Realistically - I reckon we are at least 3-4 years off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak View Post
    Haha we've gone way off track Melon. The original argument was about whether there was a need to buy a fullback for the next 3 years. I've never said he should play the whole season. I would bring him in very similar to the way Tasi was last season. And although I do rate a fair few of the NYC boys chances to make first grade here or at another club I by no means want to throw them all in immediately thinking they'll be anywhere near as effective. Despite my excitement I do not expect Moga to be a superstar straight away, nor would I expect him to play a full season in his rookie year. I'd say in a team with average halves he will have only a solid rookie year and defensively he will probably struggle a bit. But if you expect these kids to wait in the wings for two years just because they are young then they will definitely leave. They will be offered more money and a full time fg spot somewhere else and even if they're not ready they will go and we will be left with Justin Carney.

And c'mon mate, you can't say Justin Carney is a player like Willie Tonga. Tonga and anyone at his level would demand a first grade spot and Moga would not get a look in for the duration of that players contract. And to play him at wing would be pretty dumb. He's a centre and I would be disappointed if Smith used him on the wing at all next year.

Also, Ryan Williamson is a terrible comparison and I don't know why everyone keeps making it. He never did anything in NYC. In fact he was extremely average. He dominated SG Ball because of his strength one on one. Against the cream of the crop he just didn't have much of an advantage anymore. Moga has proven himself against all opposition so it's not the same at all.
    In terms of experience, relative to Moga, JCarney is like Steve Ella. You missed my point. JCarey isnt Tonga. Tonga isnt at Easts, so the arguement is moot. Fullback - well if teh pom is committed in Super league for at least 3 more years, we are still in teh same position missing a very string link in the spine of this team.

The point this whole thread is we arent ready, if we are relying on success in 2012 and 2013 based on the elevation of 2 or 3 players form NYC. Thats why the original discussion, not about a fullback, was about how much time i think we need to be real contenders. And whilst most think 2013, Im not expecting anything close until 14 or 15. Now dont get me wrong, we will see some great performances, but we will also lose a few against the top sides like melbourne and Brisbane. manly are finished.
    Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
      Clubs with space in their cap like Parramatta and the Bulldogs will be ready to pick the best of what we will have by then.
      Are you seriously suggesting that Parramatta and the Bulldogs will have more cap space than us in 2013?

Comment

I was using Tonga as an analogy. Buying a Brett Stewart for 3-4 years and keeping RTS or Wells from grade that long is like buying Tonga and keeping Moga out of grade for the length of Tonga's contract.

I don't think we'll be serious contenders in 2013 either realistically. I said in my original reply to the post 2014. By that stage i think either RTS or Wells will have had a full year as fullback. They will both be 21. And the rest of the squad will be very solid and all have between 70-100 games under their belts. I mean essentially we're agreeing mate. We just have differing levels of optimism (and perceptions of realism) regarding young players is all.

One thing I don't get is why you think the Broncos will do so well based on your argument regarding the Roosters chances. The will be playing a rookie at 6 next year and that is one of the positions you've said that you need an established player.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak View Post
          I was using Tonga as an analogy. Buying a Brett Stewart for 3-4 years and keeping RTS or Wells from grade that long is like buying Tonga and keeping Moga out of grade for the length of Tonga's contract.

I don't think we'll be serious contenders in 2013 either realistically. I said in my original reply to the post 2014. By that stage i think either RTS or Wells will have had a full year as fullback. They will both be 21. And the rest of the squad will be very solid and all have between 70-100 games under their belts. I mean essentially we're agreeing mate. We just have differing levels of optimism (and perceptions of realism) regarding young players is all.

One thing I don't get is why you think the Broncos will do so well based on your argument regarding the Roosters chances. The will be playing a rookie at 6 next year and that is one of the positions you've said that you need an established player.
          Broncos have unlimited depth. For every 20 players they burn, they unearth an origin star. We dont have that. they will always be a mountain to overcome, wave after wave with the entire state's juniors to themselves.
          Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
            Broncos have unlimited depth. For every 20 players they burn, they unearth an origin star. We dont have that. they will always be a mountain to overcome, wave after wave with the entire state's juniors to themselves.
            And when they can't find a queensland junior, some bloke from Minto will do.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Red. View Post
              Are you seriously suggesting that Parramatta and the Bulldogs will have more cap space than us in 2013?
              They always have more space..

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X