run a decoy, float outside and spread the ball, earn a quick play the ball for the next play option or run as a genuine hole runner.

Where as you take Cordner for example, Mitchell Pearce would use Cordner purely as an option runner and he used his selective passing to decide which runner he would hit. Cordner's role was purely to run an overs or unders line, nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with Fletch that our second rowers definitely seem to be blockers in our attack at the moment but I think it can be linked to Cronk's arrival, because they haven't always been. This is just part of our attack needing to evolve and hopefully our attack as a side evolving because I definitely think the best sides in the comp have 2nd rowers who can distribute. We're just not there yet.

Comment

A perfect opportunity to win against adversity tonite with Sutton in charge. Sure we made it easy on the Broncos with mental weakness and poor tactics of our 2nd rowers stifling the back line play but I think I witnessed the 2018 premiers tonite being the Broncos. Qld lost the SOO but it will be a case of keeping the Qld dollar turning over and Sutton keeping the fans happy. It stinks !

Comment

I agree with Fletch that our second rowers definitely seem to be blockers in our attack at the moment but I think it can be linked to Cronk's arrival, because they haven't always been. This is just part of our attack needing to evolve and hopefully our attack as a side evolving because I definitely think the best sides in the comp have 2nd rowers who can distribute. We're just not there yet.
                          Would prefer to just hone the attack. I don’t know about evolving at this time of the year.

I am having flashbacks

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post

Would prefer to just hone the attack. I don’t know about evolving at this time of the year.

I am having flashbacks
                            I agree which is why I think Cronk needs to adapt his style to the players around him and start utilising Cordner's strengths more.

A full pre-season with Crichton, Cornder & Radley will do wonders next year but we need to go back to doing what we used to do best with out second rowers and that's hitting them on some strong line running.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
                              A perfect opportunity to win against adversity tonite with Sutton in charge.
                              It stinks !
                              2 things we gotta do to win the premiership.

1. Win at ANZ (let’s start next week against Parra)
                              2. Win with Sutton in charge as he will be GF ref

Comment

Working...
                              X