Areas for improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Areas for improvement

The boys put in a very tough effort, we completed well and won the big moments in the match. However, it was far from a convincing win.

Many of us also might feel like the game was there for the taking for the Sharks but they blew 3 trys and arguably the match.

So what does the team need to do in the prelim to win? Our defence was tested and IMO it needs to improve a lot further. I doubt Robbo was happy with a few defensive areas:

- on the line - our right side were back tracking in defence very quickly and gave up way too much space. The Sharks attacked us with pace down out right side and we didn't respond well to that. We'll need to fix that up;
    - on the inside - sharp inside balls exploited some of our lazy and tired defenders on the inside. Important that our defenders don't overly commit to outside attackers and our d needs to be more attentive to inside runners;
    - kicks behind the line - not sure what to make of this. But they sure did get us a few times (Lee and almost Lewis).

In attack:
    - I think Keary has lost some confidence and his running game isn't where it used to be;
    - Lattrell has been heavily contained; and
    - I think we could employ more variability in our attack rather than block plays. Surely we have some attacking tricks up our sleeves that we're ready to unleash.

Robbo and the team have a lot to look at over the next two weeks

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post
    The boys put in a very tough effort, we completed well and won the big moments in the match. However, it was far from a convincing win.

Many of us also might feel like the game was there for the taking for the Sharks but they blew 3 trys and arguably the match.

So what does the team need to do in the prelim to win? Our defence was tested and IMO it needs to improve a lot further. I doubt Robbo was happy with a few defensive areas:

- on the line - our right side were back tracking in defence very quickly and gave up way too much space. The Sharks attacked us with pace down out right side and we didn't respond well to that. We'll need to fix that up;
    - on the inside - sharp inside balls exploited some of our lazy and tired defenders on the inside. Important that our defenders don't overly commit to outside attackers and our d needs to be more attentive to inside runners;
    - kicks behind the line - not sure what to make of this. But they sure did get us a few times (Lee and almost Lewis).

In attack:
    - I think Keary has lost some confidence and his running game isn't where it used to be;
    - I think we could employ more variability in our attack rather than block plays. Surely we have some attacking tricks up our sleeves that we're ready to unleash.

Agreed for defence. We did quite well but there are things we need to look at over this fortnight
    im not sure about attack. It was a scrappy, grind of a game in which defence would be key to winning. Luke Keary does need to emulate the form he showed over our 8 game winning run. Penalty, possession and error wise, we were outstanding. If we were our usual selves in that regard, we would have probably lost. Shows we can clean it up. Well done
    EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post

In attack:

You're bloody joking

HOW can any top 4 team have a CONVINCING WIN over another top 4 team in a final???

reference Storm V Rabbits for a reality check

furthermore reference over 90% completions for the game & possibly 100% second half
      "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

They bombed 1 try, not 3. Latrell making an amazing try-saver is not a bombed try, and even if dugan caught that ball tupou hammered him. The only one they bombed was Feki in the corner.

Comment

Our attack needs some serious work, my biggest concern is that if another team can put more than 3 tries on us we don't have the attack to overcome it.

Really need to get that left edge clicking again. Cordner, Mitchell & Keary all playing well below their best at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
            Our attack needs some serious work, my biggest concern is that if another team can put more than 3 tries on us we don't have the attack to overcome it.

Really need to get that left edge clicking again. Cordner, Mitchell & Keary all playing well below their best at the moment.
            On the contrary, our team did exactly what they needed to do to win the match.

We scored 4 tries to 2 - that's enough attack. A couple of passes that led to these tries were spectacular. So the flair was there, it was just judiciously executed.

Teams in previous years would have done what you and a few others here seem to want - going for miracle plays in the face of rushing, constantly offside sharks defence. We would have pushed passes, handed over possession and field position and probably folded. Instead we were patient and professional. The Sharks were incredibly frustrated by this approach and in the end it was they who folded under pressure and dropped crucial passes.

If a reasonable 10 metres is enforced you will start seeing more spectacular attack from us. But I am encouraged that Robbo and the team seem to have finally worked out how to beat these cheating, spoiling grubs.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post

We scored 4 tries to 2 - that's enough attack. A couple of passes that led to these tries were spectacular. So the flair was there, it was just judiciously executed.

Teams in previous years would have done what you and a few others here seem to want - going for miracle plays in the face of rushing, constantly offside sharks defence. We would have pushed passes, handed over possession and field position and probably folded. Instead we were patient and professional. The Sharks were incredibly frustrated by this approach and in the end it was they who folded under pressure and dropped crucial passes.

If a reasonable 10 metres is enforced you will start seeing more spectacular attack from us. But I am encouraged that Robbo and the team seem to have finally worked out how to beat these cheating, spoiling grubs.
              Well said mate...hard to please if you didnt see the quality in that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkone View Post

You're bloody joking

HOW can any top 4 team have a CONVINCING WIN over another top 4 team in a final???

reference Storm V Rabbits for a reality check

furthermore reference over 90% completions for the game & possibly 100% second half
                Nice work there zooming in on TWO words and skipping through the key message of the post, mate.

Do you think Robbo's going to sit down over the next week thinking to himself "ahhhhhh that was a great performance. Let's just think of how good we were". Of course not. No where did I say I expected a convincing win.

The point of the post was to show that while we were good and won the big moments, there were clear areas of improvement. If we want to win the comp, looking at ways to improve even when we win is a must.

Have another read and calm your farm.
                Last edited by Chook Norris; 09-09-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

At first I didn't like the sliding retreating defence on our right side, but I think it was a bit of a masterstroke from Robbo so they couldn't go round us. Worked a treat in the end. Maybe not against other teams though.

Each battle from here on in is it's own (including last night of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                    They bombed 1 try, not 3. Latrell making an amazing try-saver is not a bombed try, and even if dugan caught that ball tupou hammered him. The only one they bombed was Feki in the corner.
                    I'd classify Lewis' as a bombed try. Latrell's pressure was great and influential but a typical player scores that 99% of the time, especially when the ball is 10cm away from being grounded. It was there for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post

Oh don't get me wrong, that performance against the Sharks was very good and extremely smart. We played the Sharks perfectly and executed to a high level. I'm not suggesting we lacked points last night, my comments extend beyond last night's performance.

It's not about going for miracle plays - it's about getting Keary running direct at the line again & getting Latrell some more 1 on 1's. They're not miracle plays, just good smart footy.

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post
                        At first I didn't like the sliding retreating defence on our right side, but I think it was a bit of a masterstroke from Robbo so they couldn't go round us. Worked a treat in the end. Maybe not against other teams though.

Each battle from here on in is it's own (including last night of course)
                        It's the way we've been defending for a while now on that right edge, wasn't specific to the Sharks.

I'm not a fan of it either. The Sharks had us shot quite a few times last night.

Comment

Opposition teams are stacking and sliding fast toward Latrell's left edge (Cord's side too) and Teddy is taking advantage by riding the right edge with Manu and Fergo. We may have to work some inside plays to free up that side. Also kicks over the top as Cronk and Keary performed to perfection first round against Newtown. I'm sure Radley could benefit through the same tactic.

I'm sure we'll keep some of those improvements and higher risk plays in the bag until needed in the big one.

Last night was the perfect rehearsal for the grand final. I know we're not there yet but we have put every foot right in that one in terms of attitude, control of the ball and can only 'hope' for the perfect game. Winning against a side so well versed in containment was as much as I can ask for.

Comment

I understand where you are all coming from but i feel you all might be a little wrong.our coach has tp prepare our team to a game plan to beat each individual side.cronulla like to grind and ware you down...we beat them on their own tactics.Defence comes first and you build the style of attack around it... Friends unlucky forward pass to Keary move was a planned move..almost came off.Jarrod for example played 30mins i guarantee you him and Radley will get longer minutes next game. Coach got bench right and the others lifted.Cronulla threw every thing at us..elboes head hunting laying down etc and came up with jack shit.... they will be swimming with harold holt this morning.Just get Maubs out of the way on the right and get Manu deep ball same for Latrell.
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Working...
                            X