Atherton has changed my Todd: mum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atherton has changed my Todd: mum

TODD Carney's mother says the exiled NRL star is already a better person just three months into his tree change in north Queensland.

Mother and son were reunited yesterday when Leanne visited Carney's new home in Atherton to watch her boy play for the Roosters in the local Cairns competition.

Carney was last year sacked by the Canberra Raiders for a series of alcohol-related incidents and is spending this season in Queensland after being deregistered by the NRL. The 23-year-old signed a one-season deal with Atherton and works full-time at the Barron Valley Hotel, which is owned by Roosters club president Mick Nasser.

His mother, who will soon move there to work with her son in the hotel restaurant, has stood by the former Country halfback and believes a dose of reality has changed her son for the better.

I think it's the best thing that could have happened for him,'' Leanne said. "He's never had much work time. It's made him aware of the hours people put into their jobs. "And they're very close here, from a family point of view. He's among good people. They don't judge him here. They just see him as Todd.''

Carney's Roosters were equal competition leaders going into last night's home game against Innisfail. The Goulburn product trains every day and lives at the 75-year-old pub where he works a 40-hour week.

It is a far cry from his old life in Canberra, where the trappings of his six-figure salary did him more harm than good. But he appears to be content with his new life in a country town that hums to the beat of its footy team.

"The work's been good,'' Carney said. "I've been enjoying getting behind the bar. I can even pull a decent beer now. I've been a bit shy, but my confidence is getting better.''

Leanne praised Nasser and his wife, Maree, for looking after her son. Nasser said Carney had been a hard-working, welcome addition to the club, the hotel and the town of Atherton.

"We've taken him under our wing,'' Nasser said. "Maree and I have six kids. He'd be number seven, I guess. The regulars like him. They keep saying how well mannered he is.''

The Carneys have always been a close-knit family, even more so after the death of Todd's father, Daryl, last year. Todd's sister Melinda was also in town for last night's game, while the third sibling Krysten visited Atherton last month.

"He had a bad start but the people have been good to him,'' said Leanne, who loves the warmth of north Queensland and will move there in August.

"Mick and Maree have been great and looked after him. The work has made Todd a better person. There's no better way to bring the shyness out than to put him behind the bar.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM.

Gag...

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
      Gag...

I think working the 40 hours a week and the rest of it would of been good for him.

Bringing him back down to earth.

Comment

I agree.

But I think he needs to be kept out of the media.

Comment

Hugo's at the Cross with Willie and Mini will change him back.
          Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

"The work's been good,'' Carney said. "I've been enjoying getting behind the bar. I can even pull a decent beer now. I've been a bit shy, but my confidence is getting better.''

Working in a bar while trying to stay off the drink ?? Kind of goes against the grain really. But for my favourite part is "I've been a bit shy" fark dude, you pissed on a mans head in a Canberra bar......you're not shy.

Comment

We do not want a neutered Carney at Easts...

Comment

THATS NOT GOOD IT SEEMS HE IS GONNA STAY THERE. THEREFORE WE WONT GET HIM ! WE NEED HIM

Comment

What is this suppose to mean ?

"He had a bad start but the people have been good to him,'' said Leanne, who loves the warmth of north Queensland and will move there in August.
                  Am i being paranoid?

I DEMAND TO KNOW WHY SHE IS MOVING THERE!!!!!

Comment

would have been tough for him to fit in, he would have been plastered all over the new, local and national, everyone would have known who he was.

Perfect example is the 4 idiots that Jumped him in atherton. He would have drawn unwanted attention.

Glad to see that it settled down and pleople are getting to know him.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
                    To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
                    At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
                    Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
                    The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

any idea about the status of his proposed deal with us for next year??

Comment

looking good for now, just keep the fingers crossed! with mum working there too, hes got more reason to stay on track!

Comment

We are probably sponsoring her move.
                          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                          X