Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's now official, people over 65 are
    expendable.
    There is soon going to be a shortage of respirators and people over 65 won't be treated...younger than 65 people will be treated.
    It's official...there are two classes in
    Australia today...under 65 and over 65.
    The lady who sits on the lounge just said...seeing that on the news:
    "I've never felt more worthless".

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
      https://youtu.be/q0PBg_3iVBw

I'm not sure if this link works but its an important vid if you haven't already seen it. About the toilet paper crisis.
      Thank you for that

Comment

• Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
        It's now official, people over 65 are
        expendable.
        There is soon going to be a shortage of respirators and people over 65 won't be treated...younger than 65 people will be treated.
        Where was this announced or where was this quoted?

This is absolutely awful if true, this does not sound true though....

I have heard Holden are offered to make ventilators, why on earth did we offshore jobs and wreck our manufacturing industry is beyond me.....

Take care Bongdi and your missus, make sure you both get through this ok.....
        Originally posted by Bondi Boy

Pathetic!
        What a rabble we are.

Oh well, maybe next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Thank you for that
          Too good not to share mate. Think the southern drawl kind of made it.

Gotta keep our sense of humour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post

How are you coping mate? Hope things can turn around asap.
            Thanks mate.

I'm doing fine. I found out today that I'm ineligible for the Jobseeker element of the stimulus package which sucks. My partner earns more than $1900 per f/n so that means I get **** all. Brilliant! Apparently halving your household budget overnight is no big deal.

But I'm still very fortunate from a financial perspective in that I have no debts, no mortgage, no kids. Unlike my co-workers who also went into centrelink to be told the same thing. They're quite stressed. The stimulus has done ZERO for many of us.

And the loss of the NRL just makes it all worse because it's the release we all need in these times.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post

Where was this announced or where was this quoted?

This is absolutely awful if true, this does not sound true though....

I have heard Holden are offered to make ventilators, why on earth did we offshore jobs and wreck our manufacturing industry is beyond me.....

Take care Bongdi and your missus, make sure you both get through this ok.....
              A Current Affair tonite.
              However, the little lady (she is little) only heard one part.
              ACA reporter interviewed a doctor ....
              Dr Kate.
              What she said was that it could come to an age cut off as to who gets a ventilator if cases surge.
              That doctors could have to make "terrible triage decisions"
              ACA reporter said we have 2000 respirators and could need 60,000.
              Dr Kate mentioned an age cut off of 60 or 65 as in Italy.
              It''s basically what I wrote.
              Anyone over 60 should be very concerned.
              Last edited by bondi.boy; 03-24-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Update on daughter with Qantas , has the form to say she has no job , been to centre link , told she has to get more forms from the bank , got them , now been told she needs more forms from the bank and they are slow supplying them , thought they were making it easier but she was spent 2 days doing this , can't get on the site , phone for 5 hours today , this is.a bloody shamozzle , is that a word

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                  Thanks mate.

I'm doing fine. I found out today that I'm ineligible for the Jobseeker element of the stimulus package which sucks. My partner earns more than $1900 per f/n so that means I get **** all. Brilliant! Apparently halving your household budget overnight is no big deal.

But I'm still very fortunate from a financial perspective in that I have no debts, no mortgage, no kids. Unlike my co-workers who also went into centrelink to be told the same thing. They're quite stressed. The stimulus has done ZERO for many of us.

And the loss of the NRL just makes it all worse because it's the release we all need in these times.
                  jeez, sorry to hear that mate. the package did sound too good to be true , or maybe thats just cynical old me. heard Greenbog on a self righteous waffle tonight on FOX about himself having to take a pay cut , also having 2 student kids who have lost their casual jobs... but ... they will be getting Austudy payments ! which by all accounts is a grand a month ? doesn't seem right does it, when you have real life responsibilities versus others nice little extra handout of pocket money.

Comment

A Current Affair tonite.
                    However, the little lady (she is little) only heard one part.
                    ACA reporter interviewed a doctor ....
                    Dr Kate.
                    What she said was that it could come to an age cut off as to who gets a ventilator if cases surge.
                    That doctors could have to make "terrible triage decisions"
                    ACA reporter said we have 2000 respirators and could need 60,000.
                    Dr Kate mentioned an age cut off of 60 or 65 as in Italy.
                    It''s basically what I wrote.
                    Anyone over 60 should be very concerned.
                    Mate some of the media alarmism on this has been reprehensible. A Current Affair included. They look for an angle to panic people and grab an 'expert' to interview that feeds that narrative.

Watch/read the PM and Chief Health Officers Statements for information.

I watch Sky for news content as they at least aren't deliberately sensationalising this issue, and fanning the flames of panic.

You are in the best country in the world to deal with this.

I think I need to do a 'Media Watch' thread to highlight some of the BS.

Comment

• I hate to say it, Shane Richardson spoke some sense on nrl 360 tonight.

Comment

Mate some of the media alarmism on this has been reprehensible. A Current Affair included. They look for an angle to panic people and grab an 'expert' to interview that feeds that narrative.

I watch Sky for news content as they at least aren't deliberately sensationalising this issue, and fanning the flames of panic.

Agreed. As frightening as it is, it's not a time to panic. It's a time to stay inside and self-isolate so we can end this ASAP.

My heart goes out to all who are doing it rough (and I extend the invite - send through that private message if you're down to your last dollar and need a meal or something... have lived on the street with -$7 to my name... always there for Chookies fans).

Hang in there and be nice to those who love you the most coz they're priceless and things will get better! If you're gonna read news then read the comforting stuff. Remember to talk to your banks and weigh up your options. For example if you can go on a mortgage holiday, withdraw a little bit of your super, sell some old stuff, move in with your parents...etc then do it.

Won't bore people with my long, rambling stories. However, things always pass. COVID-19 will go away and the fundamentals of our economy are strong, so we're we'll be well placed when the time comes. I've had a look at my retirement fund and I haven't even lost money this year (there's a big dip but our last dip was in 2008... I factor in a dip every 10-15 years as part of the cycle so to me, while 'abnormal', this is so-far consistent with my regular appetite for risk). The good news is that lenders and stuff aren't going bust, we're just having a standstill while the virus goes rampant. IMO once confidence picks up again and people can get back to their BAU it'll all be sweet. Until then... let's make sure we all look after those who are doing it tough (particularly those who are sick, have lost jobs or are struggling with businesses) to ease the pain while it lasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Agreed. As frightening as it is, it's not a time to panic. It's a time to stay inside and self-isolate so we can end this ASAP.

My heart goes out to all who are doing it rough (and I extend the invite - send through that private message if you're down to your last dollar and need a meal or something... have lived on the street with -$7 to my name... always there for Chookies fans).

Hang in there and be nice to those who love you the most coz they're priceless and things will get better! If you're gonna read news then read the comforting stuff. Remember to talk to your banks and weigh up your options. For example if you can go on a mortgage holiday, withdraw a little bit of your super, sell some old stuff, move in with your parents...etc then do it.

Won't bore people with my long, rambling stories. However, things always pass. COVID-19 will go away and the fundamentals of our economy are strong, so we're we'll be well placed when the time comes. I've had a look at my retirement fund and I haven't even lost money this year (there's a big dip but our last dip was in 2008... I factor in a dip every 10-15 years as part of the cycle so to me, while 'abnormal', this is so-far consistent with my regular appetite for risk). The good news is that lenders and stuff aren't going bust, we're just having a standstill while the virus goes rampant. IMO once confidence picks up again and people can get back to their BAU it'll all be sweet. Until then... let's make sure we all look after those who are doing it tough (particularly those who are sick, have lost jobs or are struggling with businesses) to ease the pain while it lasts.
                          well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Very good post mate.

Comment

I can't believe the number of panicking ill-informed people calling for a "total shut down".

They have no idea what that means to the economy.

I understand why they are doing it. Because of media alarmism.

Surely the people making the decisions have better access to information than a bunch of people on Twitter.

Probably unpopular opinion but I think the PM has risen to the challenge.

Comment

It's now official, people over 65 are
                                expendable.
                                Ridiculous

Tens of thousands of people are now out of work and thousands of businesses closed down to protect those over 65 people.

Comment

Working...
                                X