Easts permanently close Woy Woy Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easts permanently close Woy Woy Leagues

news coming from the woy woy Roosters club Facebook page (the leagues club page hasn’t announced it yet)

“Its with much regret that we received notice that Woy Woy Leagues club has permanently closed it's doors. The current uncertainty with COVID-19 and the continuing trading losses that the club has sustained had pushed the Easts Group board into this decision. I'd like to offer our thoughts and best wishes to Craig, the staff and all members of the club as well as their families. The loss of the club as a supporter of local sport and the community will be felt of a countless number of people. The history of and events that have been held in the club will be fondly remembered. It's a very sad and dissapointing day for all concerned. It doesn't mean the end of the footy clubs just a refocus and some new beginnings. The support of and the relationship forged between the Leagues club and both the junior and senior footy clubs has been greatly appreciated over the years. We'll be working hard at forging new relationships and partnerships to keep the Roosters spirit alive. Please all be safe and take care. Up the Roosters Tim”

Fark

Comment

Spike Milligan would be turning in his grave
      Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Part of our march into the Central Coast.
        This one didn't work out, very small club, very small suburb, and not everyone would be a Roosters supporter.
        If you lived there would you enter that club if it had a rabbit logo out the front?

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
          Part of our march into the Central Coast.
          This one didn't work out, very small club, very small suburb, and not everyone would be a Roosters supporter.
          If you lived there would you enter that club if it had a rabbit logo out the front?
          I live in Canberra and am [gasp] a member of the Raiders' club. I go into various Raiders' clubs for a cheap indoor beer and schnitty with a large play area for the kids. Doesn't mean I have to like the Raiders... in fact my son regularly trolls Raiders fans by reminding them that he saw them lose against the Roosters last year.

Overall they fit the mould of 'leagues clubs'. I regularly see people at random leagues clubs wearing random colours, supporting their out of town team. As a kid growing up in wollongong there was a bloke called 'Kimbo' who fit the mould of Barney Gumble. He drank at the Steelers club wearing a Balmain jersey (always had bloodshot eyes). His hobbies involved collecting reflectors off roads (he'd kick 'em off then keep 'em) and kicking kids' footies onto roofs (you'd always run a mile when he asked if he could boot your footy coz he had some good height/range... just zero accuracy).
          Last edited by ism22; 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

News of any clubs or pubs closing after this hit is sad. I fear there will be more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
              News of any clubs or pubs closing after this hit is sad. I fear there will be more to come.
              Think that club might've been losing money before the virus hit.
              I went there twice after games at Gosford...once before it was renovated, once after...and once on a weekday to Woy Woy to visit friends.
              Wasn't impressed, and wondered about the wisdom of it all then.
              The second time, the food wasn't very nice.
              Woy Woy seems stuck in a time warp.
              Nice place if you want to sit by the water in the lovely park and watch the ducks...relax and float your mind off into dreamland for a while.
              Cycling, walking, and boating seem popular.
              Bondi, and bright lights of the gambling city it is not.
              Nightlife? don't think so. Looks like it might be "all in bed by 8pm".
              It's a nice, quiet, sleepy hollow ...which is very lovely if that's what you desire.

Guess Easts Group own the building, maybe they can rent it out or sell it.
              Last edited by bondi.boy; 04-09-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

I live in Canberra and am [gasp] a member of the Raiders' club. I go into various Raiders' clubs for a cheap indoor beer and schnitty with a large play area for the kids. Doesn't mean I have to like the Raiders... in fact my son regularly trolls Raiders fans by reminding them that he saw them lose against the Roosters last year.

Overall they fit the mould of 'leagues clubs'. I regularly see people at random leagues clubs wearing random colours, supporting their out of town team. As a kid growing up in wollongong there was a bloke called 'Kimbo' who fit the mould of Barney Gumble. He drank at the Steelers club wearing a Balmain jersey (always had bloodshot eyes). His hobbies involved collecting reflectors off roads (he'd kick 'em off then keep 'em) and kicking kids' footies onto roofs (you'd always run a mile when he asked if he could boot your footy coz he had some good height/range... just zero accuracy).
                Mate, theres no shame in it. If you live in Canb, you are a member of at least one Raiders club site. Im like you, Wed nights at the Mawson club are our schnitty and Trivia nights and I have no probs spending money there to support locally. If this town didnt have the Raiders, it would be a pretty damn cold and miserable place and the comp wouldnt be the same.

Souffs on the other hand can go and get farked!
                Last edited by rented tracksuit; 04-09-2020, 12:44 PM.
                FVCK CANCER

Comment

Thoughts from a former CC resident:

- It's a bitch to get anywhere on the Cennie Coast. Everything is miles and miles apart and almost no public transport. Big disincentive to go out and drink.
                  - That particular Club was the definition of 'meh'. Bland location, bland building, bland food.
                  - It's the last place anyone under the age of 65 in the Peninsula area would go for a beer. And sure as hell no one is going to travel from other parts of the coast to go somewhere like Woy Woy Leagues.

I don't think the closure reflects negatively at all on the Sydney Roosters.

Comment

site will be sold to developers one assumes

Comment

What we should do is buy Central Coast Leagues Club...as Central Coast Roosters...and own the Central Coast properly.
                      Last edited by bondi.boy; 04-20-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/ce...-leagues-club/

Some more insight from this article - not sure what the future holds for the site but the club was about to close when Easts agreed to pitch in from 2012 paying $100k each year at a loss. They had been working on proposal of a new club the included office space and over 55's accommodation but this proposal was rejected by the NSW govt meaning Easts had already lost $800k before the Covid-19 crisis.

After Covid-19 passes, Easts have agreed to provide their juniors with a $20k grant per year for 3 years (with an option to extend to 5)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post
                          https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/ce...-leagues-club/

Some more insight from this article - not sure what the future holds for the site but the club was about to close when Easts agreed to pitch in from 2012 paying $100k each year at a loss. They had been working on proposal of a new club the included office space and over 55's accommodation but this proposal was rejected by the NSW govt meaning Easts had already lost $800k before the Covid-19 crisis.

After Covid-19 passes, Easts have agreed to provide their juniors with a $20k grant per year for 3 years (with an option to extend to 5)
                          I think that's what they are planning for the spring street bondi junction club as well-Waverley bowls too I seem to recall

Comment

Working...
                          X