• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Politis demands a restart to the competition

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...402ee3ae0f9ef1
    EASTS TO WIN!

Please post the text.
    Originally posted by jism
    I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Roosters boss Nick Politis demands the NRL restart the competition ladder

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
      April 11, 2020 6:34pm
      Subscriber only
      The NRL’s most influential official, billionaire Roosters boss Nick Politis, is demanding the season be restarted on May 28 with all 16 clubs on zero points to protect the integrity of the competition.

In a rare public outburst as the Roosters attempt to become the first side in 37 years to win a treble of premierships, Politis says the competition will become “meaningless” if it resumes over 13 games.

“If you change the draw, you’ve got to start again,” he said.

It is estimated clubs will need a minimum 16 points to make the top eight under a 15-round competition format or 22 points to make the top four.

“It’s like changing the race from a Melbourne Cup (two miles) to a Doncaster (one mile) after it’s already started,” Politis said.

MORE IN sport Liverpool legend has contracted COVID-19
      Liverpool legend has contracted COVID-19 New faces join RA’s push for crucial pay deal
      New faces join RA’s push for crucial pay deal

“It becomes meaningless and makes it almost mathematically impossible for the bottom sides to make the top four.

Relive classic NRL matches from the 60s to today on KAYO SPORTS. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly > The Roosters are winless so far in 2020. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
      “We have been preparing all along for a 24-round season. That’s why we rested Boyd Cordner for the first two games.”

Politis insists the NRL should play out the full season into November if the premiership table is to stay as is.

“This isn’t just about the Roosters,” he said. “It’s about the integrity of the competition and giving every club and their fans a fair chance.”

The NRL is still undecided about a schedule for the resumption of the competition.

There is still talk of two conferences, playing each other twice, or another 13 more rounds to allow each club to play each other once. Now there are suggestions of adding rivalry rounds to stretch the season out.

The New Zealand Warriors and the Cronulla Sharks are supporting Politis.

Warriors CEO Cameron George said: “The landscape of the competition has changed dramatically. Politis rarely makes public outbursts.
      “If we’re sitting here now with 22 rounds to go, the chances of making the top four, top six or top eight are far more achievable than trying to do it with 13 games left.

“Are they going to change the draw? That in itself makes it a new competition.”

Sharks boss Dino Mezzatesta says the same thing.

“We’ve played finals football for the last five years,” he said. “It would be devastating for our fans to miss out this year because it’s a shortened season.

“We lost really close games to Souths and Storm but showed enough to think we could make the finals again. Under the new format, it makes it so much harder.”

The New Zealand Warriors are already at a disadvantage of having to move from their homes and families in New Zealand to set up a permanent base in Sydney.

They also had to give up a home game to play the Canberra Raiders on the Gold Coast.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill declined to get involved. Warriors CEO Cameron George also believes the competition should be reset. Photo by Dave Rowland/Getty Images.
      “Once we know the competition structure, we can have the debate,” he said. “There are various models ranging from a seven-game season to 15 games.”

Undefeated Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is ready for a fight to keep his competition points.

“I promise you I would fight this for my players, our sponsors and every single Raiders fan,” he said.

“I’m positive Trent Robinson, who is on the innovations committee, understands how hard players work in preparation for the start of the season — and deserve their results.”

There has been much talk of club bias on the Apollo innovation committee.

While Robinson and Wayne Bennett are there, so too is Raiders boss Don Furner and Wayne Pearce, whose son Mitchell is undefeated this year at the Knights.

Comment

If those 2 games form part of the season them I am against removing the points, I know if we had won those games we would be against removing them.

Comment

Sorry Nick but I don’t think you are that powerful.

Comment

I love Uncle Nick but it is people's lives that we're dealing with. I have parents in their 70's and if them making it through this means there's no football for a year then so bloody be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
              I love Uncle Nick but it is people's lives that we're dealing with. I have parents in their 70's and if them making it through this means there's no football for a year then so bloody be it.
              Couldn’t agree more Johnny.

Comment

If the comp resumes in round 3, where it left off...why can't it, just extend the season by a month...then the points stay.
                If there's a whole new comp, then every team should be starting on zero points.

Comment

I'll reiterate, stuff handing over the trophy to some half assed, emergency no crowd comp. This pandemic has caused way more serious consequences than one cancelled footy season.

All to keep channel nine from pulling the plug. Let them. Give it to ch 7 next year.

BTW, I'm aware that alot of fans are keen for a footy fix, I don't want to deny anyone, just my 2 cents.

Comment

I also don't think there should be any footy this year. I also think this is a terrible look for Nick to come out and say this considering we lost our first two games. Even if the comp is 15 rounds and the draw is altered, in my opinion they should still stand. We played thinking 2 points were on offer, we played like shit and didn't deserve the 2 pts

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
                      I also don't think there should be any footy this year. I also think this is a terrible look for Nick to come out and say this considering we lost our first two games. Even if the comp is 15 rounds and the draw is altered, in my opinion they should still stand. We played thinking 2 points were on offer, we played like shit and didn't deserve the 2 pts
                      Agree but only if everyone plays all teams once then it's fair , everyone should keep whatever points they donor don't have , but I'm staring to feel just skip the season , the no spectators was aweful
                      Last edited by Rooster1908; 04-11-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Agree but only if everyone plays all teams once then it's fair , everyone should keep whatever points they donor don't have , but I'm staring to feel just skip the season , fore the no spectators was aweful
                        Yes definitely only if we play each once.

Can you imagine if the NRL rush back, first sport basically in the world to resume and players contract and spread the virus to loved ones ??

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
                          We played thinking the comp was 26 rounds or whatever, as did every other team..
                          They can't just cancel that comp and start a totally different comp with a lot less matches and have some teams starting on 4 points and 2 points and other teams on zero points.
                          That is totally unfair.
                          It basically turns the Melbourne Cup into a sprint race..
                          Call in the lawyers!

Comment

And if they rush back the others such as clubs and restaurants' will want to reopen , we need to be smart , I for one was a bon believer thinking it was just a flu but its obviously more than that and we need to think before we do something we regret and can't reverse. err on the side of caution .

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X