X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Jake Friend Story

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/i-c...f38933a36ab3a4

Nice.
    Friend's defense in last year's GF was crucial to our victory.

Comment

In th time I’ve followed the Roosters I rate Friend as the best & toughest hooker the club has ever had.
      2nd Craig Wing
      3rd Johnny Lang
      4th Jeff Masterman
      5th Elvyn Walters
      Simon Bonnetti just misses out.

Comment

Agree he would be one of the toughest in a long while in the comp , no doubt he could have played hooker in the bad old days had he been around , Cameron Smith on the other hand although a great modern day hooker would have lasted 5 minutes

Comment

Craig wing at number 2 rating interesting but i dont think so bonetti easly better

Comment

also bonetti retired well b4 his time would of been ine of the best in nrl tough,tackled,gr8 ball delivery not flash but farrrk he was safe and timed a run when need most

Comment

Engaged ("to a good Greek girl").
              That's nice, I'm very happy for him.
              Hope they live a long and happy life together.

Comment

Nice one HC, thanks for that.

I too would have included Simon Bonetti in my top five list, albeit probably at the lower end.
                MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                  Engaged ("to a good Greek girl").
                  That's nice, I'm very happy for him.
                  Hope they live a long and happy life together.
                  I dunno...once they are married they will just be Friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

I dunno...once they are married they will just be Friends.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                      In th time I’ve followed the Roosters I rate Friend as the best & toughest hooker the club has ever had.
                      2nd Craig Wing
                      3rd Johnny Lang
                      4th Jeff Masterman
                      5th Elvyn Walters
                      Simon Bonnetti just misses out.
                      Jeez you’re an only bastard!

Wayne Marshall was a good little player.

Comment

Craig Wing was a better player - he was an absolute beast - but Friendy is a greater Rooster.

He's laying down a case as the greatest Rooster of the NRL era when you take everything into account.

A captain, 250 odd games, a great one club man & awesome down to earth bloke, bleeds for the jersey, arguably the toughest Rooster I've ever seen, 4 GFs, 3 Premierships.

Not a bad career in the RWB to date!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                          Craig Wing was a better player - he was an absolute beast - but Friendy is a greater Rooster.

He's laying down a case as the greatest Rooster of the NRL era when you take everything into account.

A captain, 250 odd games, a great one club man & awesome down to earth bloke, bleeds for the jersey, arguably the toughest Rooster I've ever seen, 4 GFs, 3 Premierships.

Not a bad career in the RWB to date!
                          Freddy has probably had more influence but Jake has been so reliable for such a long time.

I'm an older supporter and grew up in the 70's and 80's. The late 80's early 90's was such a tough time to be a Chook but Freddy turned all that around for us single handedly. We went from being the laughing stock to a legitimate contender straight away and he was the main reason for that. Because of this, he will always rank as my greatest Rooster.

Jake has been a great servant and will go down in history as probably out best dummy half of the modern era. I can't compare him to payers like Lang, Masterman or Walters because the position has changed so much since they played the game. Back in their day, you're primary duty was to win an even share of the scrums, tackle and give good service. Now, a hooker has to have running, kicking and passing game. Of our modern hookers, Wing was easily the best. People saying Bonetti was better are looking back through rose coloured glasses. Wing was as tough, and as good a defender as Bonetti, but was absolutely scintillating out of dummy half. Bonetti might have had better service but that's about the only area he was superior to Wing.

Comment

Funny that everyone seems to love Jake so much and rate him so highly yet during the season he is so highly criticised. Many were insistent on him not being in the 17 for the GF.

Comment

great stuff. gotta love Friendy.

Comment

Working...
                              X